March 20, 2007 RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in europe this batch is already out.

just bought 3 cd's, oa Thad Jones, here in Amsterdam at "Concerto",

but discovered at home they put the TOCJ in it...

weird...

sounds like you bought one of those Spanish TimeLife Blue Notes which are on sale at the moment (easy way to check: if your cover is blue instead of yellowish this is the case) some of those are TOCJ (got Grant Green's Talkin About TOCJ this way yesterday) (but not all of these are TOCJs)

previous thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1180

The McLean session is fantastic, I think (and I don't even like Ornette normally, and ya can't make me!). It's an honest, enjoyable session. Tells a story, as they say. Sure, Ornette didn't usually play the trumpet, but I like it, especially with the mute. Al Lion was very pleased with the date, too.

The TOCJ of this sounds fine, so I won't be getting the new CD.

weird...

sounds like you bought one of those Spanish TimeLife Blue Notes which are on sale at the moment (easy way to check: if your cover is blue instead of yellowish this is the case) some of those are TOCJ (got Grant Green's Talkin About TOCJ this way yesterday) (but not all of these are TOCJs)

previous thread:

thanks for the tip!

weird...

previous thread:

thanks for the tip!

mine is yellow, think they just put the wrong cd in the jewelbox, in the recordstore.

(jewelcases and cd's are ofter kept apart in some stores, overhere)

think I''ll go back and let them change it, some other person might expect a Japanes one, and is getting another one, too

JB

I wanted to say one more thing and perhaps pose a question about Compulsion. I notice that on 3 of the 4 tracks the end is rather abruptly faded out when the band was clearly not intending to end the piece.

I know that this release comes from the vinyl era, so does that indicate that the producer cut the track to fit on the LP or does this indicate that the producer felt the track wasn't going anywhere and made a decision to end it by fading out?

I was VERY pleased with the Jackie McLean session. Having never heard it before, I had a feeling it would be very good, but its GREAT!

The Thad Jones session, on the other hand, bores me to tears. I'll probably be selling this one.

The Thad Jones session, on the other hand, bores me to tears. I'll probably be selling this one.

That seems to be my memory of that disc as well.

Mine as well. I didn't bother to repurchase this cd.

Wow, I actually enjoy this side! I love Thad's writing, arranging and playing and the way they all connect to reflect his musical personality. To each his own! :)

Edited by Free For All

Thad is one of my favorite trumpet players, and I was excited to hear this side as I had never heard it before. But to my ears, everyone sounds like they are on auto-pilot, and not one of the compositions stuck.

edit to say that I do like Shadow Wilson on here, but that's about it

Edited by sal