Esmond Edwards

brownie

The death of photographer Esmond Edwards has been reported last week on a couple of sites. I have not seen any obituary about it in the traditional media.

Edwards was responsible for some of the best covers on Prestige albums and other labels.

The Esmond Edwards page at CTSImages

One of my favorite of his Prestige albums cover:

B000000Y4Q.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just found this list over here: http://www.docdosco.com/edwards.html

Pretty impressive!

They missed off the list most of the early Willis Jackson Prestige material; Baby Face Willette's "Mo rock"; Jimmy Ponder's "While my guitar gently weeps" and loads of other stuff.

Esmond really took Bob Weinstock's place as a producer in the late '50s and guided the company away from the jam sessions that Bob loved to a slightly more structured approach, a bit more akin to Blue Note, but focusing on tenor players whose work appealed more to a black audience: Arnett Cobb; Jaws and the Cookbooks; Jimmy Forrest; King Curtis; Gator Tail; Hal Singer; and of course Jug. As a result of this focus, he got into organ players - McDuff; Scott; Young. It shouldn't be forgotten that it was Esmond who first produced Larry Young. (And, after he left Prestige for Argo, he continued to record Young, under Thornel Schwartz' name.)

All that really set the tone for Prestige. The main Prestige producers who followed Esmond - Ozzie Cadena; Cal Lampley; Bob Porter - were just sewing in the fields Esmond had ploughed. Esmond really created '60s/'70s Prestige. That made him a MAJOR hero for me.

(And of course, he produced one of my all time favourite disco albums - "Warm and Sonny" by Sonny Criss.)

This is a really sad day.

RIP.

MG

derailing the thread for a second... I tend to think of Cadena as a Savoy producer, mainly (and a helluva fine composer, ha ha ha)... and your Prestige list misses Don Schlitten who did the books of Booger and other fine things (he too worked for other labels, and I think he took some photos as well).

derailing the thread for a second... I tend to think of Cadena as a Savoy producer, mainly (and a helluva fine composer, ha ha ha)... and your Prestige list misses Don Schlitten who did the books of Booger and other fine things (he too worked for other labels, and I think he took some photos as well).

Absolutely - Ozzie was a very important producer at Savoy. It was his idea to use RVG for recording Gospel music at Savoy. And of course he also produced the few Gospel albums that Prestige issued on the TruSound label.

Don Schlitten was a different kind of producer at Prestige, which is why I didn't include him in my list. Don was mainly producing Bop and Hard Bop albums, not following the Esmond Edwards model, which was by and large Soul Jazz, and what Prestige was better known for than any other label.

MG