Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

Supposedly an obscurity outside of Europe:

Arnvid Meyers Orchestra: Right Out of Kansas City 1959-1973, issue by Sundance Music in Denmark.

Guests include Ben Webster, Benny Carter, Don Byas, Vic Dickenson, Coleman Hawkins, Buck Clayton, Charlie Shavers, Brew Moore and others.

5 CDs + a DVD

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Supposedly an obscurity outside of Europe:

Arnvid Meyers Orchestra: Right Out of Kansas City 1959-1973, issue by Sundance Music in Denmark.

Guests include Ben Webster, Benny Carter, Don Byas, Vic Dickenson, Coleman Hawkins, Buck Clayton, Charlie Shavers, Brew Moore and others.

5 CDs + a DVD

A great set!

Now listening to:

Various Artists: Jazz In Sweden 1949-1961 - The Legendary Years (Rhino) disc 1

Disc 1 contains superb recordings by Harry Arnold and his Swedish Radio Studio Orchestra from 1957-61, among the first rate soloists are: Bengt-Arne Wallin, Benny Bailey, Ake Persson, Arne Domnerus, Bjarne Nerem, Lucky Thompson, Bengt Hallberg, Egil Johanssen

Various Artists: Jazz In Sweden 1949-1961 - The Legendary Years (Rhino) disc 2

Many familiar and some unknown (at least for me) names, great musicians all of them. First category: Ake Persson, Bengt Hallberg, Arne Domnerus, Putte Wickman, Bjarne Nerem, Georg Riedel, Jan Johansson, Rolf Ericson, Nils-Bertil Dahlander, Rune Gustafsson. Second category: Erik Nordström (tenorsax player strongly influenced by Stan Getz and Zoot Sims), Arnold Johansson (agile valve-trombone player with a nice fat tone), Allan Lundström (fine fluent tenor Al Cohn school), Anders Burman (swinging drummer).

With all the talk of the upcoming Artie Shaw Mosaic, I broke out the Artie Shaw: Begin the Beguine box set; listening to cd five, Alone Together. This is a very good box set for Shaw, ten cds at a cheap price and the sound is very good (most of the time), and I happen to like to vocals also! (hear that Mosaic?)

41S-od3GS7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Joe Henderson: The Milestone years Disc 4 (In Pursuit of Blackness, 3/4ths of In Japan) Got the set for my birthday and gave the individual disc of Lighthouse and In Japan to my neighbor for his birthday, he's a huge Joe fan. I actually am preferring the sound of these 2 sessions on the box, listening through Audio Technica ATH-M40FS studio monitor phones.