Miles - On the Corner and Beyond

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest youmustbe

And oh yes, Miles 80's period, I have closet full of tapes, mostly mine, is boring, except the 85 band which is as good as anything Miles did... his lip came back by 85...he plays so much!...I was playing an 85 DC gig that I taped, for Sco and he said he didn't realize it was THAT GOOD! Yes it was! 86 had some good gigs, but by then Miles couldn't play as much. When I booked him in 1991, he could hardly play. If your idea is to listen to long solos by Foley, well, it was what it was because Miles was/is Miles and that's why anything of his that is put out will be bought. Sorry, about that, you self produced guys and gals!

BTW Isn't it wonderful that Jazz musicians are producing their own records and don't have to listen to know nothing producers who don't understand their artistic yearnings, guys like Avakian, Macero, Lion, Keepnews and Taylor? Boy, those guys really held the 'artists' back, didn't they?

You know the sound will be improved.

Wow. I hope it comes out. I have my doubts. But then I would, seeing the email from Belden that I did.

But man. . . I want it. I remember that it took about two or three years from when I saw the track listing for the Cellar Door set and when it came out. Hope that doesn't happen this go round.

Wasn't that announced in 2000? It took 5 years for that box to appear

Guest youmustbe

The 'Scandal' was simply that vVnce hated Adam Holzman who produced the record and wanted his name removed from box, from toilet walls, from existance... AsI have posted elsewhere, Adam took me to Sony studios many years ago, the first time he was allowed to hear the tapes...so I was there at the beginning! Me, adam and Debra Parkinson, the enginner...not only a terrific mastering enginner but beautiful too!!! A wonderful Sunday afternoon!

The Cellar Door box isn't anything special. Keith overplays...really kinda boring. The true On The Corner band in 72, early 73, is the one, with the keyboatd player....sounds wonderfully fucked up!

So, it's Holzman not Beldon that Vince hates? Interesting. Can't agree about the Cellar Door material being uninteresting. Did you hear anything more than what was issued? To me and tens of thousands of others evrything Miles did was interesting, that's why there willbe a Beyond theCorner box...someday.

Reading the lines (and between them), I get the impression Vince didn’t like the mentions in Paul Tingen’s Miles Beyond of him getting canned by his uncle. Holzman was a bandmate at the time and is a major source in the book, so Vince probably blames Holzman. Petty stuff.

It’s a shame a dispute between two minor figures from late in Miles’ career held things up.

And I think the Cellar Door material is fantastic.

The Cellar Door box isn't anything special. Keith overplays...really kinda boring. The true On The Corner band in 72, early 73, is the one, with the keyboatd player....sounds wonderfully fucked up!

I disagree. The Cellar Door band is fantastic. The On the Corner band had its moments but Miles definitely knew what he was doing when he revamped it into the Dark Magus-Pangaea-Agharta lineup.

Guy

Edited by Guy

If Vince wants to hold up a box of Miles's 80's Columbia stuff from being released, I am in his corner!

I dunno man, Star People, Decoy, & Aura all get it done rather nicely, I think.

And I kinda wanna hear those Rubber Band sessions (I think that's what they were called), in full, including the material that later went into the Doo-Bop soup.

Actually my post is based on total ignorance; I've never heard any of his post 1975 stuff, but so far have felt no interest in it wanting to hear it. It's always possible, and very much in my character, that I would want to hear it. I'm sure now I'll go & listen to clips at amazon.