are some OJC limited editions going oop?

Pete B

Teddy Charles' New Directions seems to be completely OOP.

:rmad:

F

I just looked on the Concord site, and not only is New Directions available directly from them, it's on sale for $7.98. Looks like they may be having a clearance sale on the OJC Limited Edition stuff, so it may be now or never if there are titles you want.

http://concordmusicgroup.com/artists/album/index.php?id=1493

Been away for a couple of days, just checked if anyone had posted after my message, only to find 15 pages of raving shoppers :lol:

Anyway, thanks for that Felser. I actually got the New Directions second-hand, but the Concord site would have been the last place I've looked for it. :blush:

F

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teddy Charles' New Directions seems to be completely OOP.

:rmad:

F

I just looked on the Concord site, and not only is New Directions available directly from them, it's on sale for $7.98. Looks like they may be having a clearance sale on the OJC Limited Edition stuff, so it may be now or never if there are titles you want.

http://concordmusicgroup.com/artists/album/index.php?id=1493

Been away for a couple of days, just checked if anyone had posted after my message, only to find 15 pages of raving shoppers :lol:

Anyway, thanks for that Felser. I actually got the New Directions second-hand, but the Concord site would have been the last place I've looked for it. :blush:

F

um F - we are really sorry - we did not leave you anything at the concord sale. :(

maybe next year you will plan your vacation at a better time!

:P

I don't believe these are all going OOP. If so, why would some of the new RVGs be on there? The only reason I can see these recent cds on there is that when Concord acquired Fantasy, these projects were too far advanced to stop.

Edited by Brad

I don't believe these are all going OOP. If so, why would some of the new RVGs be on there? The only reason I can see these recent cds on there is that when Concord acquired Fantasy, these projects were too far advanced to stop.

what rvg titles are you referring to? i saw none included in the summer blowout sale, just k2s and limited editions.

what rvg titles are you referring to? i saw none included in the summer blowout sale, just k2s and limited editions.

The new 2 cd Monk/Trane is not on the sale. No RVGs are on the sale. From the Concord site: "Special bundled pricing applies only to the discontinued titles included in the Summer Blowout Sale section of the online store. All sales are final."

This list is very dangerous for my bank account ... I decided to place another order for 31 CDs yesterday (the economics of this sale make it impossible to buy just 22 albums, when for 8 more you basically get them free .. go figure!) I purchased the Monk box from our German friends several weeks ago, and I have yet to get around to listening to this (to me) familiar material from my vinyl days ... and now I am buying the same material as K2s in this sale!! I NEED HELP!

The time has come for the creation of that Jazz Collectors Anonymous organization that we keep talking about ... but then, what else would I spend my money on? Travel to Tuscany? A new car? Redo my house? A beach house? A new stereo system?

Personally, I'm willing to wait and see what Concord does with the Prestige/Riverside/Milestone catalogs before judging them. Some of their sets so far make a lot of sense (Red Garland at Prelude, Monk/Trane, Miles Quintet), and, as for them releasing the big names first, of course they would. So did Blue Note and Fantasy. The Prestige bonus discs seem designed to draw interest in the Prestige catalog from novice listeners, which would make the most sense if they are planning to keep the catalog active.

Just noticed this on the Concord site while trying to track down my order. This makes a lot more sense than anything Fantasy (or Prestige, for that matter) did with those Stitt sides, so I still have hope that some really good stuff will come out of Concord. Stitt and Red Garland aren't exactly bankable names the way Coltrane, Miles, and Monk are ( Stitt may sell a million, but that will be 100 copies each of the 10,000 albums he recorded), yet they've both already been treated right by Concord, even in the early going. The Miles set makes a lot of sense also. I'm actually pretty encouraged in some ways.

Sonny Stitt

Stitt's Bits [box Set - pre-sale only]

PRCD3-30043-2

A 3-CD box set spotlighting one of the great founders of BeBop, the multi-talented Sonny Stitt. His blazing, beautiful playing of alto, tenor AND baritone saxophone collected within this special collection is not to be missed! Features the complete Prestige BeBop recordings from 1949-1952 on three digitally remastered CDs and Includes previously unreleased material!

That one is overdue!!! They should give the Gene Ammons sides from that time span the same treatment.

