NFL chat thread

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I enjoy watching Favre play. Judging from the preseason game in Houston, he looks just fine. He didn't have much in the way of a deep ball, but that'll come.

Also think Harvin could add a lot to that team this season (once he masters the art of catching the ball on the deep corner route).

I'm liking the Vikes this year.

And the big screens in Dallas are ridiculous. I can't believe they won't be more than a little distracting for the fans, and the players.

How about the ruling if a punt hits the screen- IT'S A DO-OVER!!!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the ruling if a punt hits the screen- IT'S A DO-OVER!!!

The first time some player gets injured as a result of having to do a do-over, or the outcome of a game potentially changes, that ruling is going to modified very quickly.

I think it was a stupid ruling. Why not make them raise the video screen and be done with it?

I agree it's a distracting thing as a viewer too.

Charger's linebacker, Shawn Merriman gets arrested for choking out Tila Tequila.

I don't think anything can get better than this.

lightsouttila.jpg

:rofl: (OK, I stole all this from the Patriots discussion board.)

Hope this doesn't offend anyone. I'm focussing on the humorous side.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Merriman's lawyer now says that he was struggling to keep her from leaving the house as she was inebriated. Charges are being dropped.

Even if true, he's at least twice her size or more- did he need to choke her, etc?

Yes, it's starting to sound fishy. He could have grabbed her keys. Time will tell.

Hard luck Jeff Garcia gets the ax from the Raiders.

You know, if I live to be a thousand, I will never understand why the Niners ever let him go in the first place.

Just the other day I heard a commentator on Sirius say that he expected Russell to do so poorly that he expected Jeff Garcia to be the starter in October.

The guy is 39, so maybe no one will pick him up, but I don't think he's done if anyone wants to use him. That run he had with the Eagles a few years ago was one for the books!

Hard luck Jeff Garcia gets the ax from the Raiders.

You know, if I live to be a thousand, I will never understand why the Niners ever let him go in the first place.

Just the other day I heard a commentator on Sirius say that he expected Russell to do so poorly that he expected Jeff Garcia to be the starter in October.

The guy is 39, so maybe no one will pick him up, but I don't think he's done if anyone wants to use him. That run he had with the Eagles a few years ago was one for the books!

I get the fact he is 39, and I agree, what I don't understand is why the Niners let him go.

The man has some valuable experience to share....much like Dan Flutie did for the Chargers.

Kinda surprised to see the Patriots trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders. Apparently Seymour is upset and may not report. I thought the Pats would have shown a little more loyalty to Seymour after his long career there.

Pat's defense has lost Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, and Junior Seau this offseason. That's alot of football right there.

Kinda surprised to see the Patriots trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders. Apparently Seymour is upset and may not report. I thought the Pats would have shown a little more loyalty to Seymour after his long career there.

Pat's defense has lost Seymour, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, and Junior Seau this offseason. That's alot of football right there.

I think the Pats would rather trade a player with some years left than hold on to them until they decline. The pick the Pats got from the Raiders may turn out to be a good one, as long as the Raiders continue to stink for two more seasons.

I think the Pats would rather trade a player with some years left than hold on to them until they decline. The pick the Pats got from the Raiders may turn out to be a good one, as long as the Raiders continue to stink for two more seasons.

Good point - they sure picked a good trading partner. Seymour is getting older, and probably doesn't have much left in the tank - Conn probably knows better than I do about that. But getting a first-rounder out of the Raiders is gold.

Good point - they sure picked a good trading partner. Seymour is getting older, and probably doesn't have much left in the tank - Conn probably knows better than I do about that. But getting a first-rounder out of the Raiders is gold.

Yep. And the Pats are good at plugging new players into their system when established ones move on. It's probably not the loss for them that it would be for most other teams. They don't seem to miss a beat when they cut loose high profile players.

It strikes me as a great deal for the Pats. Seymour is disruptive when he's on, but he hasn't shown much motivation over the last few years. He has lost quite a few games to injuries, and has played many games while being rendered mediocre from injuries. He can still be a force, imo, but I'm not sure he will be on a consistent basis. He just doesn't show up for some games. He could still help the Pats, but the team is very deep in defensive linemen. His likely replacement will be Jarvis Green, who is no slouch. Second round draftee, Ron Brace, has had a good camp, as has rookie by the name of Pryor. In addition, quality backups exist such as Mike Wright. Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren remain on the line. Belichick knew he would be losing Seymour after this year. In addition, Big Sey has held out twice in the past, and has shown greater interest in his income than on his production. Getting a 2011 first rounder from Oakland, which may turn out to be a top 10 pick is an absolute steal, imo. Rumor has it that Belichick would have been happy trading Seymour to Kansas City for their second round pick next year. Bear in mind, also, that 2011 is the year where a rookie salary cap is being planned. Can you imagine picking in the top 10 without having to pay out massive guaranteed contracts to rookies? Belichick always seems to be playing chess while the rest of the league plays checkers.

If you factor in production versus salary demand, Seymour was overpaid. It's okay to overpay a player in a position of need, but the Pats are deep on the defensive line. They've freed up some cap room, and are in a better position to extend the contracts of 2010 free agents, DT Vince Wilfork and OG Logan Mankins, who are younger impact players still in their prime. I've been hoping the Pats would trade Seymour for a couple of years now, and am delighted with the deal. Still have to check the latest news, however, as the media is reporting that Seymour is stonewalling the trade. He doesn't want to go to Oakland. But maybe that's the silly media making stuff up.

Nice debut by Mark Sanchez today. I expected more out of the Texans, but Sanchez seems to be the real deal...so far.

Wild game-winning play by the Broncos too, to beat the Bengals.

The Cowboys looked very rusty to me in the first half of the game vs. the Bucs, but played alot better in the second half. Romo threw 2 60 yrd+ TD passes, which is the first time that's happened for the Cowboys since 1962. Romo's now got 17 games of 300 or more yards passing, extending his Cowboy record. That is impressive considering his relatively short tenure, and who's come before him at QB there.

Iggles DESTROYED the Panthers today in Carolina. McNabb breaks a rib and is out 2-4 weeks. Don't know who to be madder at: 1: the Carolina player that made the late hit while DMac lay on the ground after scoring a TD, 2. the refs that didn't call a penalty. :rmad::rmad::rmad:

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Iggles DESTROYED the Panthers today in Carolina. McNabb breaks a rib and is out 2-4 weeks. Don't know who to be madder at: 1: the Carolina player that made the late hit while DMac lay on the ground after scoring a TD, 2. the refs that didn't call a penalty. :rmad::rmad::rmad:

Out 2-4 weeks while Vick is still ineligible to play for another game. I guess Kolb will have to carry the team for at least one game. Has he looked ok yet?