Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if those who have this set could describe the previously unreleased cuts.

The On the Corner stuff is great. It includes the segment used by Bill Laswell for “What If” on Panthalassa.

“Chieftain,” as I mentioned before, is the same tune that opens In Concert at Philharmonic Hall.

The “Turnaround” tracks are the same tune from the second part of “Prelude” on Agharta. Some of this music was used on Panthalassa.

“The Hen,” “Big Fun-Hollwuud,” and “Peace” are kind of dull along the “Billy Preston” lines and lack the edge the band had in its live shows.

“Mr. Foster,” recorded the day after “Calypso Frelimo” in 1973, is a good one. It sounds like “For Dave,” which closes Agharta and Pangaea and is on the latter part of Side 2 of Dark Magus. Confusingly, the more mainstream “Minnie” from 1975 is also known as “Mr. Foster.”

“Hip Skip” and “What They Do” are from 1974 and include Dominique Gaumont on guitar. The former song features Pete Cosey on drums and was performed on a few live bootlegs from this period; the latter is a great stop-start guitar-fueled rave-up not unlike the “Turnaroundphrase” finale on Dark Magus.

No complaints from me on the music, quality of the mastering or presentation of the set - all superb.

The essays could have been a bit 'meatier' I guess, although Paul Buckmaster's recollections are very interesting (Stockhausen being put on the autochanger etc).

That first page drawing of the 'devil' playing the tambourine sure had me laughing my head off though. Inspired ! :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

It would be great if those who have this set could describe the previously unreleased cuts.

The On the Corner stuff is great. It includes the segment used by Bill Laswell for “What If” on Panthalassa.

“Chieftain,” as I mentioned before, is the same tune that opens In Concert at Philharmonic Hall.

The “Turnaround” tracks are the same tune from the second part of “Prelude” on Agharta. Some of this music was used on Panthalassa.

“The Hen,” “Big Fun-Hollwuud,” and “Peace” are kind of dull along the “Billy Preston” lines and lack the edge the band had in its live shows.

“Mr. Foster,” recorded the day after “Calypso Frelimo” in 1973, is a good one. It sounds like “For Dave,” which closes Agharta and Pangaea and is on the latter part of Side 2 of Dark Magus. Confusingly, the more mainstream “Minnie” from 1975 is also known as “Mr. Foster.”

“Hip Skip” and “What They Do” are from 1974 and include Dominique Gaumont on guitar. The former song features Pete Cosey on drums and was performed on a few live bootlegs from this period; the latter is a great stop-start guitar-fueled rave-up not unlike the “Turnaroundphrase” finale on Dark Magus.

Thanks for those descriptions. I hadn't planned to get this box, but now I will.

Good ears! Woulda taken me forever to figure that out...may I quote you in a review I'm writing?

Dana

PS Is your avatar the rare AA Hot Rod Hits LP?

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Actually, the previously issued tracks are all in their original mixes. Guess there's some extra beef in the mastering.

Must be (although the 'Big Fun' 2CD did also sound pretty good).

Incidentally, it's also interesting just how much of the material on 'Unknown Sessions' CDs 1 to 3 from the 72-75 period didn't make it onto this set.

Edited by sidewinder

Actually, the previously issued tracks are all in their original mixes. Guess there's some extra beef in the mastering.

Incidentally, it's also interesting just how much of the material on 'Unknown Sessions' CDs 1 to 3 from the 72-75 period didn't make it onto this set.

What are the Unknown Sessions CDs 1 to 3 from the 72-75 period?

What are the Unknown Sessions CDs 1 to 3 from the 72-75 period?

These were collections of studio out-takes, which appeared on 'dime' not too long ago.

Just noticed today also that Amazon UK's price dropped down to £44.99 ;)

Edited by sidewinder

A discographical question....

The 'Unedited master' of 'One and One' (which is completely different to the issued track and which was party issued as 'What If' on Panthalassa) is credited to the June 6th session, where one David Creamer played guitar.

But... that has to be McLaughlin on guitar! So, is the date wrong? Is the attribution of the title wrong? Is Creamer a note-for-note McLaughlin clone? :unsure:

(Edited to note this is one of the highlights of the box for me.....)

Edited by Rosco