Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51R2CdHkjEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John Coltrane - Live Trane: The European Concerts (Pablo). Disc one, with the great Stockholm 1961 sets with Eric Dolphy. To get personal for a minute, I still remember finding a record store in Atlanta (back in 1979 or '80) that had a very hip jazz buyer - my jaw dropped while looking through the stacks. They had records I had only read about. My first two purchases were Andrew Hill's Point of Departure and an Affinity LP with one of the Coltrane Stockholm sets I'm listening to now.

stan getz. the complete roost recordings. it's early getz... so it's good enough if you like the formative years, when the artist's voice is still fresh and not too overmarketed, better than the later years when it's more a question of satisfyinig an audience than saying what you want to say.

41LllmZyMbL._SS400_.jpg

Fela - The Complete Works of Fela Anikulapo Kuti

Again and again played discs from this in the past days... making my way through it, trying to sort things out (they could have programmed this chronologically, methinks... doing my own discography with help of this site now).

Needless to say, the music's effin' amazin'!

Btw, it's of course not quite complete... but 26 CDs will be more than most want, I guess... Me, I need more Koola Lobitos, that's for sure!

stan getz. the complete roost recordings. it's early getz... so it's good enough if you like the formative years, when the artist's voice is still fresh and not too overmarketed, better than the later years when it's more a question of satisfyinig an audience than saying what you want to say.

If I could keep only 10 jazz records, this would be one.

a20791613110b2b6faa0cb_m.jpg

yeah!

got this a few days ago, giving it a first spin tonight - into the third album by now, not sure about the fourth and fifth, but the first two are classics of course and the third so far sounds very good, too!

the five full albums included are:

Music for K (Polish Jazz Vol. 22)

Twet (Polish Jazz Vol. 39)

Music 81 (Polish Jazz Vol. 69)

Lady Go

Switzerland - Tomasz Stanko Freelectronic Live at Montreux Jazz Festival 1987

in case someone wonders: I bought mine from amazon.fr - pretty acceptable price there...

the discs come in mini-lp/replica cardboard sleeves in a small box (CD-sized, roughly) and there's a booklet coming with it - two essays, one on Stanko in general, another one on the albums and the music, both in polish and english. Haven't yet read any of it though.