Well, here is my order below. This is really bad. A little under $442. After my recent Mosaic Select splurge & this, I am officially MF broke. I decided to hold off on the Coltrane & Evans K2s because all of the material is in the respective boxes already and know the sound quality will be slightly inferior to the remastered K2s, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Also have some of the Miles, Dolphy, Montgomery & Dorham K2s, but grabbed all the other ones that were in the sale. Of course, the box is getting shipped straight to work to avoid trouble with the family. Getting it home, however... that is a dilemma. *sigh*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Ammons Boss Tenor (K2)

Cannonball Adderley/Milt Jackson Things Are Getting Better (K2)

Nat Adderley A Little New York Midtown Music

Chet Baker Chet (K2)

Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner & Loewe (K2)

Chet Baker In New York (K2)

Chet Baker Chet Baker Sings It Could Happen To You (K2)

Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio The Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Caravan (K2)

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Ugetsu (K2)

Veda Brown/Judy Clay Private Numbers

Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz at Oberlin (K2)

Jaki Byard Freedom Together

Teddy Charles New Directions

Teddy Charles Teddy Charles & Prestige Jazz

John Coltrane The Prestige Recordings (BOX)

Ted Curson Ted Curson Plays Fire Down Below

Miles Davis Bag's Groove (K2)

Miles Davis Collectors' Items (K2)

Miles Davis All Stars Walkin' (K2)

Miles Davis Quintet Relaxin' With Miles (K2)

John Dennis New Piano Expressions, Vol. 1

Walt Dickerson A Sense Of Direction

Ray Draper Quintet Tuba Sounds

Kenny Drew Kenny Drew Trio

Kenny Drew Plays The Music of Harry Warren and Harold Arlen

Duke Ellington The Ellington Suites (K2)

Bill Evans The Complete Riverside Recordings (BOX)

Betty Everett The Fantasy Years

Eddie Floyd Soul Street

Red Garland Red Garland's Piano (K2)

Matthew Gee Jazz By Gee!

Benny Golson Stockholm Sojourn

Honi Gordon Honi Gordon Sings

Vince Guaraldi Cast Your Fate to the Wind (K2)

Hampton Hawes Trio Hampton Hawes Trio, Vol. 1 (K2)

Hampton Hawes Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes/The Trio: Vol. 3 (K2)

Hampton Hawes Something Special

Hampton Hawes Quartet Piano: East/West

Jimmy Heath Swamp Seed

Joe Hicks Something Special

Elmo Hope Hope Meets Foster

Elmo Hope Hopefull

Milt Jackson Quartet The Milt Jackson Quartet (K2)

Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery Bags Meets Wes! (K2)

Milt Jackson Bags' Bag

Milt Jackson For Someone I Love

Bobby Jaspar Quartet Bobby Jaspar/George Wallington

JFK Quintet New Jazz Frontiers From Washington

Taft Jordan Mood Indigo

Kessel /Brown./ Manne The Poll Winners

Teo Macero With The Prestige Jazz Quartet

Shelly Manne My Fair Lady (K2)

Ken McIntyre Stone Blues

Jackie McLean 4, 5 and 6 (K2)

Charles McPherson From This Moment On!

Modern Jazz Quartet Concorde (K2)

Modern Jazz Quartet Django (K2)

Thelonious Monk Misterioso (K2)

Thelonious Monk Monk's Music (K2)

Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington (K2)

Thelonious Monk Thelonious Himself (K2)

Thelonious Monk Trio Thelonious Monk Trio (K2)

Charles McPherson From This Moment On!

Booker T. & The MGs The MG's

Wes Montgomery Boss Guitar (K2)

Wes Montgomery Full House (K2)

Gerry Mulligan/Thelonious Monk Mulligan Meets Monk (K2)

Art Pepper Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (K2)

Art Pepper Smack Up (K2)

Art Pepper Ballads By Five

Art Pepper Winter Moon

Prestige All-Stars Earthy

Prestige All-Stars Olio

Prestige All-Stars Roots

Freddie Redd Trio San Francisco Suite

Dewey Redman Musics

Sonny Rollins Plus 4 (K2)

Sonny Rollins Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet (K2)

Sonny Rollins The Sound of Sonny (K2)

Sonny Rollins Quartet Tenor Madness (K2)

Helyne Stewart Love Moods

Carla Thomas Sugar

George Wallington Quintet Jazz for The Carriage

Randy Weston Trio Get Happy

Lem Winchester Sextet Lem's Beat

Gerry Wiggins Wiggin' Out

Randy Weston Trio Get Happy

Jimmy Woods Awakening!

