Other John Patton discs ?

Unlike the Jimmy Smith stylists, I never get bored of his style. Not flashy. Kind of meandering, thinking out loud, but in a nice spontaneous way. He's unique cos he's quite introspective without being afraid to get down and dirty - makes the groove much more interesting.

I think that's one of the most insightful statements I've every heard about Patton. You really nailed it in two sentences.

Agree, well put!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm a bad guy.

I just did a search and found 7 topics/threads by typing in Patton.

Anyone here like the Blue Note label or Andrew Hill?

Is there some arcane courtesy demanding we go back to "point one" every time a new member asks a question?

New people are our "lifeblood" but they should be smart enough to know that an existing bb called Organissimo might have covered this subject of John Patton.

I recently bought a new car and (after being on a list for my previous machine) entered the world of Mazda owners. I would never think of jumping in with my first question without some research.

I see that we already have "Forum Rules" and a general help section that covers the technical aspects -- how to post, use of control panel, etc.

Maybe we should also have a "New Users: Read this First!" page that could cover some of these issues that seem to come up frequently?

This really seems to be a Forum Netiquette problem, and I do agree with Chuck that it is not unreasonable to expect people to use the search function.

But, being that this board presumably draws people with widely different levels of computer/internet experience, it might make sense to consider this addition.

I see that we already have "Forum Rules" and a general help section that covers the technical aspects -- how to post, use of control panel, etc.

Maybe we should also have a "New Users: Read this First!" page that could cover some of these issues that seem to come up frequently?

This really seems to be a Forum Netiquette problem, and I do agree with Chuck that it is not unreasonable to expect people to use the search function.

But, being that this board presumably draws people with widely different levels of computer/internet experience, it might make sense to consider this addition.

I don't think that anyone disagrees with Chuck's point. It's just that if we need a better system to explain the rules to new comers, whlst wating for that system to be put in place, we should be a bit more accommodating rather than implying that they're lacking in the "smart" department.

It might be useful for people here, on some kind of rotating basis (so it isn’t always the same people), to respond to inquiries like this (from new people) by performing the search themselves -- on behalf of the newbie, and them posting links to the top two or maybe three threads that match the requested criteria.

You have to admit, Just saying "hey dummy, why not try doing a search first" is a little off-putting -- especially with a search function that has KNOWN issues (known to all of us regulars, anyway).

You have to admit, Just saying "hey dummy, why not try doing a search first" is a little off-putting -- especially with a search function that has KNOWN issues (known to all of us regulars, anyway).

AND who did that? I never said anything like "hey dummy".

As I explained, entering Patton in the search function brings up a bunch of stuff. Not that tough.

This is an "organcentric" group and John Patton HAD to be discussed earlier.

I use the "search function" a bunch and the number of threads needed to be read bugs me.

Recently I've been searching for comments about Braxton's "Standards" recordings and it takes hours to sort this out.

AND who did that? I never said anything like "hey dummy".

As I explained, entering Patton in the search function brings up a bunch of stuff. Not that tough.

This is an "organcentric" group and John Patton HAD to be discussed earlier.

I use the "search function" a bunch and the number of threads needed to be read bugs me.

Recently I've been searching for comments about Braxton's "Standards" recordings and it takes hours to sort this out.

I agree with this, and don't understand the folks that argue when you suggest people use the search function and add to existing discussions, rather than creating yet another thread.

When it happens once or twice, it's not that big a deal, but after a while it does become very difficult when you're looking for some specific information and there are almost more threads than it's worth sifting through.

PS - great post, Mark! Now we have official word from "on high". :P

When I did an Amazon.com search to see what Patton discs were still in print, I was horrified to see that all but Along Came John, Let Em Roll and Got A Good Thing Going are unavailable. There was a time in the mid-nineties when they had quite a few titles out there....Accent On The Blues, Boogaloo, Understanding, Memphis To New York Spirit. Of course there's the select, but...

I wish they would RVG a Patton title and get some more things out there. It's criminal to think they haven't done at least one of his titles in the RVG series.

Actually I found this BB by accident when doing a Google search on 'Got a Good Thing Goin' and 'Let Em Roll', which led me to the album of the week threads. Before that I would've found it hard to believe 'anybody' would have loved or listened to those sessions more than me. Well if not more then certainly as much.

When I've got the time and money to begin my investigations into the recorded legacy of Don Patterson, I'll make sure to use the search engine here first.

Well while this thread is up here's a question I've been wanting to ask the BJP fraternity on the board.

I remember not to long ago reading a blindfold test with Charlie Hunter where he was played Footprints off 'Memphis to New York Spirit'. Hunter responded positively to Patton's and Blood's playing but stated that he thought Leroy Williams was seriously undermining the overall quality of the performance. This being another one of my favourite sessions, I have to say that until reading this Blindfold Test I never had any reservations about Williams contributions to this session, or any other of his appearances with Patton. Hunter even went so far as to question whether Williams was a 'friend of Patton's from New Jersey', or something like that. Well the drumming on these sessions never hit me in the face like, say, Hugh Walker or Candy Finch, but nor did I find it anyway substandard. Did the drumming on these discs ever bother anybody else?

BTW I noticed recently that Leroy Williams went on to play with Andrew Hill!!!

[

I agree with this, and don't understand the folks that argue when you suggest people use the search function and add to existing discussions, rather than creating yet another thread.

When it happens once or twice, it's not that big a deal, but after a while it does become very difficult when you're looking for some specific information and there are almost more threads than it's worth sifting through.

Agreed, for me at least, the search function generally works fine.

Well while this thread is up here's a question I've been wanting to ask the BJP fraternity on the board.

I remember not to long ago reading a blindfold test with Charlie Hunter where he was played Footprints off 'Memphis to New York Spirit'. Hunter responded positively to Patton's and Blood's playing but stated that he thought Leroy Williams was seriously undermining the overall quality of the performance. This being another one of my favourite sessions, I have to say that until reading this Blindfold Test I never had any reservations about Williams contributions to this session, or any other of his appearances with Patton. Hunter even went so far as to question whether Williams was a 'friend of Patton's from New Jersey', or something like that. Well the drumming on these sessions never hit me in the face like, say, Hugh Walker or Candy Finch, but nor did I find it anyway substandard. Did the drumming on these discs ever bother anybody else?

BTW I noticed recently that Leroy Williams went on to play with Andrew Hill!!!

Leroy Williams had what might be called a "wider beat" than many other drummers Patton played with at the time. But to say he was undermining the session is a misread, miscalculation and misinformed. On the contrary, he's adding a lot of musicality to the proceedings. To suggest John would have done a Blue Note session with an unqualified friend (especially a drummer) is a joke. Charlie Hunter doesn't know what he's talking about. If Hunter wants four on the floor with his funk/jazz, that's fine. Just don't expect it from John Patton. Leroy Williams doesn't describe himself as a typical organ drummer, or John a typical organist. As Leroy said..."We were just loose and free and young an happy. That was a special period in my life, It was a beautiful time." Leroy spent 4 or 5 years with John Patton. They were very, very compatable musically. Hunter's just a goof.

Shame if we lose another BJP fan becasue of an oversight

Welcome aboard if you are still here

Been trying to get a blog/web thing just for BJP started up but getting slower at making it work.

Any help anyone?

Need more info/insight /opinion etc

I think we could have perhaps handled this one a 'little' better ...ie HI no problem here are some links , you can find more info clicing here for a search for any artist

Never mind dmaage done I suspect

John Patton music is far too important to some of us to let this stand in the way

• 2 weeks later...