if you could move, where to?

7/4

I often wish that I had settled down in or somewhere near San Francisco....

Anyhow, if I could move anywhere now I'd move to western North Carolina, to either Burke or McDowell County. The mountains are beautiful, I have relatives there, and the property tax is reasonable.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyhow, if I could move anywhere now I'd move to western North Carolina, to either Burke or McDowell County. The mountains are beautiful, I have relatives there, and the property tax is reasonable.

My Dad is from Ashville. I know that's a bit west of there.

I liked Toronto a lot. It seems to be run a lot better than Chicago, where a lot of things are getting on my nerves. On the other hand, the music and theatre scene is better in Chicago.

I agree, but don't tell that to anyone in Toronto. They think that after NY they're the theater center of North America.

Yeah, maybe if your idea of theatre is Lion King and Phantom of the Opera. Real theatre is off-Broadway and off-Loop (in Chicago). 10 times more satisfying for 1/5th the price. And Chicago's off-Loop theatre scene kicks Toronto's ass. I lived in both places long enough to know.

I've lived in so many friggin' places, I'd just like to find somewhere that I don't want to move away from.

Ditto.

Once I get my degree in December, I hope to move back to Chicago or out West. We'll see.

You could move to Newark.

Tough question.

I would be happy numerous places within New York and on the east coast.

Shit, I'd even do the suburbs of Cleveland. :)

As far as other places in the U.S. goes, out west, maybe around San Diego.

But, if I was to go out of this country...

The Ticino region of Switzerland or Northern Italy.

Parma and Toscana would do. Who am I kidding? Most any place in Italy would do.

Denmark could be interesting as well.

Yes! ... Beautiful. Tennessee ain't bad either. Somewhere on a lake, with a dock, and the dogs. Perfect.

Either that or somewhere on the Mediterranean. France, Italy, maybe Spain. Europe appeals, but I'd get homesick for the good old USA, nutty as it is.

I hate cows

You'd absolutely hate it here then ! (English hamlet - there was one staring right at me as I looked out from upstairs this morning) :g

Toronto used to be pretty good for jazz, at least it was 15-20 years ago. A lot of fine US bands used to do shake-out weeks there before heading on the road, to the advantage of the locals.

Edited by sidewinder

Some interesting answers and pretty much what I'd expect from such a cross section; city dwellers want to try the wilds and vice versa!

I love where I live now. In fact it's the only place I've ever been comfortable in: small Yorkshire village, National Park location, two hundred or so people, 3 pubs, shop, school and great community spirit --- differentiating it even moreso than it's neighbouring villages and hamlets. I've worked here too for 7 out of the 10 years I've been here and am now a 'respected' member of the community (school governor etc.) so all seems rosy and there ain't nowhere else I'd want to live in this country (apart from Edinburgh -- love that place). But.

I long for somewhere outside of England. As does my wife. We worry about the life my son is going to enter when he's a teenager and starts to see the wider picture. There's a lot of development going on in the closest town with a cafe culture/boho thing --- but it's all so superficial.

Brittany? We holiday there most years and love it. Always a possibility.

A city? York or Edinburgh perhaps. A friend recently had the chance of a two year contract in New York (amazing package with all sorts of perks---- he passed) and I was very envious indeed.

Somewhere like Montreal or Seattle looks idyllic in terms of city-meets-environment.

Northern Spain/Cantabria is also on the list.

First of all though, I need to sort my life out --- give it a rudder and drive it for a while :rolleyes:

Edited by tonym

I've lived in so many friggin' places, I'd just like to find somewhere that I don't want to move away from.

Ditto.

Once I get my degree in December, I hope to move back to Chicago or out West. We'll see.

You could move to Newark.

I was thinking about it not too long ago!

Sounds like Newark might cure that old "the grass is always greener...." adage. Plus, I hear the taxes will kill you in New Jersey. :ph34r:

I've tried for two jobs in Ireland. Both times the job never materialized, but I was ready to go. For some reason, Ireland's always intrigued me as a place to live.

Thats another place I'd move to in a heartbeat. Its a really beautiful country with very nice people.