AOTW - Monk with Trane - Complete 1957 Riversides

GA Russell

I received an advance copy from Concord Monday.

The two discs are 52:25 and 53:42 long. There is a lot of unnecessary music here. There are ten tunes, with eight alternate takes and two false starts. One of the songs is a 13 minute blowing session written by Gigi Gryce which Monk is not present on.

I'm not going to get in between Tarantino and Nessa in this mono/stereo dispute. If Chuck says that the K2 mono of Monk's Music is something special and worth the extra money, I believe him. I love the K2s that I have.

I acknowledge that the bass is low on the Monk's Music recordings. But with this 24 bit remaster, you can hear the bass OK. It would be better if it were louder, which Chuck says it is on the mono, but the bass is OK here.

Overall, the 24 bit remaster sounds great.

Considering that this is being sold for a Your Music-type price, I think that this is a very good deal. But if you prefer to spend twice as much for the K2s of the two albums without the alternate takes including the two previously unreleased tracks, I don't think that those of us who love K2s would consider you to be foolish.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This set goes on sale Tuesday. Since so many of us already have Monk's Music and With John Coltrane, let's make them both this week's Albums of the Week.

One comment about With John Coltrane: You will recall that this was recorded at the beginning of Coltrane's time with Monk, and Carnegie Hall was recorded at the end. I got the impression reading between the lines of the Carnegie Hall thread that some here think that With John Coltrane isn't very good.

I'll grant that Carnegie Hall is even better, but I think that With John Coltrane is an excellent album in its own right.

Yes. On "With John Coltrane," the later three tracks (Trinkle Tinkle, Nutty, Ruby My Dear) are gems. Monk and Trane are completely together there. The other tracks, as well as those on Monk's Mood, which were recorded earlier are also fine. But there is a difference. I don't think that Coltrane sounds quite as comfortable yet with Monk's rhythms.

Here's the track list from amazon.com:

Disc: 1

1. Monk's Mood (False Start)

2. Monk's Mood

3. Crepuscule With Nellie (Take 1)

4. Crepuscule With Nellie (Take 2)

5. Crepuscule With Nellie (Breakdown)

6. Blues For Tomorrow

7. Crepuscule With Nellie (Edited: Re-Takes 4 & 5)

8. Crepuscule With Nellie (Re-Take 6)

9. Off Minor (Take 4)

10. Off Minor (Take 5)

Disc: 2

1. Abide With Me (Take 1)

2. Abide With Me

3. Epistrophy (Short Version)

4. Epistrophy

5. Well, You Needn't (Opening)

6. Well, You Needn't

7. Ruby, My Dear

8. Ruby, My Dear

9. Nutty

10. Trinkle, Tinkle

Ouch. :o

I kinda hope the K2 also has the mono master, at least if the Riverside Records Story box is any indication. This compilation has both versions of "Ruby My Dear:" the Trane version is mono and sounds warm and inviting; the Hawk version is stereo and is harsh and brittle (and like Chuck says, can't hardly hear the bass).

I think I may just seek out the K2's after all.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was gone away for the week, this has been the AOTW! Oh, well!

Does anyone have any comments about the two albums?

I decided to take Chuck up on his insistence that the K2 mono is the cat's meow, and I ordered it yesterday for three bucks.

When I was in college, Monk was my favorite. But over the years I'm not sure whether I have just gotten tired of his style or else maybe I have heard the same songs so often that I don't appreciate them anymore.

I listened to Disc One of this set, which is mostly alternate takes, while I was driving back and forth to and from Charlotte. I found that I enjoyed the recordings in the car more than I have at home.

When I was in college, Monk was my favorite. But over the years I'm not sure whether I have just gotten tired of his style or else maybe I have heard the same songs so often that I don't appreciate them anymore.

Since I have loved this music for 47 years and it still seems GREAT to me, I feel sorry for you. Not meant as an insult, just regret.

Maybe I just don't understand your "relationship" with music.

I thought about buying this but passed. Just too many alternate takes to make me want to plunk down $17. There is, unfortunately I have to say this, nothing that I haven't heard there before. I may change my mind in the future but those are my feelings right now.

Just too many alternate takes to make me want to plunk down $17. There is, unfortunately I have to say this, nothing that I haven't heard there before. I may change my mind in the future but those are my feelings right now.

Are there more alternate takes than on the original albums?

This is some of my favorite Monk post-Prestige. I don't have the box, but do have the original albums Monk's Music & TMw/JC. Coltrane was really coming into his own by the time of the session w/"Trinkle Tinkle" and "Ruby my Dear". "Crepescule with Nellie" is one of my favorite Monk ballads.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Just too many alternate takes to make me want to plunk down $17.

Brad, I see that CD Universe has this for $14.89. Of course, you still have to add shipping to that.

But the K2s of both albums are available from Concord in their sale for $7.98 each, if that's all you buy. Again, plus shipping.

Are there more alternate takes than on the original albums?

Guy, this 1957 set has two alternates never before released, Crepuscule With Nellie and Abide With Me. There is also one false start and one breakdown (which in my opinion don't add anything to the package) which I am unaware of having been released before, but are not labeled as previously unreleased.

There is also a jam called Blues For Tomorrow , without Monk, which is released in stereo for the first time.

The music is fabulous!

This set is in my opinion well produced. I can't really comment accurately about the sound. . .because I'm here in a "summer home" with a laptop/powered speaker based system but. . . it sounds really fine to me on this system and in comparison with other cds here.

I'm glad I ordered it!

The music is fabulous!

I'm glad I ordered it!

me too!

:)

Ditto. Before I read these last 2 posts I was about to write one asking "Am I the only one who's happy about this release?" I thnk we're being unjustly harsh with the new owners of Fantasy. They've repackaged a few things quite well. I just wish they'd do more: eg Shelly Mann at the Blackhawk and the 12/24/54 Miles with Monk session.

The music is fabulous!

I'm glad I ordered it!

me too!

:)

Ditto. Before I read these last 2 posts I was about to write one asking "Am I the only one who's happy about this release?" I thnk we're being unjustly harsh with the new owners of Fantasy. They've repackaged a few things quite well. I just wish they'd do more: eg Shelly Mann at the Blackhawk and the 12/24/54 Miles with Monk session.

I agree! The sound on this reissue is fabulous (even on my 15 year old equipment), and I too would love to hear a remastered version of the 4-volume Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk! Not enough of the Contemporary catalog has been remastered, although it should be mentioned that of all the west coast labels Contemporary always had the best sound, despite the restrictions on their studio setup. Lester Koenig was a stickler for great sound, and many of these 1950s recordings still sound great today.

Edited by garthsj

• 1 month later...

I've been really enjoying both Monk's Music and With John Coltrane over the past two or three days. For whatever reason, I think MM is a better realization of Monk's Music than Brilliant Corners. Not something I can explain. Maybe it's because the tunes were more familiar to the musicians?

Coltrane is really in excellent form on the three quartet tracks from WJC. Some of his best work up until that point.

Guy