James Brown dies

brownie

Guest youmustbe

The first Little Richard record I bought was Good Golly Miss Molly...the line ...'Sure likes to ball...' threw me. I was 12 years old and couldn't figure out what it had to do with baseball?!!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Little Richard record I bought was Good Golly Miss Molly...the line ...'Sure likes to ball...' threw me. I was 12 years old and couldn't figure out what it had to do with baseball?!!

Always has blown my mind that they got that one past the censors in the 50's, but "Eight Miles High" (about the Concorde, but used the word "high"), "Eve of Destruction" ("Think of all the hate there is in Red China, then take a look around at Selma, Alabama" was enough to get it banned in the south, including Huntsville, Alabama where I was living. I never heard it until years later when we moved back to the north, even though it was a #1 song nationally), "Give a Damn" ("And if I begin to teach you, how to give a damn about your fellow man") all got banned in different places in the 60's, and "Flood" got pulled from playlists immediately in the 90's when someone figured out they were talking about Noah's Ark rather than about existential angst.

Alfie, the only back up you need is a cpl steps-- a cpl more steps-- ONE more-- & into a puddle, a pool, a lake, a river-- something that'll wake yr dead ass up, dipshit. You front abt Startime pix, well diggity doosh-- there are plenty of other ways. You are witless, dreary & need to shut the fuck up a few (a few more) years, listen hard, & travel, if possible, before even faking such surety. I ain't thrilled to break it down like this, boy, I'm feeling generous. You can PayPal my mentor fee c/o the ACLU, gracias. (Big ups to Little Willie John regardless--

[continuing]

while sometimes a useful rubric-- esp. for weeding out simps stoops & dolts (see above)-- the North <---> South dichotomy is far too reductive in ways that tend to favor Yanquis' more 'liberal' self-perception. tho' diminished, both the regional & local still persist, esp outside the increasingly marginal(ized) Brutha' <---> Ofay dialectic. this ain't to dispute much of Kali, tho' I'd insist we need to be detailed (& I suspect he'd agree) but I do suggest Northerners check it before gettin' all down on South. segregation was one thing-- everything else is... everything else & the riots in Harlem & Brooklyn before MLK Boulevard was finished don't get mentioned often enough, tho' Detroit and Los Angeles and Newark, etc. were more spectacular.

from what I know of East Texas-- which is somehting tho' not nearly as much as Elder Sangrey-- it's a verrrrry regional, localized area (outside Houston) to this day. Nick Tosches did a George Jones piece once that limned things pretty well as Tex points out, that area is a swell place for some folks to hide-- those who don't like that can (& do) git the hell out. That doesn't let anyone else off the hook either, however, whatever words were hot at diff places, times. Who killed Fred Hampton? Or, Who Killed George Jackson? which I recommend way before ANY known documentary, not that I'm dismissing that at all, just that book, by Jo-Durden Smith, is far too obscure for it's quality & the questions it raises-- which ain't just the one posed by the title by a long shot.

re: the Pantha's, yah I've known some to greater & lesser degrees. one dude was Oakland native & poet, taught in the Cali prison system a long time too. At one point, I probably read every primary source book there was & sampled a good bit of the other literature (underground press).

Tex & Kali, ya'll know Ringolevio by Emmett Grogan? without preface or qualification, i strongly recommend it, tho' we can discuss what it is, "means" after that.

okie doke, OUT-- Kali, yr a swell cat so I'll was goofin' Hannibal Marvin Peterson cuz I thought you'd understand. He does live in BK (last I checked) & he's still a race man-- understandably so, tho' that shit's still pretty misunderstood also.

Promise Is Comfort to a Fool,

Doc

Doc,

Recommend you make a choice here. Do you want to spend your posts addressing the discussion at hand, in which case a few people may keep reading your comments, or do you want to spend it dissing anyone who doesn't meet your qualifications of "authentic", which to varying degrees seems to be most anyone that would dare question you on anything. If your posts keep being of the latter variety, you'll deservedly lose your voice here, through the "ignore" options, either on the site or in our heads.

Agreed. I've finally had my fill of Clem. He's on "ignore" from now on.

JB is easily one of the top 5 black people of all time.

