March 20, 2007 RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Clubhouse - one of my favorite BN Dexter's. Some of it has a very greeezy feel. Freddie is spirited. And "Devilette" is just wonderful - a great tune. This album should have been released, and Gettin' Around (a listless date) should have stayed in the can.

However, I haven't noticed the distortion. Will it hurt if you tell me where to look for it? (Hurt my pocket, that is, if I find I have to spring for an RVG.)

MG

I'll give it a spin tomorrow. As I recall (on the 1990 reissue), the distortion, or whatever it is, is only present two or three times on the disc. It sounds similar to the bell of a horn coming too close to the mike — a rattling, overblowing sound. I actually thought that this was the case, but when The Soothsayer, which had the same problem, was "fixed" back in 1998 (— the first reissue was 1990, I believe), it made me think that the same problem might be fixable on Clubhouse. The 1990 Clubhouse reissue also happens to be on the quiet/flat side (to my ears), so perhaps Rudy's amp-it-up treatment might actually be an improvement.

I hope they keep the original Toshiba cover! (For some reason, I don't think Blue Note will. They didn't, at least, for Oblique.)

I'll be getting the Andrew Hill and Art Taylor discs for sure. Still undecided whether to sell my Byrd/Adams Mosaic set and go for the individual albums or not. I have the McLean and Gordon albums on CD and will probably not upgrade them. Nice batch though, especially since that Clubhouse CD wasn't that easy to find for a decent price.

Edited by Kyo

Still undecided whether to sell my Byrd/Adams Mosaic set and go for the individual albums or not.

I've thought about this too. But if I'm not mistaken, there is some material on the Mosaic that is not available elsewhere on CD- the "Chant" session.

As well as The Creeper session. Or did that see Japanese release?

I've thought about this too. But if I'm not mistaken, there is some material on the Mosaic that is not available elsewhere on CD- the "Chant" session.

As well as The Creeper session. Or did that see Japanese release?

You are both correct. I just fear that both of those will be released

individually soon, thus reducing the value of the mosaic set.

The word "Delight" is very interesting. Why do so many Blue Note album titles or song titles include the word "Delight"? Is this something that jazz musicians would typically used in a title? Are there sessions on labels other than BN that used "Delight"? Or was this an Alfred Lion specialty?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The date is really coming up now... Can you feel the excitement?

The 20th is here. Anyone already picked up the newest batch? I admit: I'm excited about picking up Compulsion!, even though I already have the music.

Will probably pick up the Byrd, too. "Say You're Mine" is such a beautiful piece of music.

The date is really coming up now... Can you feel the excitement?

The 20th is here. Anyone already picked up the newest batch? I admit: I'm excited about picking up Compulsion!, even though I already have the music.

Will probably pick up the Byrd, too. "Say You're Mine" is such a beautiful piece of music.

Those are the two I am looking forward to.... Have the others in one format or the other.