when did Mobley finally get off the junk? how long was hank in prison

inspired by the recent in depth report on chicago era le sun'r ra, chewy wishes to understand...:

i think he got busted once in the late 50s, but it wasn't as trumped up a charge and others got (gene ammons, et al), and then in the 60s as we have read he was in jail circa the time he wrote a slice of the top, one of his most accomplished statements as an artist

anyways when did hank finally get off the junk? and don't tell me none of that "hank was doping up even in the early 80s" BS, thats not the case im pretty sure

has anyone ever did a public records search for mobleys court records etc?? can u do that kind of stuff?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was drinking heavily, I think, well into the 1980's. If I remember correctly, it was discussed in a 'Night of the Blue Note DVD' like thread (I'm sorry for not posting a link, because I don't recall the exact title of the thread or where its at) and he showed up and sat in the audience completely ripped. It was my impression (again I could be wrong) that maybe he was there to play, but he was too trashed to perform.

Mobley was supposed to play at the Tin Palace in NYC at one point - as I heard, there were long lines but Mobley never showed - in one of Gerald Early's books he tells of lecturing a black co-worker on appreciating jazz as a part of African American heritage; a few weeks later the same co-worker comes in and says something like "hey, I just passed a representative of your great black heritage, Hank Mobley, lying in the gutter stoned."

I'm pretty sure that I saw and heard Mobley at The Tin Palace at some point in the '80s. He was in grim shape, could hardly get a sound out of the horn, and IIRC he either left the stand on his own or was ushered off by someone who was looking out for him. Could be that I'm mis-rembering this, and he didn't play at all, but I don't think so.

Allen Lowe what r u talking about? hank never was layin' in no gutter. hank but of had a hard time but he was never in a gutter

The last few years of his life he lived in West Philadelphia and was pretty close to destitute. Uri Cane once told me some pretty sad stories about Hank's drinking.

Allen Lowe what r u talking about? hank never was layin' in no gutter. hank but of had a hard time but he was never in a gutter

You do realize that he died on an Amtrak bench, homeless & penniless, right? Sleeping on a bench or sleeping in a gutter - not too far a stretch for a homeless broke.

BTW, according to Michael Cuscuna, Mobley's appearance at the 1985 concert was totally unexpected and no, he wasn't supposed to play. He just mysteriously showed up. Michael sent out invites and when he didn't hear back from Mobley, didn't plan for him. I believe that when they found out he was in the crowd, they had him stand up and wave... maybe even dragged him up on stage for the wave. I forget which one.

the guy who probably knows what was going on with Mobley at that time would probably be Barry Harris - unless I'm remembering incorrectly, on the Mobley gig I heard about at the Tin Palace, that Mobley did not make, Barry was the pianist - I haven't talked to him for a while, but will have to ask him next time I see him -

BTW, according to Michael Cuscuna, Mobley's appearance at the 1985 concert was totally unexpected and no, he wasn't supposed to play. He just mysteriously showed up. Michael sent out invites and when he didn't hear back from Mobley, didn't plan for him. I believe that when they found out he was in the crowd, they had him stand up and wave... maybe even dragged him up on stage for the wave. I forget which one.

Mobley not only was brought up on stage but said a few words. They appear on a promotional 45 included in the Japanese One Night With Blue Note Box Set. He says that 'sometimes you can't get in contact with people in time but they got in contact with me to come here" and then mentions talking to Lou Donaldson and realizing that LD, not Hank, is the "oldest person who played saxophone for Blue Note."

You do realize that he died on an Amtrak bench, homeless & penniless, right? Sleeping on a bench or sleeping in a gutter - not too far a stretch for a homeless broke.

Are you sure about the "Amtrak bench"? The local papers said he died in a hospital.

HANK MOBLEY, 55, JAZZ MUSICIAN

Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA)

June 4, 1986

Services are scheduled Friday evening for Hank Mobley, 55, once one of the leading figures in jazz.

The tenor saxophone player, who worked with such jazz greats as Thelonius Monk, Art Blakey, Miles Davis and Horace Silver, died last Friday at Misericordia Hospital of pneumonia. He lived in Southwest Philadelphia.

Mr. Mobley, who also is credited with 140 compositions, is survived by his parents, Otis and Lillian Rogers.

Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Johnson Funeral Home, 46th Street and Woodland Avenue. Services will follow at 8 p.m. Burial will be made at 10 a.m. Saturday at Mount Lawn Cemetery in Sharon Hill.

Memo: OBITUARIES

Edition: FINAL

Section: LOCAL

Page: E12