Bix Beiderbecke

EKE BBB

Has anybody heard?

Lino Patruno Presents "A Tribute to Bix"

Jazzology JCD-343

From Bix website:

The tracks on this CD were recorded live at the 2003 New Orleans Jazz Festival in Ascona, Switzerland. It featured a series of tributes to Bix on the 100th anniversary of his birth.

There are 15 tracks on the CD. All but four are numbers recorded by Bix with various groups. Here is the complete listing.

Royal Garden Blues

Jazz Me Blues

Virginia

Melancholy

Fidgety Feet

Skylark

Sugar

Slow River

China Boy

Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

Bay Won't You Please Come Home

Going Places

I'm Through With Love

Honey

Miss Hannah.

Some of the musicians are

Tom Pletcher, Cornet

Randy Sandke, Cornet

Randy Reinhart, Cornet

Jon-Erik Kellso, Cornet

David Sager, Trombone

Bob Wilber, Clarinet And Soprano Sax

Kenny Davern, Clarinet

Keith Nichols, Piano

Lino Patruno, Guitar

Howard Alden, Guitar

Ed Metz, Jr, Drums

Andy Stein, Violin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ken Burns told it so IT MUST BE TRUE!!

:g

That made the KB series? Oh my. :unsure:

I think I posted this elsewhere, but Albert Haim asked to archive my WFIU Bix program on his Bixography website. You can listen to it & othe Bix material here:

Bix Beiderbecke: Never the Same Way Twice

or just click on this:

WFIUBixprogram

The program got a very nice comment from Bixography regular Norman Field in the discussion forum:

an excellent programme indeed... managing, as it does, to compress a commendably detailed and succinct account of Bix into the compass of a single hour.

If any non-Jazz orientated friend or colleague ever asks you: 'Who is this 'Bix' you keep talking about anyway?', give them the link above to that program.

It is an excellent general introduction to Bixology.

You will already have given them the URL of this site long ago, of course!

Enough of tooting my own cornet... B-) There are some stills from a 1926 Goldkette film posted on Albert's site, including one of Bix and a man in a monkey suit:

still1.jpg

Another w/Bix, Brown, and Murray:

still2bis.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

Shrdlu

Sorry I missed your Q re C-melodys earlier! Yes, no one makes them any more, most of what you see were made in the twenties, some later. I actually own two, a Conn and a King. Other than somewhat old fashioned keywork (the Conn more so), they play pretty much like comparable tenors and altos. Finding a comfortable playing posture can be an issue depending on how big you are and how you like to hold your horn. Vintage mouth pieces tend toi be rather 'stuffy' and modern tenor or alto mouthpieces can present intonation probs, fortunately you can buy modern C mouthpieces that use tenor reeds. i need to check these out and/or look for a Selmer short shank tenor mp to trade my honking huge Berg Larson for... Oh, and I still love Bix and Tram.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Bix Beiderbecke is seen playing with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra in May 1928 in this Movietone newsreel during the recording session for Columbia of 'My Ohio Home' (Gus Kahn-Walter Donaldson)

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...x1fr78_bix-1928

First time I have ever watched Bix play :blink:

Thanks!

I believe the same footage is also on this DVD?

424185.jpg

Bix Beiderbecke is seen playing with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra in May 1928 in this Movietone newsreel during the recording session for Columbia of 'My Ohio Home' (Gus Kahn-Walter Donaldson)

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...x1fr78_bix-1928

First time I have ever watched Bix play :blink:

Ouch, something in my web browser went wrong, I'm afraid:

"You tried to access the address http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...x1fr78_bix-1928, which is currently unavailable. "

• 1 year later...

I've been resisting getting the "Bix Restored" sets because I already have the Milestone, the Mosaic set, and the older "Indispensable" on RCA. The sound on the Milestone and the Indispensable leaves a lot to be desired, though. So, all you Bix-o-philes out there--convince me! How much do I need those (fairly spendy) Bix Restored sets?! Seems like a fair amount of duplication off the Mosaic!

Greg Mo

I've been resisting getting the "Bix Restored" sets because I already have the Milestone, the Mosaic set, and the older "Indispensable" on RCA. The sound on the Milestone and the Indispensable leaves a lot to be desired, though. So, all you Bix-o-philes out there--convince me! How much do I need those (fairly spendy) Bix Restored sets?! Seems like a fair amount of duplication off the Mosaic!

Greg Mo

I would recommend getting V. 1 and seeing how you like it. It covers the same period as the Milestone and the Indispensable and has very little overlap with the Mosaic (there's some on disc 3).

Scored lucky and found three Masters of Jazz by Bix (Volumes 4-6), new, shrink-wrapped - mostly Whiteman sides, in between there are a few sessions duplicated on the Bix/Tram/Tea Mosaic.

Now I still need some disc with the Wolverines material - which is the option of choice? The Fantasy?

For a selection of Goldkette sides I have the Retrieval single disc. Not the greatest music I've heard, but a couple of great Bix solos on it!

As for the Master of Jazz discs, I skipped Vol. 3 and Vol. 7 both of which the store still has. Most of those is on the Mosaic, and I figured I wouldn't need these just for a few Whiteman sides. Am I missing something, or is that an ok decision?

I read the discussion on Rifftides (but not yet the main post that prompted it and is linked to at the beginning of the discussion. Not that interesting, really, as some say an old discussion about art and artist... Randy Sandke's short post there pretty much wraps it up for me.

Greg was concerned about overlap between the Mosaic and the Bix Restored. IIRC the only overlap between Bix V. 1 and the Mosaic is disc 3 (of the Bix Restored)--which still has a couple of Victor cuts and the Jess Stacy Bix interpretations that are not found on the Mosaic.

Cool. I'll try to find the Bix Restored, Vol. 1 and see what I think, but the remastering is by Davies, and I've always been impressed with his work, so I imagine I'll like it. Anybody know a secret store selling it cheap?! ;)

Love the recommendation on the British LPs by the way, but I'm afraid I made the Faustian bargain on cds quite a long time ago!

Greg Mo

Scored lucky and found three Masters of Jazz by Bix (Volumes 4-6), new, shrink-wrapped - mostly Whiteman sides, in between there are a few sessions duplicated on the Bix/Tram/Tea Mosaic.

Now I still need some disc with the Wolverines material - which is the option of choice? The Fantasy?

For a selection of Goldkette sides I have the Retrieval single disc. Not the greatest music I've heard, but a couple of great Bix solos on it!

As for the Master of Jazz discs, I skipped Vol. 3 and Vol. 7 both of which the store still has. Most of those is on the Mosaic, and I figured I wouldn't need these just for a few Whiteman sides. Am I missing something, or is that an ok decision?

I read the discussion on Rifftides (but not yet the main post that prompted it and is linked to at the beginning of the discussion. Not that interesting, really, as some say an old discussion about art and artist... Randy Sandke's short post there pretty much wraps it up for me.

Flurin, I'd steer clear of the Fantasy and look for the Timeless version.

Flurin, I'd steer clear of the Fantasy and look for the Timeless version.

Will do - I had a hunch someone would say I shouldn't get the Fantasy :)