Various Artists Jumpin' & Jivin'

Various Artists Going Back: A Collection of Rhythm & Blues/Soul

Various Artists Stax Revue Live at The / Ballroom

Various Artists The Stax Soul Brothers

Various Artists Sweet Soul Music: The Stax Groups

Edited by trane_fanatic

We now know these are officially OOP - we suspected it, but now we have proof. Depressing. Everything that could go badly with the Fantasy sale did.

I don't like this all sales are final biz. What about defectives? I'll see how my first order goes before I think of ordering more. I can only listen to so much music in my lifetime. I'm already 43!

Bertrand.

No time to read through every post so somebody might've already said this: Isn't it a safe bet that these are almost all gonna be RVG'd? A bunch of 'em have been already, and 3 different versions (OJC/K2/RVG) of some of these things on the market is insane.

And some of the limited editions need to go out of print to be limited.

Right?

Isn't it a safe bet that these are almost all gonna be RVG'd?

Almost all? No. Some of them? Yes. I noticed a good cross-section of the regular OJC titles & K2s in the sale are being RVGed.

The Ltd. Eds are the ones that will most likely fade into obscurity.

Edited by trane_fanatic

We now know these are officially OOP - we suspected it, but now we have proof. Depressing. Everything that could go badly with the Fantasy sale did.

I don't like this all sales are final biz. What about defectives? I'll see how my first order goes before I think of ordering more. I can only listen to so much music in my lifetime. I'm already 43!

Bertrand.

Depressing? Yes, of course, but - and i hate sounding like some sort of Concord apologist here - is it really fair of us to hold Fantasy/Concord to higher standards than any other record company when it comes to keeping "minor" titles/low sellers in print indefinitely? In the past, records went in and out of print all the time, often for decades - hence, Blue Note's Conn series and other reissues - and the only thing we could do about it was buy what we wanted during the window it was available. I think we've become spoiled over the years by Fantasy's OJC series. To their great credit, Fantasy kept nearly everything in print (or at least didn't delete titles even if they were near impossble to find at retail). It's unfortunate that Concord can't, but they aren't doing what any other label (but Fantasy) wouldn't do. So I'll take adavantage of the deletions and buy all that I can.

My mistake. I assumed the Cookbook was the RVG one. If they're going not to make these anymore, why not some other Evans titles or Volumes 2 and 3 of the Cookbook. I'd gladly get those.

We knew this was coming -- Chuck did warn us awhile ago -- and this should us make us better appreciate Fantasy more for having kept all those titles in circulation.

Edited by Brad

No time to read through every post so somebody might've already said this: Isn't it a safe bet that these are almost all gonna be RVG'd? A bunch of 'em have been already, and 3 different versions (OJC/K2/RVG) of some of these things on the market is insane.

That may be right for the Prestige sessions RVG engineered, but it would seem questionable if he remastered Contemporary or Riverside sessions that were engineered by colleagues with a quit different sound philosophy. Kirk Felton and others did an excellent job on these.

That may be right for the Prestige sessions RVG engineered, but it would seem questionable if he remastered Contemporary or Riverside sessions that were engineered by colleagues with a quit different sound philosophy. Kirk Felton and others did an excellent job on these.

Let's hope RVG doesn't get his deaf ears on the the DuNann's. In fact, if DuNann was not deaf, I'm sure he would have been approached to DuNann the RVG's. :)

Wolff is not a fan of RVG's....yuuuck!!!!

Just ordered 20....

Edited by wolff

and this should us make us better appreciate Fantasy more for having kept all those titles in circulation.

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been buying the OJC's all along when possible, but never able to keep up with their vast reissue program. The old pre-Concord Fantasy kicked butt!!!!!!!

