March 20, 2007 RVGs

mgraham333

Listening to the RVG of Compulsion — which, to my ears, actually does have more "life" than the Mosaic — I started thinking about Alfred Lion. It bears repeating: what an amazing producer. The freedom he gave Andrew to take on projects like this one ... and then the work with the string quartet, and then the voices! Only on artist-produced sessions, for the most part, would one find this kind of variety and diversity in music today.

Even though I've already heard the music, I'm really looking forward to the Connoisseur of Change. How early does CDUniverse put up their pre-orders?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thad is one of my favorite trumpet players, and I was excited to hear this side as I had never heard it before. But to my ears, everyone sounds like they are on auto-pilot, and not one of the compositions stuck.

edit to say that I do like Shadow Wilson on here, but that's about it

I wonder if there were some problems involved - the first session of the Thad Jones and the first Kenny Burrell Blue Note were held on consecutive days, but I didn't find any mention of this in the liner notes of the Mosaic set. Looks like one of the dates (the Jones one) wasn't very successful and the material re-recorded at a later date with slightly different personnel.

There was a later Blue Note date of Jones and Burrell where only a duo of both was usable.

Maybe Jones was a perfectionist with his arrangements?

The Thad Jones session, on the other hand, bores me to tears. I'll probably be selling this one.

That seems to be my memory of that disc as well.

Having said that, and now that I'm listening to clips again, I forgot (or never realized) that Billy Mitchell is on here. I really dig Mitchell, so maybe this one's worth hearing again.

The Thad Jones session, on the other hand, bores me to tears. I'll probably be selling this one.

That seems to be my memory of that disc as well.

Having said that, and now that I'm listening to clips again, I forgot (or never realized) that Billy Mitchell is on here. I really dig Mitchell, so maybe this one's worth hearing again.

I like Billy Mitchell too. Didn't realise he was on this. Hm, maybe.

MG

I don't really get it that so many of you despise that Thad Jones album! I have the Mosaic and like all of it, although the second one with Mitchell is probably better and my favourite likely is the United Artists album with Al Grey added. Anyway, his three BNs have a freshness and a modest way of being just slightly more interesting than the usual hardbop stuff on BN. Thad is just a bit too sophisticated for run of the mill stuff, and I like that a lot.

As for the others, I have all of them as part of some boxes (Dexter, Hill, Byrd) or in older editions (Mac & AT). Not sure I need to upgrade/replace any of them, maybe the AT? THat's a fine one in my opinion, probably one of the least known BN albums?

I don't really get it that so many of you despise that Thad Jones album! ..... Anyway, his three BNs have a freshness and a modest way of being just slightly more interesting than the usual hardbop stuff on BN. Thad is just a bit too sophisticated for run of the mill stuff, and I like that a lot.

Just my thoughts!

I don't really get it that so many of you despise that Thad Jones album! ..... Anyway, his three BNs have a freshness and a modest way of being just slightly more interesting than the usual hardbop stuff on BN. Thad is just a bit too sophisticated for run of the mill stuff, and I like that a lot.

Just my thoughts!

Seconded !

I preordered Compulsion from cduniverse. It supposedly shipped 3/19. Haven't gotten it. Have received one of the "Keepnews" series cds that was shipped 3/26. Something has gone amiss! I've emailed customer service. . . . The Mary Lou Williams that also supposedly shipped 3/19 is not here.

I preordered Compulsion from cduniverse. It supposedly shipped 3/19. Haven't gotten it. Have received one of the "Keepnews" series cds that was shipped 3/26. Something has gone amiss! I've emailed customer service. . . . The Mary Lou Williams that also supposedly shipped 3/19 is not here.

I got two items CD Universe shipped on 20 March on 28 March. So there really looks like a problem with yours, Lon.

MG

Just got Clubhouse. For some reason (maybe because it went unreleased for years) I thought it might be substandard, but it sounds fine to me. As long as you don't expect it to be on a par with Go, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Finally ordered the Thad Jones, Art Taylor and Andrew Hill discs. I've had the Hill as mp3s for quite some time, good to see it finally released individually. Never heard the other two but they sound interesting. Also ordered Horace Silver's In Pursuit of the 27th Man, thus completing my collection of European RVGs without copy protection (I'll probably order the remaining ~20 from CD Universe next month).

I like the Thad Jones too.

The most interesting sets for me have been two that I already had in other formats: the McLean and the Hill. I find the Hill to be much more powerful on its own than mixed into the Mosaic set - it's really a stunning set. The McLean is an interesting one for me because I hadn't listened to my previous version in two or three years because Ornette's trumpet playing initially bugged me. Now I'm not so sure what I didn't like about it. First off, he's obviously not a great trumpet player, but he actually isn't all *that* bad. Moreover, there is what I hear as a smart humor to his playing that I really like. It's a much better record than I remembered it being.

Is it too early to start wondering if we'll see another batch in Sept/Oct? :)