June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

Just ordered all five from ImportCDs com for about 13 Euro per disc (incl. shipping).

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but so far three of those orders were

cancelled by the seller because the item was not available. Weird...

In the end four of those five orders were cancelled. I did get the Kenny Cox disc today, though. Weird!

At least I did get the disc that was my No. 1 priority. Just listening to this music for the first time - AWESOME!

Edited by Kyo

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the reason there are only five Connoisseurs this time is because the sixth title was supposed to be Louis Smith's Smithville, with the previously unissued extra tracks, but some kind of issue arose.

Just speculatin'.

That's right actually. When they realized that Smithville is the name of a city just like Basra, they withdrew it, so as not to offend anyone.

Well, that was a smart move. I don't know about others here, but I'm personally offended by the use of "Smithville." I wish Alfred Lion & Co. would have had the decency/foresight to think of these things ...

(Also glad to have the TOCJ.)

just grabbed "change". i like "compulsion" a lot more.

most of the tracks are good but the longest ("violence") has that sort of floating aimlessness formlessness which i dislike in hill compositions. i think tbe rest of the team (rivers/booker/moses) doesn't exactly help keep things more together either though this is the kind of blue note sessions which still interests me-not a standard cast of characters and it is always nice to hear jc moses on the drums. not a bad track, "violence"-just seems like kind of aimless blowing.

the other tracks are better...but not one of my favorite hill sessions after a few listens. maybe it will grow on me.

i

I agree with that. This was always my least played session from the Mosaic, too. It just doesn't hang together very well, at least not to my ears.

Picked up Change last night, and I really like it. Its kinda neat to hear Walter Booker in a more free-ish setting (especially on track one) then say on Mobley's Third Season (where I remember him best). JC Moses is a favorite (love his contribution on Dolphy's Ill. Concert). And I think Sam and Andrew mesh well. I'm also a huge fan of Compulsion!! and if I had to choose, Compulsion would get the nod, but not by much. I really want to get the Foster next. Anyone pick that one up yet?

Also picked up CHANGE, but my impressions are more positive. I see it as a more stripped-down extension of the sounds he was beginning to explore with COMPULSION. For the most part, it gets the abrasive/calm balance just right for my tastes (having Sam Rivers sit out a couple of tracks may have added to this). However, ever since listening to CHANGE, I have found myself wishing that more bass solos had harpsicord backing.

Edited by freeform83

Just spun Changes again today, and I'm liking it more and more. :tup:tup:tup This is a very worthy and valuable release. I think the title's appropriate because it reminds me of Compulsion!!!!! on the one hand, and a subtle hint towards Grass Roots on the other hand. Nice balance. I really like Sam Rivers on this one. A word too, for Booker and Moses. I think they do an outstanding job backing Hill, which is no easy task.

No one's picked up the Foster huh?

conn says his fav new conn is the kenny cox cd

Yes, and the whole damned batch is good. I bought all of the new Conns and think it's a terrific set of issues.

My fav. is probably the Kenny Cox. The Frank Foster is definitely worth owning. Happy enough with the Hill and the JOS. Haven't yet listened to Stanley, and that's because I already know in advance I'll like it! :wub:

Stanley can't go wrong in my book.

SS1 says I should go pick up the Max Roach Mosaic. I've already spent all my money on these Conns!

Edited by connoisseur series500

Guest donald petersen

hhmmm...i liked compulsion much more on my first listens of both.

in fact, i would probably say compulsion sounds like a top 3 andrew hill session to my ears.

in fact, i would probably say compulsion sounds like a top 3 andrew hill session to my ears.

I agree with that. I don't think Change was a bad session, but it is not one of my favorite Hill dates. To my ears, the band just didn't gel on that one. Compulsion is a masterpiece in my book.

I agree with that. I don't think Change was a bad session, but it is not one of my favorite Hill dates. To my ears, the band just didn't gel on that one. Compulsion is a masterpiece in my book.

You can be sure I'll keep listening to both.

Compulsion!!! and Change are just such great sessions! I'm just so glad that they've both been released in the same year! Change, for me, like Dance with Death, needs to be listened to more than once, but upon each listen it becomes clear that we are listening to really unique contributions to jazz. Great great stuff.

p.s. Glad to see a nudge for the Foster. I think that Man. Fever will be the sleeper of the bunch. :tup

Branches of the majors on different continents are entirely independent in their release schedules - Universal Europe or EMI Europe often have later release dates.

They're not smart in doing so, as they could imagine the diehard fans will not wait and get them from online retailers abroad and lessen their sales numbers, which are small enough with items like these.

Prices for the new batch are down to €7.89 at plattenladen.com, but they too give a September 14th release date. WTF?! :blink:

I read at plattenladen.com:

"low cost delivery: worldwide for only £1.35, with orders over £13.50 delivery free"

that sounds interesting, you have any experience with this store, Kyo?

here in Amsterdam, we don't have the luxury of a cheap store, without shipping costs,

as I read a lot about in stories of US contributors....

JB

Prices for the new batch are down to €7.89 at plattenladen.com, but they too give a September 14th release date. WTF?! :blink:

I read at plattenladen.com:

"low cost delivery: worldwide for only £1.35, with orders over £13.50 delivery free"

that sounds interesting, you have any experience with this store, Kyo?

here in Amsterdam, we don't have the luxury of a cheap store, without shipping costs,

as I read a lot about in stories of US contributors....

JB

This looks interesting to me, too.

MG