NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing but Favre can still play well at his age. He can still zing the ball. Having AP on your team doesn't hurt, and their defense is very good. Jared Allen is a monster.

No question having Favre gives them a lot more options. Supposedly, he was only supposed to be there to hand off to AP, but Green Bay really focused on stopping the running game (and to be fair did a good job of that), daring Favre to beat them in the air. Of course, he answered in spades. The Vikings' goal line stand (in the 3rd?) was also huge.

My wife didn't know who to root for, so hoped for a tie. But the Vikings are clearly the better team. No chance of that. Yeah, Vikings @ Green Bay should be good.

If we were to look at the top 5 quarterbacks of all time, it is possible that we've got 3 of them playing today: Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning.

It's amazing if you think about it. Others to consider: Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitis, Steve Young, John Elway.

Conn, I believe that the greatest of all time was Terry Bradshaw. I think that he was the most accurate passer of all time, often throwing between three defenders to get the ball to Lynn Swann. And in addition, what many people don't know is that he called his own plays. And, of course, he was a winner, winning four Super Bowls.

The other to keep in mind is Otto Graham. He was a little before my time, but no one can top this: He played pro ten years, and played in the league championship game every year.

If we were to look at the top 5 quarterbacks of all time, it is possible that we've got 3 of them playing today: Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning.

It's amazing if you think about it. Others to consider: Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitis, Steve Young, John Elway.

Conn, I believe that the greatest of all time was Terry Bradshaw. I think that he was the most accurate passer of all time, often throwing between three defenders to get the ball to Lynn Swann. And in addition, what many people don't know is that he called his own plays. And, of course, he was a winner, winning four Super Bowls.

The other to keep in mind is Otto Graham. He was a little before my time, but no one can top this: He played pro ten years, and played in the league championship game every year.

Bob Griese?

Bart Starr?

Roger Staubach?

Broadway Joe?

We are lucky to see so many first rate QBs right now.

Conn, I believe that the greatest of all time was Terry Bradshaw. I think that he was the most accurate passer of all time, often throwing between three defenders to get the ball to Lynn Swann.

Its very hard to sustain a "most accurate passer of all-time" claim when you consider that overall, there was a 50/50 chance a Bradshaw pass was caught by the guy wearing the right uniform (51.9% lifetime completion rate). :rolleyes:

Bradshaw was a great QB but simply cannot rank in the top five. I'm not sure he's a top 10 but he's surely not top 5.

Chad Finn of the Globe has an interesting take on the question of all-time QBs, riffing off of Peter King's SI piece.

The quarterback position is a really difficult one to judge. Those considered "the greatest" all have/had the team around them which enables/enabled them to perform. I was just discussing this on another board in another context, but a great example is looking at the performances of Kerry Collins and Matt Cassell on different teams. On the Raiders, Collins couldn't do much of anything but on the Titans he's able to maximize his abilities. On the Pats, Cassell looked like a Pro Bowl quarterback but on the Chiefs he doesn't look nearly as good.

Brett Favre with protection on the Vikes looks great, Favre getting roughed up on the Jets deteriorates to mediocre. Looking across that list above, the superbowl winning quarterbacks on the list all had extremely well-balanced teams and great protection in the years they were able to win. To me the most impressive one on the list might be Marino, whose ability is unquestioned despite never winning the big game.

Looking at someone like Joe Montana, who played big in big games and won when he was supposed to, a case could be made that his greatness is lessened to a degree because Steve Young was able to be plugged into that Niners system and perform at the top level as well. Both are great quarterbacks, but there's luck in getting selected by/playing for a great team and a winning situation. There's a similar situation in New England, where Tom Brady was replaced by Matt Cassell and Cassell looked outstanding in that situation too.

So, there's a few variables--the QB's individual skills and clutch factor, and then the team around the QB which lets him play his best...

Edited by Noj

I think I could make a case for 9 time Pro Bowler Warren Moon on my list too by the way. When you factor in his CFL and NFL years, he had more passing yards than anybody else when he retired. In fact, he still is second on that list, with an almost 5,000 yard lead over third place Brett Favre.

I know yardage doesn't equal wins or championships, but it is a testament to how well he did the important part of his job - anybody can hand a ball off to an RB, but not anybody can make pass completions, especially for that many yards.

Edited by Aggie87

Here are Peter King's Top 12, by the way, from 9/22/09:

1. Otto Graham

2. Sammy Baugh

3. Joe Montana

4. Johnny Unitas

5. Brett Favre

6. Peyton Manning

7. John Elway

8. Dan Marino

9. Roger Staubach

10. Tom Brady

11. Bart Starr

12. Terry Bradshaw

But I think there is a tendency to discount currently active players, especially since more is expected before their careers end.

It's impossible to rank quarterbacks, but with Favre, Brady and Manning, we've got three of the alltime best for sure.

I think Bradshaw was a great quarterback as well. Great arm. Tough competitor. He was perhaps underappreciated since his team was so powerful.

Bob Griese?

Bart Starr?

Roger Staubach?

Broadway Joe?

Staubach maybe.

Bob Griese?

Bart Starr?

Roger Staubach?

Broadway Joe?

Staubach maybe.

Read something a while ago that Namath is actually one of the most overrated QBs. He had a couple of good years but pretty average career stats. He had a losing record as a starter (62-63-4), a 50.1% completion rate and a 65.5 career QB rating.

Compare that to a guy like Staubach (not the top tier, but in the discussion) who had an 85-29 record as a starter, a 57% completion rate and an 83.4 career QB rating.

Or a top-tier guy like Montana, who had a 117-42 record as a starter, a 63.2% completion rate and a 92.3 career QB rating.

A guy like Trent Dilfer has numbers more in line with Namath's: 58-55 record as a starter, a 55.5% completion rate and a 70.2 career QB rating. (Better than I expected, really).

If Namath's in the discussion, Dilfer should be, too. Which of course probably means Namath shouldn't be.

Edited by papsrus