If the posts that I put so much thought into...

freeform83

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first crash we've had in our four year existence where posts were actually lost, if I recall correctly. We had a database error caused by me last year where we lost member accounts, but their posts were still actually in the database (they just show up as written by no one). Considering how large the database is (over 633,000 posts) to lose just a handful in a few years is a great track record, imo.

What can I say; you just had bad timing. I don't think it warrants over-reaction.

For the record, I take offense at the word "easily", since I've been stressing out about this entire ordeal all week long.

Thanks, Jim for getting this thing back up and running so quickly. Appreciate all the work you put into this place.

Note to the thread originator - this is a private board run by individuals, and a labor of love. It's not like All About Jazz, where there are "masters to please", and there's a bit of an antiseptic feel.

Edited by Aggie87

OK, I was being inconsiderate. I apologize. I really just wanted my posts to be there for future Marion Brown fans, and there were a few others where I was looking forward to responses.

I've never really thought of my posts as timeless - just part of a conversation, and I don't expect them to be preserved for posterity, though I do try to consider my words. Anyways, there are a few of my past :rolleyes: posts that I HOPE got lost! :rolleyes: Jim, thanks for all your work setting up this site and keeping it going. I work in the IS biz and know the ordeal it can be, despite efforts and precautions being taken.

OK, I was being inconsiderate. I apologize. I really just wanted my posts to be there for future Marion Brown fans, and there were a few others where I was looking forward to responses.

I understand and believe me, I don't like to lose data. But as I explained, this is the very first time we've lost any posts. Stick around... re-post your thoughts... you'll be happy you did, I guarantee.

last week was my first week away from this board (since i am here regularly)... and now it's like time stood still :) thank you so much Jim for putting all this effort into it! (btw what i am missing in the new and great looking version are the links to the "today's active topics" page in every thread... but i will get used to it!) (will try the search function next...)

Note to the thread originator - this is a private board run by individuals, and a labor of love.

With this in mind, the board reliability has a really excellent track record since it was started in 2003. Well done to Jim and thanks for keeping us updated on progress whilst the maintenance was done.

BTW, thanks to google, here's your original post:

The album dates to 1970, the first year of ECM, when the label offered a fresh new sense of artistic freedom in light of the increasingly commercial output of Blue Note and Impulse! -- but before the stereotypically sterile ECM "sound" became its dominant approach to production. The personnel is as follows:

Marion Brown: alto sax, zomari, percussion

Anthony Braxton: alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, contra-bass clarinet, Chinese musette, flute, percussion

Chick Corea: piano, bells, gong, percussion

Andrew Cyrille: percussion

Larry Curtis: percussion (Side B only)

William Green: Top o'lin, percussion (Side B only)

Jack Gregg: bass, percussion

Jeanne Lee: voice, percussion

Billy Malone: African drum (Side B only)

Bennie Maupin: tenor sax, alto flute, bass clarinet, acorn, bells, wooden flute, percussion

Gayle Palmore: voice, piano, percussion

The music feels warm, organic, and personal -- appropriate for a record intended to conjure images of such a specific place. Although Brown's liner notes on the the title track (Side A) mention Atlanta, it is clear that he is attempting to evoke a forest, perhaps an undeveloped area in the middle of a city, or even a semi-false idealized memory of lazy childhood summers. Whatever the case, the mood is a pastoral one. The title piece starts with a shower of "wooden raindrops," followed by more "metallic" percussion, before Brown sounds a call on the Zomari (a sort of "primitive"-sounding African instrument) and Braxton and Maupin enter on flutes. Then Chick Corea plays what is probably my favorite solo of his, one that literally redefined my concept of what a piano solo could be. He starts inside the piano, and produces all manner of Cage-ian "prepared piano" sounds, introduces more "traditional" elements, but maintains a constant sense of logic (within the context of the record) and forward momentum. Brown has special words of his own for the solo in the liner notes. It is followed by the avant-garde vocalizing of Jeanne Lee as Chick continues to play and the flutes come back. The piece finally returns to the gentle percussive rainstorm where it originated. It may go without saying that "Afternoon of a Georgia Faun" has more in common with 20th century classical music than with jazz. There are no recognizably "jazz" chords or phrasings for the entire piece.

"Djinji's Corner," written to welcome Brown's new son into the world, begins with a blast from Braxton and Maupin that brings the listener back into a more obviously "free jazz" realm, although the basic framework again draws more from contemporary classical. The piece is built around an "instrument-changing" concept where the musicians move from one "station" of instruments to another, long enough to state a theme on whatever they decide to pick up. Braxton and Maupin move to their primary axes, but everyone doubles on hand percussion at some point or another. Chick's playing here is along the lines of the Circle records. Coming on the heels of the title track -- one of my favorite pieces of recorded music -- "Djinii's Corner" inevitably disappoints somewhat as feeling less original. But it remains a highly engaging piece of early 70s free jazz, perhaps distinguished by the beautiful craziness of Lee's vocals (wish she were on more records). Others may disagree that it is the lesser of the two sides.

Anyway, I am interested to hear any and all opinions on this album. I realize that some of you may not own it, as it is long out of print on CD. I picked up mine on vinyl a few years ago. It was sold to the record store by a pimp, from from the collection of the father of one of his prostitutes. A sad story in more ways than one, but at least other got to enjoy some of the man's amazing record collection, which ranged from classic 60s Blue Note to rare Stockhausen (which got snapped up within a couple of days) and included almost every ECM from the 70s.

Feel free to start up a new topic.

...are this easily lost, then I don't think I will be posting anymore.

But I will still check back every now and then.

Here's what ya do if you have a post that you just can't live without because it's just that good:

1) Copy your post.

2) Paste to a word document.

3) Save to computer.

4) Back up to CD.

5) File in fireproof safe.

6) Refer to as necessary to repost in future which will not be in the near future; probably greater than 5 years from now, but it never hurts to be prepared.

There you go...

Sarcasm indeed not intended, but read as you will...

^_^

Edited to say thanks to Jim A. for all of the hard work he's done since the board's inception and especially over the past week.

Edited by rachel

...are this easily lost, then I don't think I will be posting anymore.

But I will still check back every now and then.

Here's what ya do if you have a post that you just can't live without because it's just that good:

1) Copy your post.

2) Paste to a word document.

3) Save to computer.

4) Back up to CD.

5) File in fireproof safe.

6) Refer to as necessary to repost in future which will not be in the near future; probably greater than 5 years from now, but it never hurts to be prepared.

There you go...

Sarcasm indeed not intended, but read as you will...

^_^

Edited to say thanks to Jim A. for all of the hard work he's done since the board's inception and especially over the past week.

:lol:

I think you should take the above precautions with this post.