James Brown dies

brownie

You are aware that we're talking about Chewy here, aren't you?

Yep. I like Chewy from some good dealings we've had offline exchanging CD's, hope to see him learn to post in a way where he will be able to gain some credibility in the neighborhood rather than being dismissed out of hand. He's a good guy.

Edited by felser

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are aware that we're talking about Chewy here, aren't you?

Yep. I like Chewy from some good dealings we've had offline exchanging CD's, hope to see him learn to post in a way where he will be able to gain some credibility in the neighborhood rather than being dismissed out of hand. He's a good guy.

I've enjoyed Chewy's presence on a couple boards going back six years or so, and way back when I likely did a trade or two with him too (though I don't have a specific recollection). However, I've always assumed that his self-chosen role on message boards is one of comic relief. I meant nothing more.

In chewy's defense, his statement is not w/o merit if you want to consider the impact that JB had on Civil Rights Era & beyond African-American culture. Brown's impact was much more than just musical, it extended to self-image as well, and that was/is hugely important to that whole area of examination. Those of us who were around while it was happening should know this, and know it well.

To bust chewy's chops, his statement was phrased in such a way that one might think that he only knows about "black people" from watching Entertainment Tonight or some such.

In the early 1970s I saw JB on the Merv Griffin Show. Guess they were talking about jazz singers because all at once JB gets up and sings "Day By Day" with the band. At that moment he was a VERY good relaxed jazz singer.

As good as I've ever heard the song. I wonder if anyone here also caught that show?

Add Mohammad Ali to the unneeded (and bad taste) list.

In the early 1970s I saw JB on the Merv Griffin Show. Guess they were talking about jazz singers because all at once JB gets up and sings "Day By Day" with the band. At that moment he was a VERY good relaxed jazz singer.

As good as I've ever heard the song.

Have you heard Soul on Top? JB definitely had a lot of love for jazz & jazz singers. Discussion here.

Edited by ghost of miles

Which recording is the one where he calls out "Take it to the Bridge Maceo"?

All of 'em? ;):tup

RIP JB!

I was listening to a live JB CD a while back, and he was doing "Georgia". He finishes the first eight bars, and before starting the next phrase says, "I'd like to send this out to Cheryl and the staff at the Days Inn!" :lol:

Edited by DukeCity

I remember first hearing James Brown for the first time while I was in high school in the early to mid 1960s. The impact was overwhelming and when I saw him for the first time on television I was hooked forever. Live at The Apollo-I played it to death and wore out several copies. His bands were always magnificent. His impact on me had a lasting influence on my musical tastes to this day. RIP James Brown. I miss you already.

"Can I count it off"

"Count it off"

"Can I count it off"

"Count it off"

"Can I count it off"

"Count it off"

"Can I count it off"

"Count it off"

1,2,3,4---------------"Get up, get on up..."

My son is 14, and when he was about a year old I started him on JB, by two he was singing along to "Make it Funky" & "Say it Loud". Thanks so much, JB, you helped create a forever memory with me and my son.

If you don't have it, get 'Love, Power, Peace'- Bootsy, his brother on guitar, the JBs on fire, it's a smoker!!!

As good as I've ever heard the song.

Have you heard Soul on Top? JB definitely had a lot of love for jazz & jazz singers. Discussion here.

No. I'll try to remember this info though. Thank you.

Brown biopic in the works

Lee signs on for Godfather of Soul film

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Spike Lee has signed on to direct a feature on the life of James Brown for Paramount and Imagine Entertainment. Brian Grazer is producing, and the pic could be in production by late next year, though 2008 is more likely.

Lee will rewrite a draft recently turned in by Jezz and John Henry Butterworth. Script has been through several drafts since Steve Baigelman wrote the original.

Brown was an active part of the development of the biopic project. The singer met with Baigelman, and gave the Butterworth brothers access to his camp. Brown's longtime sideman Bobby Byrd also was interviewed for two days by the Butterworth duo. The rights package includes Brown's life rights, and also access to all his music rights.

"Like everybody, I was surprised and saddened that James Brown died," Grazer said Tuesday. "Having known him well, and after spending lots of time with him and researching his life, it's somehow not surprising that he died on Christmas Day. He was the ultimate showman, all the way to the end."

Lee has two other projects with Grazer. He will next direct a John Ridley-scripted film on the L.A. riots for Universal and Imagine. He will either follow with the Brown film or an "Inside Man" sequel, which Russell Gewirtz is scripting.