Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

Got mine from CDU today, but there's a decent-sized dent in the lower right corner. It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything, but it's a little bit of a drag.

Should I ask for a replacement, or would that be too picky? It costs over $100, after all.

Mine's got a dent on the upper left even though CDU packed it in that styrofoam popcorn stuff. I noticed that as with the only other metal box (the Miles/Trane) it's slightly difficult to get the "book" in and out. But great looking package.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this one today (not by mail, but from a friend at Sony-BMG :) ), but will wait until the weekend before I start to get through the box. BTW, it's almost impossible to get the book/discs out of the box.

Yes, Daniel, the spine is not strong enough to stay wrapped around the contents.

If you check the Miles/Coltrane box - also 'metal in metal' - you'll find the spine is thicker and stronger.

This is a mistake!

Yes, Daniel, the spine is not strong enough to stay wrapped around the contents.

If you check the Miles/Coltrane box - also 'metal in metal' - you'll find the spine is thicker and stronger.

This is a mistake!

I checked, and you're right. Most certainly to cut costs.

Can it be safely assumed that this box will come out later in a long box, no metal spine, somewhat cheaper version as the other Miles Columbia boxes have all done?

I think so - if the initial run is selling out, that is. The Sony guy (not that he knows everything, but I trust him on this) said that the long boxes are much cheaper to produce - understandably - and that further, presumably smaller, runs of previous boxes therefore are manufactured in this design.

Can it be safely assumed that this box will come out later in a long box, no metal spine, somewhat cheaper version as the other Miles Columbia boxes have all done?

Yeah, but this is the best packaging of all the boxes. The embossed characters are a riot!

I'm quite enjoying the track 'Minnie' on CD5, which is also on one of those 'Unknown Sessions' boot CDs as 'Latin' but with about 5 takes. The tune has quite a resemblance, of course, to the Ripperton single 'Loving You', which must have been a hit at around the time this session was done.

Edited by sidewinder

But they all haven't come out in the longbox. The Seven Steps and the Cellar Door sets have yet to appear in the longbox, so I'm wondering if they are even still producing those.

'Jabali' is a real gem on disk 1 - so good it's suprising that it didn't get issued at the time. I really like the reverb keyboard effects used on this track (Harold Ivory Williams? Lonnie Liston Smith?) and the brooding use of the bass clarinet a la Bitches Brew. The sound has been cleaned up considerably too from 'Unknown Sessions'.

Am I correct in thinking that with this set Columbia has released in a box set every studio cut by Mile they put out through '75 except the cuts sans Coltrane from Someday My Prince will Come? I almost wrote every thing they recorded but according to the notes to this box there were at least a couple of things considered not worthy of release.

Am I correct in thinking that with this set Columbia has released in a box set every studio cut by Mile they put out through '75 except the cuts sans Coltrane from Someday My Prince will Come? I almost wrote every thing they recorded but according to the notes to this box there were at least a couple of things considered not worthy of release.

The Music for Brass album isn't included anywhere:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=561020

October 20, 1956 (1 item; TT = 10:40)

Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York NY

Commercial for Columbia

Brass Ensemble of the Jazz and Classical Music Society

Miles Davis (tpt, flh); J.J. Johnson (tb); Joe Wilder (tpt); Bernie Glow (tpt); Arthur Statter (tpt); Joe Wilder (tpt); Mel Broiles (tpt); Carmine Fornarotto (tpt); Isidore Blank (tpt); Jimmy Buffington (frh); Joe Singer (frh); Ray Alonge (frh); Art Sussman (frh); J.J. Johnson (tb); Urbie Green (tb); John Clark (tb); Bill Barber (tuba); Milt Hinton (b); Osie Johnson (d); Dick Horowitz (perc)

1 Three Little Feelings (J. Lewis) 10:40

Three Little Feelings

12" LP: Columbia CL 941 (= PC 37012), CBS/Sony SONP 50200 (= 20AP 1480)

CD: Columbia CK 64929, CBS/Sony 25DP 5328, Sony SRCS 5696

Davis plays both trumpet and fluegelhorn, and solos on both instruments. The first solo is on trumpet; for the remainder of the tune he plays fluegelhorn.

