Organissimo Conference: May 2008

AllenLowe

well, normally I disagree with everybody, but I will blow any way the wind blows here, as I don't want to ask anyone to do anything that they do not want to do -

sigh...

I will only say that, given the state of the jazz world I saw this (as did Jim, I think) as a way, in this rapidly consolidating musical world, for independent thinkers to present a world view that stands in contrast to the usual jazz crap - and I will avoid being specific just because I think each of us can think of one aspect of the jazz world that has basically turned to crap, even, to my way of seeing things, some of the better and potentially more serious approaches have been eroded by conventional ways of doing things, conventional wisdom, conventional approaches -

but, obviously it's an idea that works only in my head, so I suppose it will stay there - surrounded by lots of other lonely and impractical ideas -

so, let's start over -

should this, if it exists, be strictly a social/musical event? Should I quit now while I'm behind? As Mussolini said, I bow to the will of the people (as long as my kid gets to play in the rhythm section) -

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and since I can't give up anything completely, I will add that it would be preferable to me, whichever way this event goes (if it goes) that it not be just another gig - I just think, given the wide range of interesting people and musicians assembled here, given the brains and the talent, given the possible locale of Chicago (a hipper town than any place I have lived recently) that we attempt to make it just a little bit more interesting and a little less jazz-provincial.

but that's just my opinion -

Jim, what do you think? I'm getting lonely...

Edited by AllenLowe

What Larry said, especially the part where he says he says he's "obviously batshit"! Me too.

I think the whole deal should be a social affair, not a structured event. Forum musicians, centering around Organissimo should be more than enough, with the added spice of any Chicago musicians willing to join in - I'd love to hear Von playing with the band.

Needless to say, I will be there and look forward to the possibility of a few beers with Dan. I have already had a few with Connie and might avoid that. :ph34r:

Pretty much share Chuck's view.

Allen--apologies for taking the conference idea rather lightly... didn't realize that you were seriously committed to proposing something along those lines, but I'd have to go along with the Herd (First? Second? Third?) in seconding what Larry and Chuck said. I think a socializing/music get-together would be a fine thing--have yet to have a negative experience through hanging with another board member. All we'd really need would be a couple points of congregation over a weekend--JRM on Saturday afternoon, an Organissimo-or-other-artist performance that night, a get-together at a good Chicago bar or restaurant the following day...something more along those lines, perhaps? Interesting and fun conversations and actitivites bound to ensue from all of that with these folks. O posters could double up on hotel rooms or stay with any friends or relatives that they might have in the Chicago area. Logistics will undoubtedly be tough enough for some--conference events might end up being an added discouragement.

Now if you're proposing crashing the IAJE and raising some hell there... :crazy::excited:

I still don't care for the thought of a conference that we pay to attend, in order to see panel discussions.

Wasn't this board almost shut down for lack of funds?

This might be not only the perfect stamp of definition on our "little" online community, but also a great opportunity to fundraise for the board and its proprietors.

What Larry said, especially the part where he says he says he's "obviously batshit"! Me too.

I think the whole deal should be a social affair, not a structured event. Forum musicians, centering around Organissimo should be more than enough, with the added spice of any Chicago musicians willing to join in - I'd love to hear Von playing with the band.

Needless to say, I will be there and look forward to the possibility of a few beers with Dan. I have already had a few with Connie and might avoid that. :ph34r:

Cool! Maybe we can talk about those Baby Face 45s. ;)

Pretty much share Chuck's view.

You don't even want to drink with yourself?

:g

just want to add, to show I am not totally delusional, that the original idea of this WAS quite different than the currently developing concept - in the first post that Jim made, suggesting it, he compared his idea to the Tape Op conference -which is much more in line with the things I was originally proposing here - a real conference with themes, talks, organizational purpose, etc etc - I still think this would be a much more interesting idea, especially given the almost complete corporatization of the jazz world - won't happen, however, from what I can determine here -

I still don't care for the thought of a conference that we pay to attend, in order to see panel discussions.

Wasn't this board almost shut down for lack of funds?

This might be not only the perfect stamp of definition on our "little" online community, but also a great opportunity to fundraise for the board and its proprietors.

Yes, it was almost shut down, in part for lack of funds, but it was our sharp, sudden awareness of that problem and our collective desire to not let the shut-down happen if possible that led to the successful fundraising -- a habit that I'm sure will continue with a nudge here and there. Clearly enough of us can afford it and are willing to weigh in. I think though that fundraising for the board and a conference are or should be two separate things. For one thing, if I know my conferences, just about every dime raised or charged to set up and run such an event will of necessity be spent then and there.

not necessarily - it's the old bugaboo of administrative costs, which weigh down many organizations - it's all in the realm of budget and execution which, if done right, can leave plenty of room for money back into the Board - but there's more to it, in my opinion - I see the Conference, in my(and I think Jim's, but he may disagree) original conception as a sort of consciousness raising about Organissimo, both the band and the web site and the larger state of jazz - SO - even if the conference is not a money maker, it's a way of looking ahead, of recruiting new members, new donations, etc - it's a little along the line of, even if it ain't broke, you have to look ahead to a time when things slow down, when new energy and commitment is needed. For a musician, it's always time to think a year or two ahead -

just my (admittedly minority) opinion -

Edited by AllenLowe

:tup ....to Allen for proposing the hang. It would be great to get together with all of you....well, most of you....would love to check out a show or two while in town....the Velvet, New Apartment Lounge....the Showcase should be re-opened by then....and of course some live performances by board member as well.....but will go with the flow :P !

m~

Seems much more reasonable and doable as a social affair. It would be very cool to be at an org gig with a bunch of people from the board. An added bonus would be seeing some of the other musicians from this place playing with the band.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...