Has this board influenced your music purchases?

Free For All

I know I've been purchasing more music since I've been hanging here. Quite a bit more, actually.

The good thing is that my purchases have come with a much higher rate of satisfaction- pretty much everything I've gotten based on recommendations here has been good, very few regrets. And in addition to jazz enlightenment, I've also expanded my classical, pop, world music and DVD vistas based on info obtained here. Sometimes it's almost too much of a good thing- I can't get every thing I'd like. You know, those pesky bills and all. :)

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice. Ya bastids. :g

Well, I pretty much already know what I like, generally, and that's not really changed all that much. But truthfully, even though I already know what I like, the folks here are constantly making me aware of new/different people doing what it is that I like. And I try to reciprocate as best as I can.

What has definitely changed is how quickly I can find out that something's coming out, or is going to become available. Used to be that certain things would come and go before I heard about'em. Now, I can carpe deim like a mofo. And usually do!

Seems like as of late you've been purging a good amount of your collection, Mark- is that purely for financial reasons or are your tastes changing?

Well, it's purely financial in the sense that if I didn't need to get these bills down to size, and wasn't having to deal with a reduced income, having moved from California to Louisiana, I probably wouldn't sell them. However, the changing tastes are definitely a part of it. I just don't listen to the hard bop stuff like I used to. After the evil Sangrey melted my brain with those two Quartet Out discs, nothing was ever the same... :g

What has definitely changed is how quickly I can find out that something's coming out, or is going to become available. Used to be that certain things would come and go before I heard about'em.

I've become aware of a LOT of new sources for info/deals here. I buy more, but overall spend less- I know that to be true from last year's tax deductions.

Edited by Free For All

I take a lot of the recommendations found here very seriously.

My tastes most definitely have been broadened and I have some recordings I would have never known about or purchased had it not been for the good people on this board.

The blindfold tests being just one way of finding things out. :tup:cool:

I use my own judgement to purchase music. I do not care much for the usual critic reviews but I do trust a number of people on this Board and have purchased a lot of discs I would not have bothered if I had not been pointed to the right direction by those posters.

No complaint so far, but my bank account is thinning down :(

After the evil Sangrey melted my brain with those two Quartet Out discs, nothing was ever the same... :g

I hear ya. Between Monday Michiru and Sonny Rollins Live in London, that Sangrey is the "devil in my ear" which I would guess pleases him to no end. :g

If y'all are happy, I'm happy. I live to serve. ;)

Also, I've been blessed to meet several people here & on Board Krypton (one of whom mostly lurks) whose generosity is nothing short of being truly angelic. They come across all sorts of obscure great recordings and share them freely. Without them and their beautiful spirits, I'd be missing out on a lot of what have come to be some of my most prized listening materials. Not because they're "rare", but because they really are that good.

I'll put it this way - before the Internet in general, and this board/Board Krypton specifically, I thought I knew a lot of music. And yeah, I probably did. But I soon learned that no matter how much you already know, there's always that much more that you don't know (and that there's always somebody out there who knows about it). For me, that's been a life-changing discovery, because my "sense of certainty" (which inevitably leads to creative stagnation) is now more about "principles" and much less about "specifics". I keep finding out about people making music that appeals directly to my principles while at the same time defying my now-all-but-extinct idea of how those principles should/would/could manifest themselves.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that isolation, as beautiful and necessary as it often is, can eventually kill. The Internet in general (and this board in particular) is a damn good antitdote.

Edited by JSngry

This board is my #1 source for recommendations of people whose taste I trust. For example, I have seen Vijay Iyer praised elsewhere, but I decided to pick up his latest CD because of what I read here.

Much of my purchasing is from Your Music, and I found out about that here, although I would have seen it elsewhere had I not visited here. But here we have a couple of threads devoted to Your Music, and I have found the discussions helpful.

I wish more people would post about their new purchases. I'm always on the lookout for artists whose work I don't already have, and judging from the What Did You Purchase Today thread, there are many of you who are buying albums I am unaware of, but not posting comments or recommendations about said albums.

I enjoy posting mini-reviews about my new CDs, and I appreciate all who comment on the albums and the artists in the threads I start.

The board has always had some influence on my buying, but having decided some time ago to cut back (way back) on my habit of spending too much on music, that influence has diminished somewhat. The other influence which has always been important (and remains so) is the way I'm reminded to listen to things I already own, and sometimes with greater appreciation than I had in the past. I don't know why I should need a stimulus like this to avoid neglecting various portions of my music collection, but for some reason it makes a big difference to me to be reminded of what I have. :rolleyes:

1) Sources: i.e. I've bought things listed in the FS thread.

2) Recommendations: If a lot of folks here (I'm not sure what the critical mass is) speak highly of a cd I don't own I'm inclined to give it a try.

3) Existence: I've bought things I didn't know even know existed until I first heard about them here (eg the alternate take of Shoeshine Boy).

This board is the primary influence on my jazz buying habits. I was happy to have my posting status returned to newbie, for that is the most accurate description. This board, along with artist’s monographs and more general jazz history books from the library is my jazz 101. Thanks.

Bill

my taste and my "gut feeling" for music hasn't changed that much.

...BUT this board has "forced" me to broaden the spectrum and be more adventureous in what I'm buying as well as its a trusted sources of good advise for things to checkout that you would never ever had access to.

When I recall how complicated it was in the early Vinyl days to get things from outside even German market...and the prices: ouch :crazy: : Now with online shopping in US, UK, France and Japan.. you get what ever you want, quickly and reasonably priced

I'm not spending that more money omn Media in total but shifted it to more focus buyings and without that board I guess I would never bought any of those Mosaic boxes...well I now have some of them :D

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

my taste and my "gut feeling" for music hasn't changed that much.

...BUT this board has "forced" me to broaden the spectrum and be more adventureous in what I'm buying as well as its a trusted sources of good advise for things to checkout that you would never ever had access to.

This basically summarizes my view. It's difficult to affect one's aesthetic sensibility, but a little friendly intellectual pressure can go a long way. It's shocking what an open mind can do--especially in the company of the learned. In a way, it's a constant process of restoration--of renewed faith, so to speak, knowing that there's always something else to listen to, that can bring (and has brought) enlightenment, joy. Certain board members have been kind enough to send some joints my way--and hell, it's made all the difference. Viva community.

Don't make me confess ........

I buy way too much, due to recommendations posted here, and links to bargain offers.

My tastes haven't changed, but refined more, and I am made aware of a lot of discs that fit my tastes very well. I love and curse y'all for this ... :P

I was always a little interested in jazz and had a small collection of Mingus, Monk, Miles Davis and a few other CDs. Then seven or so years ago, it was like a switch was turned on and I started building a jazz collection (in a somewhat unhealthy way like a chemical addiction). This board has turned me on to a number of new artists, particularly Latin Jazz/Hard Bossa that I wouldn't have known about. It has also convinced me to get a few Mosaics I was on the fence about (like J.J. Johnson). But the Board can't take all the blame, since I was living in the same city as Jazz Record Mart and Dusty Groove and spent crazy money there before I ever found this place. Still, I'd say it's probably responsible for a 50% increase in my jazz buying, especially when there are links to particularly good sales. If I hear enough people praise a CD, I'm interested and will probably eventually obtain it. I have slowed down considerably in the last year, partly due to finances (and international shipping rates) and partly to listen more to the collection I have now.