True Confessions!

gdogus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread reminds me of 'Humilation', the game played by English Literature professors in a David Lodge campus novel. The object is to win the game by humiliating yourself the most, by declaring a major work of literature you have never read (bearing in mind it is your job to have read them). One guy wins hands down by admitting he has never read Hamlet. He wins, but he gets sacked when his boss finds out.

On the topic of academic ignorance I quite like the Don DeLillo Novel White Noise where the protagonist is a Hitler expert in the US organising an international Hitler conference and realising that the fact he does not speak or read German is going to be exposed.

You guys are right up there! ;) Including you Brownie!! ;);)

Heh heh. Good thread though. :tup:tup

No Armstrong, Basie, Goodman, Tatum or Waller...

.....1 Dizzy...

....1 Ellington...

......no Coltrane Impulse years...

.....no Pharoah, Shepp or Ornette....

.....no post-'66 Miles.....

....nor SUN RA.....

No wonder you post that silly crap in the political thread. :cool:

If I was your wristwatch down yonder at least you would show up for appointments on time. But if you wore a Reptet Deluxe watch, you'd be so off the mark you'd still be pacing up and down Washington Street looking for the entrance to your old record shop. ^_^:P

This thread reminds me of 'Humiliation', the game played by English Literature professors in a David Lodge campus novel. The object is to win the game by humiliating yourself the most, by declaring a major work of literature you have never read (bearing in mind it is your job to have read them). One guy wins hands down by admitting he has never read Hamlet. He wins, but he gets sacked when his boss finds out.

Oh, oh, I can play that game...

I've been "professional" Symphony Chorus singer (baritone) for 10 or 11 years, but I've NEVER sung any more of Handel's "Messiah" than just the Hallelujah Chorus!! :o

This is no small feat either, as I've had probably 12 to 14 "expected" opportunities to sing The Messiah over the years. And if you just count ALL the "opportunities" I've had to sing this war horse (including attempts to recruit me to sing it with this community chorus, or that church choir, or various annual Messiah "sing-alongs"), the number is probably much closer to 30(!).

But after 10+ years of professional choral singing, it's getting harder and harder to avoid. I'm on a yearlong sabbatical currently from the KC Symphony Chorus, but I'm hoping to return to the group next year, mid-season --- conveniently after the annual Messiah performances that we do every year around Thanksgiving. (Most years I have to be out of town for Thanksgiving, with family commitments --- yeah, that’s right, "family commitments" ;) .)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Brownie -- I didn't have much (or maybe any) Miller either until I ran across a used copy a while back of the 3-CD "Secret Broadcasts" set (RCA) -- stuff the Miller AAF Band recorded in the U.S. in 1944 for broadcasts to the services. This was a remarkable band within the given Miller style (though rhythmically more relaxed than the earlier Miller band), with Mel Powell on piano, nice trumpet solos from Zeke Zarchy, Bobby Nichols, and Bernie Privin, Peanuts Hucko on clarinet, the best string section any big band with strings ever had AFAIK, Junior Collins (later of the Birth of the Cool band) on French horn (what a player he was), Ray McKinley, etc. And the young Johnny Desmond was a very good singer. Also, the sound here is pretty astonishing; the broadcasts were recorded on 16-inch 33 1/3 rpm discs in good studios and have a wide dynamic range. I wouldn't say that this set is worth seeking out for everyone here, but I'll bet it will surprise some who have filed Miller away as mere nostalgia. On the other hand, it is kind of eerie to hear each broadcast begin with the AAF theme song that Chummy MacGregor (he of "Moon Dreams"), Miller, and some guy named Meyer wrote -- "I Sustain the Wings" -- and think that some of the guys who were listening to it were soon going to be climbing into B-17s.

Brownie -- I didn't have much (or maybe any) Miller either until I ran across a used copy a while back of the 3-CD "Secret Broadcasts" set (RCA) -- stuff the Miller AAF Band recorded in the U.S. in 1944 for broadcasts to the services. This was a remarkable band within the given Miller style (though rhythmically more relaxed than the earlier Miller band), with Mel Powell on piano, nice trumpet solos from Zeke Zarchy, Bobby Nichols, and Bernie Privin, Peanuts Hucko on clarinet, the best string section any big band with strings ever had AFAIK, Junior Collins (later of the Birth of the Cool band) on French horn (what a player he was), Ray McKinley, etc. And the young Johnny Desmond was a very good singer. Also, the sound here is pretty astonishing; the broadcasts were recorded on 16-inch 33 1/3 rpm discs in good studios and have a wide dynamic range. I wouldn't say that this set is worth seeking out for everyone here, but I'll bet it will surprise some who have filed Miller away as mere nostalgia. On the other hand, it is kind of eerie to hear each broadcast begin with the AAF theme song that Chummy MacGregor (he of "Moon Dreams"), Miller, and some guy named Meyer wrote -- "I Sustain the Wings" -- and think that some of the guys who were listening to it were soon going to be climbing into B-17s.

Thanks for the advice, Larry! Will be looking for that 'Secret Broadcasts' set and fill my Miller gap!

Yes, like someone else said, my collection is better than I thought. I don't have anything by Sun Ra, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett but then they don't do anything for me so in that respect I don't have any holes.

Would I like more of certain artists? Yes, definitely. But when you have about 1,500 Cds and almost 50 Mosaics how much and how much time do you have time to listen to everything?

No Armstrong, Basie, Goodman, Tatum or Waller...

.....1 Dizzy...

....1 Ellington...

......no Coltrane Impulse years...

.....no Pharoah, Shepp or Ornette....

.....no post-'66 Miles.....

....nor SUN RA.....

No wonder you post that silly crap in the political thread. :cool:

:rofl:

Clearly fo most of us the hole s must be bigger than what we do have, missing from my collection is

Any

Stan Kenton

Glenn Miller

Jan Garbarek- and a load of other ECM types

Hal Russell

Dollar Brand

Fess Williams

Coon Sanders Night Hawks

er ....thats all I can think of right now. I guess the only major gap there is Hal. No doubt CN will straighten me out on that point in the future... :D

You guys are making me feel really good about my collection. It's not huge, but what's there is pretty choice. Certainly no major gaps as far as representation of "Giants," though a lot of filling in to do around the edges, I suppose.

I feel much the same, although one thing: When you say your collection is "not huge" I would ask, compared to what? It's all relative, and rest assured, your collection is huge compared to that of many people.

My confession is that I have way too many items in my collection.

The things I am missing are of music I don't care for such as Free Jazz, Electric Jazz, Smooth Jazz.

Having a very large and complete collection is to a large extent a function of beginning my collection about 50 years ago !!!

That'll do it! :)