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=561023

October 23, 1956 (2 items; TT = 14:21)

Commercial for Columbia

Brass Ensemble of the Jazz and Classical Music Society

Miles Davis (tpt, flh); J.J. Johnson (tb); Joe Wilder (tpt); Bernie Glow (tpt); Arthur Statter (tpt); Joe Wilder (tpt); Mel Broiles (tpt); Carmine Fornarotto (tpt); Isidore Blank (tpt); Jimmy Buffington (frh); Joe Singer (frh); Ray Alonge (frh); Art Sussman (frh); J.J. Johnson (tb); Urbie Green (tb); John Clark (tb); Bill Barber (tuba); Milt Hinton (b); Osie Johnson (d); Dick Horowitz (perc)

1 Jazz Suite for Brass (J.J. Johnson) [Poem for Brass] 9:54

2 Pharaoh (J. Giuffre) 4:27

Davis out

Jazz Suite for Brass

Pharaoh

Davis solos on fluegelhorn on "Poem for Brass"; the trumpet solo is by Joe Wilder. Davis does not play on "Pharaoh," and Joe Singer and Bernie Glow are impressive for both accuracy and range.

Last reissued in the compilation Birth of the Third Stream in 1996 but probably hard to find these days.

There was also a previous discussion as whether this session counted as a Davis/ Coltrane Columbia recording or not:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=580625

June 25, 1958 (4 items; TT = 15:42)

Commercial for Columbia

Michel Legrand and His Orchestra

Miles Davis (tpt); John Coltrane (ts); Phil Woods (as); Jerome Richardson (bs, bcl); Herbie Mann (fl); Barry Galbraith (g); Betty Glamann (harp); Eddie Costa (vb); Bill Evans (p); Paul Chambers (b); Kenny Dennis (d); Michel Legrand (arr, cond)

1 Wild Man Blues (L. Armstrong-F. Morton) 3:20

2 'Round Midnight (B. Hanighen-C. Williams-T. Monk) 2:56

3 The Jitterbug Waltz (F. Waller) 5:15

4 Django (J. Lewis) 4:11

Coltrane, Woods, Richardson, Mann out

Wild Man Blues

12" LP: Columbia CL 1250 (= CS 8079), CBS/Sony SONP 50200

CD: Philips 830 074, Philips (J) EJD-3013

'Round Midnight

The Jitterbug Waltz

Django

Legrand was under contract with Columbia to record "mood music" -- his I Love Paris, Vienna Holiday, Holiday in Rome, Castles in Spain, and Bonjour Paris all sold well and were popular among swingers in the late 1950s. Although these arrangements sound a bit precious, and Coltrane in particular sounds constrained, Davis and Evans have some fine moments.

Two other sessions in Columbia Studios for this record, June 27 and 30, do not involve Davis or any members of the Sextet.

Nor is the initially released master of "Go Ahead John" on any of the box sets. The raw takes are on the Jack Johnson box, but to get the mix/edit that Teo did for Big Fun you have to buy Big Fun. If you buy Big Fun in its bonus track form and do the same for BB (2 2cd sets instead of the 4cd BB box), you get the final mix of "Go Ahead John" and most of the other good stuff from that period but you do miss some stuff. To get evrything you'd end up with a bunch of repeats...

Nor is the initially released master of "Go Ahead John" on any of the box sets. The raw takes are on the Jack Johnson box, but to get the mix/edit that Teo did for Big Fun you have to buy Big Fun. If you buy Big Fun in its bonus track form and do the same for BB (2 2cd sets instead of the 4cd BB box), you get the final mix of "Go Ahead John" and most of the other good stuff from that period but you do miss some stuff. To get evrything you'd end up with a bunch of repeats...

What edits or takes are on the 2-disc version of BB that's not on the 4 CD box? I have both now and am contemplating selling my 2 disc version. Or am I misreading something?

What edits or takes are on the 2-disc version of BB that's not on the 4 CD box? I have both now and am contemplating selling my 2 disc version. Or am I misreading something?

other way round, if you get the BF & BB 2cd sets you miss some of what's on the 4cd BB box, but get the master mix of "Go Ahead John" on BF...clear?