Saxophone Collossus, new RVG version.........

Cliff Englewood

Seems to be a problem with the new RVG re-master of this classic. At around 2:19 on "Moritat", things go pear shaped, sounds like a problem on the actual tape, like it got a bit twisted or chewed. The sound drops out again at around 2:25. Checked my old 20 bit edition and the fault does not appear.

I only upgraded this as it's such a great piece of work. :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

Anybody else notice this?

Edited by Cliff Englewood

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be a problem with the new RVG re-master of this classic. At around 2:19 on "Moritat", things go pear shaped, sounds like a problem on the actual tape, like it got a bit twisted or chewed. The sound drops out again at around 2:25. Checked my old 20 bit edition and the fault does not appear.

I only upgraded this as it's such a great piece of work. :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

I don't have this one, but this was reported on an AAJ thread.

I only upgraded this as it's such a great piece of work. :rmad::rmad::rmad:

I don't have this one, but this was reported on an AAJ thread.

How many times can you run a 50+ year old tape through a machine and expect it to be fine? Sounds like they finally hit the limit.

I have my K2 and dont expect to upgrade ever. It sounds great.

Same here.

There must be hundreds of OJCs that were reissued 15 years ago, or more, that are just begging for a sonic upgrade. And instead Concord decides to RVG an album that has been upgraded numerous times and already sounds find

I don't think so. Most K2's are backordered on CD Universe.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...59439&BAB=E

Its also gone from Amazon. Looks like you will have to really hunt for this one.

I doubt it's a rarity. This k2 has been available everywhere for a few years. I'm sure most retail stores still have copies. Not to mention eBay.

AFAIK, all K2's are supposed to be limited editions. So eventually they will be out of stock everywhere. I think you could still find one in a B&M.

The first (Japanese) version had the drop out as well. I had a copy and the flaw was explained in the notes. I believe later copies repaired it by patching from 2nd generation tapes.

It seems either stupid or obsessive-to-an-unhealthy-degree-about-using-original-tapes to leave this kind of drop out in an official release.

Guy

I made a few calls today, and so far no one has it. Concord seems to have yanked it (it's still on their site, whatever that means), as opposed to just letting it slowly disappear.

This new twist is interesting, though. The tape degradation did not just recently surface - it's been there for a while. So, for those of you who have the 20-bit, do you notice any sort of splicing occuring at the the mentioned (around 2:19-2:25 on 'Moritat')?

Maybe I'll just live with the RVG. Which means I'm in no hurry to get it.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I made a few calls today, and so far no one has it. Concord seems to have yanked it (it's still on their site, whatever that means), as opposed to just letting it slowly disappear.

This new twist is interesting, though. The tape degradation did not just recently surface - it's been there for a while. So, for those of you who have the 20-bit, do you notice any sort of splicing occuring at the the mentioned (around 2:19-2:25 on 'Moritat')?

Bertrand.

No such problems on my K2 that I picked up from yourmusic about a year and a half ago. Sounds fine straight through Moritat.

I am listening to the CD layer of the Analogue Productions hybrid SACD. No problems at all. Great sounding CD too. I'd recommend it if you can't find the K2.

I know this SACD gets bad-mouthed by guru Steve Hoffman because the mastering engineer added a touch of echo. I think the real reason Hoffman doesn't like it is because he wasn't asked by AP to do it. It sounds very good. The echo isn't bad by any stretch.

Kevin