Helen Merrill fans REJOICE!!!!!

Shawn

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find any mention of it.

Mosaic Singles

The Helen Merrill- Dick Katz Sessions

In the mid '60s Helen Merrill and Dick Katz collaborated on two magnificent albums, "The Feeling Is Mutual" and "A Shade Of Difference", both originally issued on the Milestone label. These were the greatest example of Merrill's artistry since her collaborations with Gil Evans and Clifford Brown. The repertoire fits her like a glove and sidemen include Thad Jones, Gary Bartz, Jim Hall, Katz, Ron Carter and Elvin Jones. Both albums are on one CD for the first time.

Helen Merrill – Casa Forte

This 1980 album beautifully orchestrated by Merrill's husband Torrie Zito features her in a variety of settings interpreting mostly the great Brazilian songwriters (Jobim, Caymmi, Nascimento etc). The exceptional supporting cast includes Sal Nistico, Bucky Pizzarelli, George Mraz, Grady Tate and Dom Um Romao.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/genres.asp?dept=50

The two Merrill/Katz albums are among the best vocal albums ever, in my humble opinion! Terrific music!

I have the Gitanes CDs of those (also of "Casa Forte", the Bird/Gershwin album). In addition to those, there were three piano trio albums, by Tommy Flanagan, Roland Hanna and someone else, Al Haig?... All of these (? I only have the Flanagan) also had Merrill sitting in on one song.

That would have made for a good Select, I guess! Though possibly it would have been too much for 3 discs... with Casa Forte, the rest should have fit onto 3CDs, though. Anyway, it's good to see these being reissued!

The two Merrill/Katz albums are among the best vocal albums ever, in my humble opinion! Terrific music!

I'm in complete agreement! Sangrey turned me onto The Feeling Is Mutual and started me on my Helen Merrill fanaticism.

I've been meaning to check out Helen Merrill someday. This will provide the perfect opportunity.

Hello to all from Greece. It is my first post to this magnificent forum and I thank you so much for these great discussions. Regarding, H. Merrill I highly treasure a 4-CD box with her complete Mercury/Emarcy recordings. Especially these sessionswith Gil Evans.

Best,

Alex

Athens

Alex, welcome from one Helen Merrill and jazz fan to another. Thirty five or so years ago I spent not enough time in your wonderul city, and I will never forget the experience. Please post and enjoy the community here.

Alex - don't forget to send in your first year's dues -

love Helen Merrill, love Dick Katz (hey, he played at my wedding) - but I've always thought that engineers have rarely understood how to record Merril's voice - given its tendency toward whispiness, it seems to sometimes fade away - this is probably the result of engineers using ribbon mikes when they should always use condensers with her - otherwise she loses some presence - she sounds best on the Mercurys, I think -

Alex - don't forget to send in your first year's dues -

love Helen Merrill, love Dick Katz (hey, he played at my wedding) - but I've always thought that engineers have rarely understood how to record Merril's voice - given its tendency toward whispiness, it seems to sometimes fade away - this is probably the result of engineers using ribbon mikes when they should always use condensers with her - otherwise she loses some presence - she sounds best on the Mercurys, I think -

I have most Helen Merrill recordings on some of them her voice sounds wonderful!!!???

I have the Gitanes CDs of those (also of "Casa Forte", the Bird/Gershwin album). In addition to those, there were three piano trio albums, by Tommy Flanagan, Roland Hanna and someone else, Al Haig?... All of these (? I only have the Flanagan) also had Merrill sitting in on one song.

That would have made for a good Select, I guess! Though possibly it would have been too much for 3 discs... with Casa Forte, the rest should have fit onto 3CDs, though. Anyway, it's good to see these being reissued!

The third piano cd is with John Lewis (wonderful)

• 1 year later...

Bump. I finally got hold of the 4-disc Complete Helen Merrill Mercury set, and have just finished listening to the fourth disc. I was surprised at how good the sound was since the set dated from 1986. It appears (at least the one I have) to be Japanese--the notes (in English) are by Hiraku Aoki. Whatever its origin, it's certainly worth searching out (albeit, for a price). A really fine singer. I got turned on to her by the recent Mosaic singles which I also have.

What others of her records should I check out?

gregmo

Man, I wish those old Mercury box sets weren't so expensive.

Yeah, I waited and watched until an Amazon seller had it priced around $15 per disc (ca $60.00). I figured it was worth that price, and after listening to it, I think I was right! (And I was lucky in getting the Vaughan and Washington Mercury boxes just as they were going out of print.)

Many thanks to others for the recommendations on Merrill. I'll check those out!

gregmo