June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some very obvious irony in the fact that some of us seem disparaging of some of the previously-unreleased BN recordings that Lion didn't see fit to release in the first place. :w

I love to buy the unreleased stuff too - and I'll be getting most of these - but we should probably have lowered expectations for some of these.

I'm just sayin'...

That's true. But there is a pretty wide swing on the quality of the unreleased material.

I noticed in the liners to Turrentine's A Bluish Bag that Cuscuna says, "The remaining two 1967 sessions with Pearson's chart will be the subject of a future release."

That's good news. I've been enjoying the recent ST releases, Joyride, The Spoiler and this latest one.

Well, the little mom 'n pop shop (Twist & Shout) didn't let me down. They had all of 'em, of which I bought the Cox, Foster, and Mr. T. $16.99/each.

So far, I've only listened to the first Kenny Cox session 1 and 1/2 times so far...(listening to the 2nd session now.)

HOLY SHIT!!! Is this a lost Miles mid-60's Quintet album?!?! These tracks sound like they could've been on E.S.P. or Miles Smiles. I think I really like this. This one certainly exceeded expectations, for me. And this Leon Henderson guy is actually Joe Henderson's brother? I had no idea.

And, on top of all this, the cd sounds freakin' fantastic. Not at all bright or harsh. Both horn players I think have a beautiful tone, especially Moore.

Oooh, yeah...diggin' this 2nd session too.

Very happy listener here. :cool:

I was just listening to some sound clips of Foster's Manhatten Fever and I have to say that this sounds like a real good one, especially that first track 'Little Miss No Nose.' I mean its nothing revolutionary, but it sort of sounds like 'The Sidewinder' meets 'Easterly Winds'- I think I'll be picking that one up! Already planning on getting the Hill. I don't own the Mosaic, so its new music for me. I probably will eventually pick up the Cox.

I noticed in the liners to Turrentine's A Bluish Bag that Cuscuna says, "The remaining two 1967 sessions with Pearson's chart will be the subject of a future release."

That's good news. I've been enjoying the recent ST releases, Joyride, The Spoiler and this latest one.

That is good news! I like those sessions.

bums me out when soul stream gives a bad cd review

:(

Sorry...!

There are a couple of really nice tracks on the Smith CD. The title track "Straight Life" and "Minor Fare." Two Jimmy originals that are very nice. My suggestion would be to iTunes those two tracks for a buck a piece and forgetta 'bout it! :D

I find this release to be very close to "Six Views Of The Blues." In both style and substance. I can see why they were never released. Just kind of Jimmy doing his thing without a lot of anything else going on. Certainly when you compare it to the sessions of the same era like "Crazy Baby" and "Chicken Shack". However, there is no bad Jimmy! I'm glad they did release this, so buying it would at least tell Blue Note that we want unreleased sessions and support the cause. But unless you've got to have it all (like me)...you can take a break on this one.

Six Views I kept only for Cecil Payne - not an inspiring match, as it turned out. If the new one is close to this I may skip it - will listen once it is in the shops.

I picked up JOS, "Straight Life" today and it sounds fine. I've only listened to 1/2 of the cd, but it's a keeper in my book. I'm really surprised at Soul Stream's negative review. Normally he gives high ratings for just about everything, but there was no need to pan this cd. I'm happy with it.

I picked up JOS, "Straight Life" today and it sounds fine. I've only listened to 1/2 of the cd, but it's a keeper in my book. I'm really surprised at Soul Stream's negative review. Normally he gives high ratings for just about everything, but there was no need to pan this cd. I'm happy with it.

Hey, just my opinion. No big deal. I'm glad ya'll really like it. I'm glad it's out too.

Guest donald petersen

just grabbed "change". i like "compulsion" a lot more.

most of the tracks are good but the longest ("violence") has that sort of floating aimlessness formlessness which i dislike in hill compositions. i think tbe rest of the team (rivers/booker/moses) doesn't exactly help keep things more together either though this is the kind of blue note sessions which still interests me-not a standard cast of characters and it is always nice to hear jc moses on the drums. not a bad track, "violence"-just seems like kind of aimless blowing.

the other tracks are better...but not one of my favorite hill sessions after a few listens. maybe it will grow on me.

i

Listened to the Turrentine today. A little sleepy at times, but I like it overall.

One thing, though — if someone had put it on without me reading the notes, and then said: "This was remastered by a Toshiba engineer," I would have believed them (if I didn't already know it was a Connoisseur). On my system, I don't hear the "signature" trebliness that's usually associated with McMaster. Nicely done here.

just grabbed "change". i like "compulsion" a lot more.

most of the tracks are good but the longest ("violence") has that sort of floating aimlessness formlessness which i dislike in hill compositions. i think tbe rest of the team (rivers/booker/moses) doesn't exactly help keep things more together either though this is the kind of blue note sessions which still interests me-not a standard cast of characters and it is always nice to hear jc moses on the drums. not a bad track, "violence"-just seems like kind of aimless blowing.

the other tracks are better...but not one of my favorite hill sessions after a few listens. maybe it will grow on me.

i

I agree with that. This was always my least played session from the Mosaic, too. It just doesn't hang together very well, at least not to my ears.

chewy,

since no one else has answered, I'll give you the quick and dirty - the're partially unissued, just like the two on the new CD. Perhaps someone can post the details or you could google "bluenote discography" and find it. I was hoping for the next Turrentine to be 3 sessions, including the "Love is Blue" 45 session that is also partially unissued. Maybe I'll look it all up and repost later...haven't bought the new ST, but I will shortly 'cause I dig the stuff that has been previously issued and am a sucker for unissued BN of any sort.

Dana

Edited by danasgoodstuff