So How You Feelin' This Holiday Season?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling extraordinarily mortal. Some time off, though, so that's nice... enjoying the new Ellington Mosaic, a new batch of Heps, and about to crack the Tony Williams Select. Tonight my wife & I are going to watch a holiday-ish movie we've never seen before, It Happened on 5th Avenue. We have our first Christmas tree in the new house--"the big boy," the employees at the lot called it ( :D ) and it's striking a very Victorian pose in our library/living room. I'm grateful for all I have in my life and becoming more acutely aware that I haven't given back nearly enough to the world, esp. in light of much more fortunate I am than many others. Along with listening to the new Duke Mosaic, I've been rereading REMINISCING IN TEMPO, the oral history--and in a weird way it's a rather appropriate book for this time of year, in that so much of the humanity of Ellington and his band members comes through, as well as that of the people they encounter (Barney Bigard's story on pg. 220-21 of the hardback edition is a humorous and oddly poignant account of how the band got served in a restaurant outside St. Louis circa 1940; that's one example).

Not looking forward to the last minute shopping, but I am very much looking forward to seeing my family. Plus one of my best friends is in town from Vallejo, CA. Should be a very enjoyable week and weekend.

:rolleyes:

Alright, Joe. No offense, but anybody who puts themselves in a position to have to do last minute shopping deserves what they get.

;)

For those with Seasonal-Affective Disorder coloured by a tinge of dysthimia... at least there's jazz records!

This usually waits until the beginning of the year to come and get me but usually I'm too busy for it to hit me full on. Around May things start to look the way I want them to.

Edited by chris olivarez

I've felt better about the holiday in recent years by not caring as much about what I give. Don't get me wrong, with some family members I spend a lot of time thinking about and hunting down (sometimes even making) the right gift, but I just don't let it get to me. You try your best but if you fail to be creative its not the end of the world. This year I mostly avoided the awful holiday music by shopping online more or going to the hippie Holiday Market on weekends.

So the annoyances of the season are gone, and that's big for me as that's what I tend to feel about the season in recent years. I'm not religious, but in a way the spiritual element of Christmas is sort of an extension of Thanksgiving for me. I feel very fortunate to have my health and to be alive with ears that work and plenty of music for the ears to enjoy. I've had too many friends & family members in recent years who have had health problems (some died), so good health shouldn't be underestimated or go unappreciated. It's also a time to be reminded (shaken down) by charities to write checks again, and you know the old saying, better to give than receive. Also like Thanksgiving there's a meal, and in this case we do the Oregon thing of having Dungeness crab. It's quicker than cooking a big bird so there's more time to enjoy playing board games or other fun things during the day.

It would be easy enough to get sad over the loss of a more traditional magic of Christmas I suppose, but nah, I rather like our reformed mostly secular bastardization. We did happen upon A Charlie Brown Christmas last night and both commented on how we hadn't seen it over 10 years, maybe more. Couldn't help but smile over parts of it, and good Old Charlie Brown was yet another reminder that lots of folks have trouble with the holiday.

I've been in somewhat of a Christmas spirit, but that's all going to be shot to hell by the end of this week when we're back in Florida. It's going to be 80 degrees.

BAH!!! :angry:

I'm in Colorado waiting for a big dump of snow. I'll trade you. :)

Brother, I spent 33 years of Christmas in Florida.

You've got yourself a deal. I'll take snow for Christmas anyday over having your damn A/C running. :angry:

I've been in somewhat of a Christmas spirit, but that's all going to be shot to hell by the end of this week when we're back in Florida. It's going to be 80 degrees.

You've got yourself a deal. I'll take snow for Christmas anyday over having your damn A/C running. :angry:

We've gotten a sneak preview already of what is supposed to be a fairly vigourous storm for the next 24 plus hours. One thing is for certain you don't run your ac in Colorado in December. :lol:

I've had better.

JM I've had my fair share of Christmases like that to the point that I thought I would permanently loathe the holiday fortunately I worked past that . This one is for me is somewhere between a Happy Holiday and one that is in the Chrisatmas crapper. Hopefully things will turn around for you before the 25th if not on that day than soon.

I enjoy snow as much as the next person (spend my first 26 years in the plains or northeast) but I have to say, I have no problem with Christmas weather that is sunny and 75 degrees. And it didn't take me 33 Christmases in Florida to realize that. :angry:

When the old lady wants to go out and put lights on the house and it's 85 degrees, let's just say it's damn near impossible to get into the "Christmas spirit".

I guess I must have missed all those Christmas cards whre people were wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and sweating their ass off.

:tdown

...maybe if you didn't refer to her as "the old lady"...... :w