Organissimo Conference: May 2008

AllenLowe

I was going to wait on this until after the holidays, but I wanted to get a sense of the forum - Jim and I have discussed maybe holding an Organissimo Conference in May of 2008 in Chicago - the idea is a 2 day conference, maybe a panel discussion or two, maybe some vendor tables, and a Saturday night performance by some goups, plus a stripper (just seeing if anyone's paying attention) -

the way I see it is that this site and this conference can be used to galvanize at leat some segment of the jazz audience that is tired of the same old-same old, the crappy promotional tie ins, the same musicians over and over again, the bad music, and the sight of Berigan dancing the rhumba - well, I can't eliminate that last, but maybe we can get him to do a Merengue instead -

but all seriousness aside, this is a chance to do something for ourselves instead of waiting for an industry that is semi-comatose; get to hang out, talk about the things we care about, listen to some music (and maybe we can get a few ringers), see what we each look like in the flesh (now there's a thought) -

and here's the need: I'm thinking we charge maybe $35 for the weekend, for the panels and conference, try to find a place to hold the discussions/concerts (I'm working on this separately but we are happy to entertain suggestions), and hopefully we can draw some non-Organissimo people who live in Chicago and the environs -

Larry Kart will give the introductory address - (just kidding there, Larry) - however, Larry does have a large rec room, and if he can get the pool table and the large-screen TV and his beer-drinkin' buddies out of there, we might be able to use it -

at any rate, I don't thing we can make a go of this unless we have at least 50 paying conference go-ers; figure, you fly in on Friday, conference on Saturday, concert Saturday night, some meetings/conference things on Sunday, and than go home - that's the general outline - though maybe it should be fly in on Thursday, conference/concerts Friday and Saturday, go home Sunday - let us know what you think, and make a committment to go -

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far I am underwhelmed by the response - c'mon guys -

I'm not thrilled about the costs. It would cost money to go to Chicago to begin with, then we've got to shell out for a "boring" conference? I prefer to just hang somewhere. I'm a poor student right now. I am not opposed to Chicago as a venue.

so far I am underwhelmed by the response - c'mon guys -

This might not be the optimum time to get a lot of responses, what with people taking off for the holidays and all.

I'm up for it, but it may be a little short notice for some- I know I've already booked much of the first half of next year.

Some folks might need a little more time to plan for it. I hope it works out, though! If it comes together I'll make every effort to attend.

"I'm not thrilled about the costs. It would cost money to go to Chicago to begin with, then we've got to shell out for a "boring" conference?"

yes, $35 is very steep for a professional conference - and thank you for that vote of confidence - and for that touching display of affection for you fellow organissimo-ites -

"I'm not thrilled about the costs. It would cost money to go to Chicago to begin with, then we've got to shell out for a "boring" conference?"

yes, $35 is very steep for a professional conference - and thank you for that vote of confidence - and for that touching display of affection for you fellow organissimo-ites -

We likely misunderstand each other. I would love to hang with Organissimo posters. I would not love to listen to a bunch of prepared speeches and sales pitches. Perhaps I misunderstand what the "conference" is about?

If you mean rent a conference room where everyone can hang then that's different. I guess I don't know what you mean.

The strippers will be a major selling point for me, but they will have to be cool 1950s grindhouse cheesecake strippers, not those smacked-out 80s looking chicks.

Those ladies gotta be getting a little long in the tooth! Heck, even the 80's strippers are probably in their mid 40's at least, by now!

The strippers will be a major selling point for me, but they will have to be cool 1950s grindhouse cheesecake strippers, not those smacked-out 80s looking chicks.

Those ladies gotta be getting a little long in the tooth! Heck, even the 80's strippers are probably in their mid 40's at least, by now!

But there are young women now who do old-school cheesecake stuff. That's who I want.

well, let's clarify - the conference may include panels - maybe a noted Chicago musician to field questions; or a group pf radio people to talk about contemporary jazz radio; collectors to talk about what's hot and what's not, what's rare and what's not, what they've found that you don't know about; writers to talk about contemporary coverage of jazz and the literature; Clementine to tell us why we're all full of shit (now that's one I personally would like to see);

could be a lot of things - could include tables of used LPs; a show of jazz videos and films (maybe invite Mark Cantor); a criticism of jazz academia; a talk about Jack Purvis; a debate between Chris Albertson and Berigan - a resurrection of Che -

plenty of room for suggestions -