The reason I find this premise so distasteful is the assumption of the author and, obviously, others by their lists, to associate fame and celebrity with importance. Maybe some people ought to find out about the contributions of people like Benjamin Banaker, Garrett Morgan, Louis Lattimer, Hannibal, Elijah McCoy, Madam Walker, Nefertiti and other great queens and kings of Egypt, Timbuktu and other African nations, Gamal Abdel Nasser, Anwar Sadat, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Marcus Garvey, Jomo Kenyatta, Kwame Nkrumah, Madam Walker, Marshall "Major" Taylor and too many more to list.

I don't think Nasser and Sadat were black -- they were north African Arabs.

Guy

Both of them said they were. Sadat addressed the Black Caucus and affirmed this and even promised financial contributions to the caucus shortly before he was killed.

Regardless of what they said, if they were black there are a whole lot of black people around the Mediterranean and Middle East.

Guy

I hate to do your research for you but some of this stuff is real easy to look up.

This is from Wikipedia:

Early life

Sadat was born in Mit Abu Al-Kum, Al-Minufiyah, Egypt, to a poor Egyptian-Sudanese family, one of 13 brothers and sisters. His father was Egyptian, his mother was Sudanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadat

Now go look up the Sudan. His mother was a very dark-skinned African. I don't need to make sh!t up.

Guy

Both of them said they were. Sadat addressed the Black Caucus and affirmed this and even promised financial contributions to the caucus shortly before he was killed.

Regardless of what they said, if they were black there are a whole lot of black people around the Mediterranean and Middle East.

Guy

I hate to do your research for you but some of this stuff is real easy to look up.

This is from Wikipedia:

Early life

Sadat was born in Mit Abu Al-Kum, Al-Minufiyah, Egypt, to a poor Egyptian-Sudanese family, one of 13 brothers and sisters. His father was Egyptian, his mother was Sudanese.

Now go look up the Sudan. His mother was a very dark-skinned African. I don't need to make sh!t up.

Sudan is split into two halves -- a northern Arab half and a southern "black African" half. Which half was Sadat's mother from? However, I will concede that it is possible that Sadat had a black African heritage.

FWIW, what about Nasser?

Guy

Edited by Guy

JB is easily one of the top 5 black people of all time.

The reason I find this premise so distasteful is the assumption of the author and, obviously, others by their lists, to associate fame and celebrity with importance. Maybe some people ought to find out about the contributions of people like Benjamin Banaker, Garrett Morgan, Louis Lattimer, Hannibal, Elijah McCoy, Madam Walker, Nefertiti and other great queens and kings of Egypt, Timbuktu and other African nations, Gamal Abdel Nasser, Anwar Sadat, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Marcus Garvey, Jomo Kenyatta, Kwame Nkrumah, Madam Walker, Marshall "Major" Taylor and too many more to list.

Guy

Guy

This is from Wikipedia:

Early life

When I was in college, I took a pre-colonial African history course. Among other things, I learned that skin coloring has little (if anything) to do with race. There are caucasians in Northern Africa who are as dark-skinned as any sub-Saharan African (this point was emphasized when a very dark skinned African American student incredulously asked, "You mean there are caucasians in North Africa who are as black as I?" to which the professor answered in the affirmative). So there may well be "black" people in the Mediterranean and Middle East who are not necessarily Negroid. Not that it matters.

I would also like to make one point clear: I never "dissed" JB. Mr. Brown has my eternal admiration (see my first post in this thread) and I rank him as high as any American musical genius. He occupies a rarifed place in the American Musical Pantheon. He will never be replaced, nor will his achievements ever be matched.

My quibble was ONLY when some tried to suggest that JB was "one of the top five black people in America." I disagree, only because I feel that there are realms BEYOND music where people have made even more significant contributions to the well-being of black Americans, and of Americans in general. I selected King and Marshall as outstanding examples of African Americans who made the world a better place for people of all races and creeds. Are there others who have contributed in other ways? Of course there are. Unlike Clem, I don't claim to "school" people. I don't believe that you've "never heard of" Marshall. My job is not to educate you. All I offer is my opinion.

As I said earlier, I have added Clem to my ignore list (the first time I have ever done so with a poster on this board). Clem is a boor and a bully and I have no time for such people. I hope I never again have to engage is such a ridiculous exchange as I have on this thread.

I offer my apologies to everyone else who had to endure this childish bickering.

Edited by Alexander

Guest youmustbe

An of course Little Richard's Tutti Frutti, sung and popularized by Pat Boone....a song about anal licking!

I remember in 6th grade in Jackson Heights, we would do the Huckelbuck at recess...line up behind a girl, hold her tight by the waist, and thrust your pelvis into her rump! And we all thought we were doing the skit from Honeymooners.....!

