Upcoming re-issues from Concord

mgraham333

Claude is certainly better informed than I am! I sometimes wonder how much care labels really take in selecting sound sources for their releases ...

I agree that this session is not that thrilling, and wish they would have chose Kelly's other Riverside album for SACD release.

Seems several of the SACD Fantasy released themselves were not up to par.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are crazy! I have this one in a cardboard ZYX 20bit edition and will not replace it... it's far from the greatest ever hardbop album anyway, in my opinion!

You'd be surprised at how much better this album gets with optimal sound quality ;)

Yeah, I guess so - but with the time of CDs running out and my resources being small as ever (and stretched to the limits - frequently over the limits, alas), I simply stopped caring to upgrade things. I have maybe a dozen of those ZYX 20bits (including all five of those Baker sessions with George Coleman, some Cannonball Adderley, Nat's "Work Song", one of the Brubeck Jazz at the College of the Pacific, two of the Blakey Riversides and maybe a few more).

I have maybe a dozen of those ZYX 20bits (including all five of those Baker sessions with George Coleman

Those Chet CDs sound really terrible. The US versions (3 CDs comprising all the tracks from the 5 albums) are so much better, but they are not perfect, as some tracks are in mono although stereo tapes seem to be available (according to a poster on this forum).

Even the crappy 128kbit MP3s I downloaded from emusic years ago (taken from the US CDs) sounded better than the ZYX CDs.

Hi:

Why was my post/reply deleted. There was no offensive language etc. in it. I merely referenced Steve Hoffman's opion on Kelly Blue. He has heard the master tapes, so he is in a position to determine the most faithful--if not the best sounding--mastering. I too think the SACD sound good. Not great.

Thanks.

Michael

now that it comes up, i have two "OJC20" cds where i really would like to now how they compare to other versions... does anyone have an opinion concerning

Art Pepper - Smack Up

Pat Martino - El Hombre

(maybe also Gene Ammons - Blue Gene...)

i have maybe 10 of those cds and in some cases (namely Pepper and Ammons) i do suspect that they sound a bit awkward though i really know little about this type of thing)

thanks!

I merely referenced Steve Hoffman's opion on Kelly Blue. He has heard the master tapes, so he is in a position to determine the most faithful--if not the best sounding--mastering. I too think the SACD sound good. Not great.

Hoffman is a great mastering engineer, but some of his comments on his forum are very ... surprising. I wonder if he didn't mix up the SACD with another CD reissue. I can't believe he thinks the SACD sounds faithful to the master tapes, when his own reissue (the 45rpm LPs) sounds so different from the SACD. Like some other Fantasy SACDs, the "Kelly Blue" reissue sounds very muffled, as if the tapes were defective.

Edited by Claude

Hoffman is a great mastering engineer, but some of his comments on his forum are very ... surprising. I wonder if he didn't mix up the SACD with another CD reissue. I can't believe he thinks the SACD sounds faithful to the master tapes, when his own reissue (the 45rpm LPs) sounds so different from the SACD. Like some other Fantasy SACDs, the "Kelly Blue" reissue sounds very muffled, as if the tapes were defective.

I have maybe a dozen of those ZYX 20bits (including all five of those Baker sessions with George Coleman

Those Chet CDs sound really terrible.

Truer words have never been spoken. I managed to get 4 of the Japanese CDs but never found the 5th, so I decided to get the ZYX 20bit counterpart instead. I had read the warnings, but foolishly thought that it couldn't be that bad. Big mistake. It was worse than I could have imagined, truly abysmal-sounding. How on earth could they be put on the market at all? Incomprehensible.

• 3 months later...

Has Concord (or Fantasy before them) ever released all of the Miles/Monk Dec 24/1954 session on one cd?

Only as disc 3 of the "complete Prestige" Monk box. It's a K2 and sounds dandy.

Correct, but I disagree about the sound. To each their own :)

(edit) I just realized that the complete session is also released on 1 disc of the complete Miles Prestige box; it's on disc 4.

Edited by J.A.W.

(edit) I just realized that the complete session is also released on 1 disc of the complete Miles Prestige box; it's on disc 4.

If the cd edition reflects the original lp edition, the vocal comments are missing. Also, in the first pressings, an alternate was missing and the "master" was duplicated.

If the cd edition reflects the original lp edition, the vocal comments are missing. Also, in the first pressings, an alternate was missing and the "master" was duplicated.

My CD edition does have 2 different takes each of "Bags' Groove" and "The Man I Love" plus single takes of "Bemsha Swing" and "Swing Spring". I didn't check if the vocal comments are there.

My CD edition does have 2 different takes each of "Bags' Groove" and "The Man I Love" plus single takes of "Bemsha Swing" and "Swing Spring". I didn't check if the vocal comments are there.

They aren't.

They aren't.

I just listened to my Japanese non-K2 CD edition and it does have vocal comments and also different takes :)

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 months later...

I bought the RVG Bluesy Burrell and honestly I think it sounds terrible like I'm standing behind the drum kit looking out at the band from behind (if that makes sense) -- the drums are so far out and to the front that it just sounds weird. Also, Hawk's tenor sounds compressed, not as full as I expected. Do the earlier pressing sound better (more balanced) or is it just the recording in general?

http://bopandbeyond.wordpress.com

Edited by televiper

• 4 weeks later...

Well its seems evident that there's no Blue Note reissues on the horizon, but I thought the Prestige RVG's were rolling out with some regularity, although they seemed to have cut their reissues down to three or so per batch. Are there any on the way? Or has this reissue program, along with the Keepnews Collection, come to a screeching halt two?

Funny enough, it seems that Verve are the only ones with a regular reissue program in full swing.

Funny enough, it seems that Verve are the only ones with a regular reissue program in full swing.

well, there are still nessa and futura/marge...

Right, and Atavistic UMS, Transparancy, etc too. It was Verve/Universal that came to mind first. I totally forgot about the independents! Shame on me! :blush2: