March 20, 2007 RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of Dexter Gordon's "Clubhouse." Is that a Blue Note unreleased session or something?

LT 989 Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse

Freddie Hubbard (tp -1/3,5,6) Dexter Gordon (ts) Barry Harris (p) Bob Cranshaw (b -1,3/6) Ben Tucker (b -2) Billy Higgins (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 27, 1965

1. 1586 tk.3 Hanky Panky

2. 1587 tk.5 Devilette

3. 1588 tk.7 Clubhouse

4. 1589 tk.14 Jodi

5. 1590 tk.17 I'm a Fool to Want You

6. 1591 tk.22 Lady Iris B

** reissue of Blue Note (J) GXF 3055.

I actually think that Clubhouse is one of Dex's best Blue Note efforts. I think it was recorded the same week as Gettin' Around, but it has a lot more fire IMO than the session with Hutcherson (which I also like).

The original 80's CD version, with the cool (and original) Japanese cover, has some awful distortion on it — the very same problem the original version of The Soothsayer had. I hope, for this new remaster, that problem was addressed. (I've never heard the Dex box set.) I'm guessing the distortion wasn't in the original tapes, but of course I could be wrong.

At any rate, I'm in for the Dex and Hill. Too bad CDU bumped their prices up.

I actually think that Clubhouse is one of Dex's best Blue Note efforts. I think it was recorded the same week as Gettin' Around, but it has a lot more fire IMO than the session with Hutcherson (which I also like).

The original 80's CD version, with the cool (and original) Japanese cover, has some awful distortion on it — the very same problem the original version of The Soothsayer had. I hope, for this new remaster, that problem was addressed. (I've never heard the Dex box set.) I'm guessing the distortion wasn't in the original tapes, but of course I could be wrong.

At any rate, I'm in for the Dex and Hill. Too bad CDU bumped their prices up.

Hate to fight with Late. Clubhouse was left in the can for a reason. BN stretched the envelope enough with Gettin' Around. These are the two weakest Dexter/BN dates in my estimation.

Hate to fight with Late. Clubhouse was left in the can for a reason. BN stretched the envelope enough with Gettin' Around. These are the two weakest Dexter/BN dates in my estimation.

Chuck, you usually take it easy on me — so, no worries. :D

I find Gettin' Around "pleasant," but I do quite like Clubhouse. The modal title track has a superior Dex solo, and the ballad "I'm a Fool to Want You," as Lon mentioned, is a heartbreaker. These are the best two tracks, in my opinion. Hubbard doesn't do much for me on this session, but that's allright. When you have a chance — and not that I really think I'll change your mind — give Dex's solo on "Clubhouse" another spin. There's some intensity there worth listening to.

I'll go for the Hill for sure. The rest I have (other than the Dexter) on CD in some form or another. I'm not compelled to upgrade any although the McLean sounded quite rough and harsh to my ears in its last CD incarnation. I'll be interested if this new edition represents a substantial sonic upgrade.

Landslide is the Dex I've never seen on CD.

Only the title track was added as a bonus track to the respective session. The remaining six tracks are not enough to fill a CD and are not very inspired - IIRC the first of the two was supposed to have Leo Parker on it who suffered a heart attack shortly before the date. That looms over that session. Only when they recorded "Go" and "A Swingin' Affair" Dex had gotten over this and was playing in fine form again.

I find it completely okay that this was reissued only in the box set.

Edited by mikeweil

I have "Clubhouse" on CD, too. This and "Getting around" have a lot of Dave Bailey & Rudy Stevenson material that I like.

However, I haven't noticed the distortion. Will it hurt if you tell me where to look for it? (Hurt my pocket, that is, if I find I have to spring for an RVG.)

MG