June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound samples available for the Kenny Cox here.

The Turrentine, here.

The Foster, here.

These are going to be expensive, but they do sound good!

Thanks for the links, Late.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I've just listened to the Turrentine samples and the music sounds like late-night soft jazz to me. Not one of Turrentine's better efforts, at least not to my ears. Pity.

I hope people move on the Kenny Cox. That is some good shit.

Sounds good, the best of the three Late posted samples of.

I guess I could have linked sound samples for the other two Conn's, but there's a separate post for the Smith, and I'm guessing most have already heard the Hill. I have the Hill in the Mosaic, but I'm still ordering it!

Come to think of it, it'll be interesting to see if more Hill Mosaics show up on eBay after Change hits the market. The entire box has now seen individual CD reissue light. Andrew must be smiling from wherever he is now ...

For those who haven't heard Change, you're in for a treat! It's actually my favorite session from the Mosaic.

big al,my copy of the kenny cox cd better have 12 tracks,or i'm a gonna be pissed off!

to j.a.w.,i actually liked the turrentine tracks. will be picking up all five cd's.

other than wait for a your music release(may never come),has anyone seen a better price than deep discount,$13.79 + free shipping.

The prices for the new Conn batch are unusually high at

plattenladen.com - €16,29 instead of the usual €14,09. :(

Guess I'll wait until Zweitausendeins offers those albums.

I've pre-ordered the Cox from CDUniverse for $14.04 (about €10.40).

Edited by J.A.W.

Sound samples available for the Kenny Cox here.

The Turrentine, here.

The Foster, here.

These are going to be expensive, but they do sound good!

Strangely enough, those links don't work any more and have been changed to the following:

Turrentine

Cox

Foster (and this time, all twelve tracks are listed)

I just hope Borders is still doing their buy-3-get-the-4th-free deal by next Tuesday! I'll probably regret it if they ever hit BMG, but these sound really good! Good enough to get on release date, that's for sure!

I don't want to offend anyone, but I've just listened to the Turrentine samples and the music sounds like late-night soft jazz to me. Not one of Turrentine's better efforts, at least not to my ears. Pity.

Hans, the Feb 67 session is not soft jazz. I have it on LP and really enjoy it. Stanley digs in quite a lot, and you can even hear the drummer urging him on at one point. The Jobim tracks are wonderful, and "Night Song" is a stunning performance and arrangement - the highlight of the session for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing the unissued session, too.

Hans, the Feb 67 session is not soft jazz.

I said it sounds like soft jazz to me. It still does.

Hans, the Feb 67 session is not soft jazz. I have it on LP and really enjoy it. Stanley digs in quite a lot, and you can even hear the drummer urging him on at one point. The Jobim tracks are wonderful, and "Night Song" is a stunning performance and arrangement - the highlight of the session for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing the unissued session, too.

I like it too. It is a bit "smooth" in a bossanovan way but that's fine with me.

From the clips, I'm thinking that the Frank Foster is pretty good. Have to put that on the "list".

I like it. It tends to get 'panned' quite a bit around these parts and there's nothing earth-shattering on there but this is a good, swinging Liberty-era Blue Note set. Of course, Foster remains a very under-rated man on the tenor.

The cost of the Connoisseurs has gone up all over. Up here in Canada our wholesaler (I work at a record store on the weekends) used to have them cost $17.48 Canadian per disc. Now they've bumped them up to $19.00 a disc and with our currency now worth .94 cents to the american I'd say we're getting hosed up here. Work out to the equivalent of $17.46 american cost per disc.

Keep in mind that this is at cost, before there is any store markup. I checked with some other retailers up here and this seems to be the standard cost across the board. Amazon.ca is seliing the cd's for $20.99, with our cost at $19.00 it's getting impossible for a little independent music store to compete. And the record companies wonder why sales are down and downloading is up.

Could be worse though my wholesaler lists the cost of Lee Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse at $45 canadian.

Todd

From the clips, I'm thinking that the Frank Foster is pretty good. Have to put that on the "list".

I like it. It tends to get 'panned' quite a bit around these parts and there's nothing earth-shattering on there but this is a good, swinging Liberty-era Blue Note set. Of course, Foster remains a very under-rated man on the tenor.

I REALLY wanted to like "Manhattan fever". I bought it when it came out, flogged it and bought it again a couple of years later. But I just couldn't get with it.

Anyway, Frank had a good enough contribution from me.

MG

Just ordered all five from ImportCDs com for about 13 Euro per disc (incl. shipping).

So there are just five(?) Conns this time, right?? (That's all I'm finding on-line.)

They've mostly come in batches of six in recent years (if I remember correctly), unless one of them was a double-disc (like Chick's "Complete 'IS' Sessions).

BTW, was the Complete 'IS' Sessions the only CONN that was a double-disc??

Edited by Rooster_Ties