June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonny Criss Complete Imperial Sessions is another double-conn (should i get it? :) )

The music is good, but the sound isn't - Criss' alto does sound very shrill indeed, worse than usual. But these recordings were not very good in the first place...

Picked up the Jimmy Smith. Have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Seemed like a session that isn't going anywhere in particular. Jimmy's really lackluster. His plays Swanee and just cuts it off after 2:27! The sound of his organ and the songs makes me think the record date on this is wrong...to my ears this sounds more in line with stuff he was doing in 1958. I don't know if that's possible or not. That this was recorded post Chicken Shack/Midnight Special seems impossible. The sound and direction don't sound at all what Smith was doing in 61.

Sonny Criss Complete Imperial Sessions is another double-conn (should i get it? :) )

The music is good, but the sound isn't - Criss' alto does sound very shrill indeed, worse than usual. But these recordings were not very good in the first place...

Agreed, even I find these hard work to listen to.

oh man, sorry to hear you are underwhelmed. Still getting a copy for my birthday though in a few weeks. Like I asked you in the soundclip thread, what drawbar setting was that on "Minor Fare"? I agree that the sound and everything sounds more like JOS in the late 50's, but I will be looking forward to hearing the session. Nevermind, just listened to the clips again, Jimmy's just using octaves.

Edited by CJ Shearn

BTW, was the Complete 'IS' Sessions the only CONN that was a double-disc??

No.

Guy

There was the Byrd/Watkins Transition sessions, the Don Wilkerson, the Kenny Burrell, the Sonny Criss Imperial sessions, as well as others I'm forgetting I'm sure. The 2-disc Mulligan/Baker Quartet, I think that might have been a Conn. ...Or it might have been a double West Coast Jazz, now that I think of it.

The Borders store I tried last nite only had one copy of the Hill which I'm not getting as I've got the Mosaic, but the others?

No copies of any of 'em, at any of the stores in Colorado!!!

Geez...

That's cool...I'll buy 'em at the mom 'n pop shop I like better...

Serves me right for going in there... :beee:

Just ordered all five from ImportCDs com for about 13 Euro per disc (incl. shipping).

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but so far three of those orders were

cancelled by the seller because the item was not available. Weird...

Just ordered all five from ImportCDs com for about 13 Euro per disc (incl. shipping).

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but so far three of those orders were

cancelled by the seller because the item was not available. Weird...

I ordered a non-jazz CD from them that was supposed to come out on June 5, and I got the same message. They refunded my pre-payment immediately, so there's no problem there, but still...

Is it me or is this batch kind of a bummer? Aside from the Hill, from what I've heard in sound clips they just seem unremarkable, which is odd for this series, which normally puts out really good stuff for the most part.

Is it me or is this batch kind of a bummer? Aside from the Hill, from what I've heard in sound clips they just seem unremarkable, which is odd for this series, which normally puts out really good stuff for the most part.

Initially, I thought this batch was a bit disappointing, but after listening (I picked up all 5), I have to disagree. For me, the only one that leaves me a little cold is the first half of the Frank Foster. It's not bad, per se, but it's a little on the boring side (and I don't really dig the way Marvin Stamm plays). The second half (the unreleased stuff) is much more interesting.

Well, I have the Cox and the Turrentine (issued part) on vinyl and I LIKE them. Music that I enjoy hearing; I've got these cds (and the Hill, I have the Mosaic but have bought all the separate releases too, wish this was an RVG instead, but oh well) on the way to me via cduniverse.

Edited by jazzbo

Checking out the sound clips, I thought the Frank Foster and the Turrentine sounded decent to very good; since I have 1/2 of each of these, I'll have to put these on the list. The others don't especially float my boat (the Hill) don't offer anything new (the Cox) and got a bad review from SS, which is good enough for me (the Smith). :P

bums me out when soul stream gives a bad cd review

:(

Sorry...!

There are a couple of really nice tracks on the Smith CD. The title track "Straight Life" and "Minor Fare." Two Jimmy originals that are very nice. My suggestion would be to iTunes those two tracks for a buck a piece and forgetta 'bout it! :D

I find this release to be very close to "Six Views Of The Blues." In both style and substance. I can see why they were never released. Just kind of Jimmy doing his thing without a lot of anything else going on. Certainly when you compare it to the sessions of the same era like "Crazy Baby" and "Chicken Shack". However, there is no bad Jimmy! I'm glad they did release this, so buying it would at least tell Blue Note that we want unreleased sessions and support the cause. But unless you've got to have it all (like me)...you can take a break on this one.

There is some very obvious irony in the fact that some of us seem disparaging of some of the previously-unreleased BN recordings that Lion didn't see fit to release in the first place. :w

I love to buy the unreleased stuff too - and I'll be getting most of these - but we should probably have lowered expectations for some of these.

I'm just sayin'...

The Borders store I tried last nite only had one copy of the Hill which I'm not getting as I've got the Mosaic, but the others?

No copies of any of 'em, at any of the stores in Colorado!!!

Geez...

That's cool...I'll buy 'em at the mom 'n pop shop I like better...

Serves me right for going in there... :beee:

Wow. My local Amoeba had all of them on day of release. I guess there's a reason to live in this town after all...