what are you drinking right now?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bells_Kazoo_Stout_small.jpg

And it's tasty.

you spoiled my morning. cant get it here no more.

We just got it here. Maybe it moved?

hope you got their expedition stout?

beautiful russian imperial stout. thick and black as used motor oil. improves your hearing, too. makes all the music sound better.

My ears need all the help they can get. I'll let you know if I find it, thanks for the rec!

Bells_Kazoo_Stout_small.jpg

And it's tasty.

you spoiled my morning. cant get it here no more.

We just got it here. Maybe it moved?

hope you got their expedition stout?

beautiful russian imperial stout. thick and black as used motor oil. improves your hearing, too. makes all the music sound better.

My ears need all the help they can get. I'll let you know if I find it, thanks for the rec!

I recently had the opportunity to pick up two bottles of Bell's Expedition Stout. I'd tried this micro brew a year or so ago without writing up an "official" beer review so I thought what better time than the holiday season to give myself a little gift and try it out again. Yes, it is definitely a gift to be had (or given out) for the beer lover in you or your loved ones.

This Russian Imperial Stout style microbrew is brewed annually during the late fall months by the former Kalamazoo Brewing Company (newly named Bell's Brewery, Inc.) A winter brew, this one definitely will warm your bones on a cold and blustery winter's evening. Pouring my first of the two 12 ounce bottles into a 16 ounce pub glass I am awed by the overall blackness of this stout. No light, and I mean none, passes through this beer when held up to the light. Pitch as night I would describe it. And thick to boot. Almost seemed like pouring a bottle of motor oil into my glass. It definitely did not give off the appearance of "light, crisp and refreshing" which would classify it as a classy anti-macro brew right off the bat. I like it already!

The limited, if almost non-existent head, lasted seconds at best. But the head of this beer is not really what it's about anyway. Taste is it with Bell's Expedition Stout. The first sip I experienced an exquisite creaminess not often found in my experiences with Imperial Stouts. Many times the burnt flavor of alcohol sting overwhelm a lot of the the total creamy smoothness a good RIS can offer. And offer Bell's did.

The taste was of toasted malts and chocolate. I even detected a flavor reminding me of dates embedded in the flow as it passed over my palate. The aroma matched the flavors almost to a "T". No off-flavors or smells to speak of and I just got the sense that I was definitely drinking one of the best of the best maybe in the world of the Russian Imperial Stout style. Definitely seems to be a well-crafted and cared for steed in the Bell's Brewery stable of solid offerings.

I very, very much enjoyed this one and will certainly enjoy the other of the two I'd purchased very soon. One downside to Bell's Expedition Stout is the overall alcohol content which is listed somewhere in the 11% abv range which is strong even by Imperial stout standards. It is simply so darned drinkable, it would be easy to down several at a sitting without thinking much about it until it was possibly too late to avoid the effects of too much imbibing.

You definitely should try this microbrew if you like dark beers and stouts in particular. I would recommend that you sip responsibly finishing with just one per session. Take the time to enjoy this masterpiece of a creation and it will be one you'll look forward to coming back to each and every winter. I'm giving Bell's Expedition Stout a 9.50 for the style which is in my book, the closest I've come to the perfect Russian Imperial Stout. Winter Cheers to you!

P.S. If you enjoyed this review, and microbrews in particular, please take a few minutes to visit my site at microbrewreview.blogspot.com for additional and ongoing microbrew reviews.

There is nothing quite as enjoyable as a finely produced craft beer (if you like beer of course). If you are passionate about craft beers and enjoy perusing honest, unbiased reviews of microbrews and craft beers, both good and bad, you'll definitely like my blog at http://microbrewreview.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=David_James

We've just opened a packet of Clipper Organic tea. It's blended from a number of soures, so I'm not clear how they can really know it's all organic.

Anyway, it's fairly strong, but not filthy. Not bad, in fact. My missus has yet to pronounce on it, so I don't know whether we'll be getting it again, (though she does drink that brand of Rhooibos tea).

MG