Never understood why the 50's got tagged with the 'dull' label...a/o Elvis, James Dean, Little Rock, Sputnik, you name it. But most of all, Miles, Monk, Bud, Bird, Max, Clifford, Trane, Sonny, and on and on and on....

An of course Little Richard's Tutti Frutti, sung and popularized by Pat Boone....a song about anal licking!

I remember in 6th grade in Jackson Heights, we would do the Huckelbuck at recess...line up behind a girl, hold her tight by the waist, and thrust your pelvis into her rump! And we all thought we were doing the skit from Honeymooners.....!

Never understood why the 50's got tagged with the 'dull' label...a/o Elvis, James Dean, Little Rock, Sputnik, you name it. But most of all, Miles, Monk, Bud, Bird, Max, Clifford, Trane, Sonny, and on and on and on....

My dad tells me that the 50s were only boring if you weren't paying attention (or were only paying attention to TV).

Edited by Alexander

Poor James is still above ground.

James Brown's Body Remains in S.C. Home

Wednesday January 10, 2007 3:46 AM

By KATRINA A. GOGGINS

Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The body of soul singer James Brown has yet to be buried as attorneys and his children work to settle issues surrounding his estate, including where he will be laid to rest.

For now, his body lies in a sealed casket in his home on Beech Island, said Charles Reid, manager of the C.A. Reid Funeral Home in Augusta, Ga., which handled the services.

Brown died of heart failure Dec. 25 at age 73. His will has yet to be filed, said Buddy Dallas, an attorney for the singer.

The room where Brown's body lies is being kept at a controlled temperature, and security guards keep watch, Reid said.

The funeral home delivered Brown's body after services Dec. 30, Reid said.

Brown's home has been locked since hours after his death to protect his memorabilia, furnishing, clothes and other personal items, Dallas said.

``Just imagine what would have happened,'' Dallas said. ``Items of James Brown would have left there like items off the shelves of Macy's in an after-Christmas sale.''

The trustees for his will, along with Brown's children, will determine the burial site, Dallas said.

Tomi Rae Hynie, Brown's partner, said shortly after his death that she encountered locked gates as she tried to get into the home she says she shared with the singer and their 5-year-old son.

She wouldn't discuss the incident Tuesday, but her lawyer said Hynie should be granted access to the home, although he would not talk about whether Hynie might take legal action.

``The hope is that all parties can sit down and figure out what the problem is and what the challenges are,'' attorney Thornton Morris said. ``And once we figure out what the challenges are we'll see if we can't resolve something that's a win for everybody.''

Meanwhile, a woman who claims Brown raped her nearly 20 years ago said Tuesday she will continue her lawsuit.

Jacque Hollander has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear her sexual harassment suit, which a lower court ruled last year she had waited too long to file. A Supreme Court decision on whether to hear the case is pending.

She argues that the two-year statute of limitations in such cases does not provide equal protection to women.

``This has been a long road that ended tragically Christmas morning,'' Hollander said in a phone interview with the Associated Press.

``As a rape victim, I will never get to face him in court, and it hurts,'' she said. ``But we are moving forward. We filed against his organization, as well as him. So now his organization stands in front of him.''

In her lawsuit, Hollander said Brown raped her at gunpoint in 1988 while she was his publicist. She seeks $106 million in damages.

A federal appeals court tossed out Hollander's lawsuit in August.

``There was nothing to it 20 years ago and nothing to it 20 years later,'' Dallas said.

WHOA! FUTURE SHOCK!

Dude, I watched that show religiously. For as long as it was on... :g

Low-budget Soul Train knockoff, but with the incomprable Godfather egotisity overflowing from start to finish, done when his slide in popularity was more than slightly underway. Most vivid memory was of one regular dancer who, well, ok, you know how back in the 80s the thing was to wear a Benz hood ornament as a necklace? Yeah, well this cat predated all that shit by a decade, except instead of the Benz thing, he wore a JB 45 (for all you uber-kids, that's a record, not a gun...). I kid you know. Cat would be dancing all around with a freakin' 45 dangling around his neck from a chain.

You can't get TV like that anymore. And you couldn't get it but for a few months back then. But them was the daze.

awesome-you know what would be the best, if he did one last tour and they got they got the jbs back together they should give a funky concert w/ james browns casket in the center, and have a little speaker in the casket w/ jbs vocal track. i would pay a million dollars to see that concert

Somehow, I get the feeling that might actually happen.