ALAS - I too feel that Concord will only reissue/RVG a cross section of their holdings - ONLY THE MUSIC THAT YIELDS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ales !

i just called concord (patience may be a virtue, but i don't have any), and i did not get much help.

the customer service rep claimed that they are filling the orders in order, and that people should not be receiving confirmation emails for later orders before other with earlier orders.

he could not explain why this is happening.

he said that their normal shipping time is 5-10 days of receiving the order.

he did let me know that if you place an order for 30 cd's, and they are out of stock of any titles, you will receive the $2.98 price for all cd's that are shipped.

I can't wait for my order to arrive! :wub:

Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio - The Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio

Teddy Charles - New Directions

Teddy Charles - Teddy Charles & Prestige Jazz

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny

Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano

Red Garland Quintet - All Mornin' Long

Frank Foster - Soul Outing!

Don Friedman Quartet - Dreams and Explorations

Don Friedman Trio - Flashback

Hampton Hawes - Something Special

Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes/The Trio: Vol. 3

Hampton Hawes Quartet - Piano: East/West

Hampton Hawes Trio, Vol. 1

Jimmy Heath - Swamp Seed

Earl Fatha Hines - Another Monday Date

Groove Holmes - Soul Message

Elmo Hope - Hope Meets Foster

Elmo Hope - Hope-full

Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery - Bags Meets Wes!

Milt Jackson - For Someone I Love

Jackie McLean - 4, 5 and 6

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music

Thelonious Monk - Misterioso

Wes Montgomery - Full House

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' The Blues

Randy Weston Trio - Get Happy

Lem Winchester Sextet - Lem's Beat

Thelonious Monk - Plays Duke Ellington

Teo Macero - With The Prestige Jazz Quartet

Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin' With Miles

Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

Miles Davis Quintet - Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

Miles Davis - Bag's Groove

John Coltrane - Traneing In

Well .. I just got billed for the FULL amount of my second order placed last Saturday... But I have never received an email confirmation of my first order placed last Thursday. Go figure! Then as I was typing this, this confirmation of shipping the SECOND order arrived. (A phonecall subsequently determined that both orders were ready to ship.)

==================================================================

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1135-2 Chet Baker - Chet $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1120-2 Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings-It Could Happen To You $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1119-2 Chet Baker - In New York $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1152-2 Chet Baker - Plays the Best of Lerner & Loewe $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7109-2 Miles Davis - Bag's Groove $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7076-2 Miles Davis All Stars - Walkin' $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 NJCD-8260-2 Eric Dolphy - Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot, Vol. 1 $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-8270-2 Eric Dolphy - Far Cry $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PACD-2310-762-2 Duke Ellington - The Ellington Suites $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1129-2 Bill Evans - Everyone Digs Bill Evans $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-9351-2 Bill Evans Trio - Explorations $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 FCD-8089-2 Vince Guaraldi - Cast Your Fate to the Wind $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-9407-2 Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery - Bags Meets Wes! $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 CCD-7532-2 Art Pepper - Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7038-2 Sonny Rollins - Plus 4 $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-241-2 Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1785-2 Lem Winchester Sextet - Lem's Beat $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1870-2 Randy Weston Trio - Get Happy $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1034-2 Gerry Wiggins - Wiggin' Out $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 PRCD-7057-2 Modern Jazz Quartet - Django $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-935-2 Milt Jackson - Bags' Bag $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1703-2 Elmo Hope - Hope Meets Foster $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7130-2 Red Garland Quintet - All Mornin' Long $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 JCD-46-2 Thelonious Monk/John Coltrane - Monk & Coltrane $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-235-2 Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Himself $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7027-2 Thelonious Monk Trio - Thelonious Monk Trio $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7005-2 Modern Jazz Quartet - Concorde $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-242-2 Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1133-2 Thelonious Monk - Misterioso $2.98 Ship Date: 7/19/2006

My order just was confirmed.

Mine too!!!!!!!

Thank you for your order!

Please be advised that we are currently not processing back orders. If one or more items in your order is out of stock, then you will not be charged for the item(s). If you placed your order with a check or money order, you will be issued a refund for any item(s) that are not shipped.

Please also be aware that if your order contains available and presale item(s), the order will be shipped without the presale item(s). You will receive presale item(s) on the week of the release.