Sonny Rollins - Way Out West

bertrand

Well ..... it's a nice blowing session, held late at night due to Ray Brown's and Shelly Manne's studio commitments, and certainly not as arousing as the Village Vanguard live trios or some of the RCA stuff, but still - I would buy it.

But please keep those tapes away from RVG! Joe Tarrantino or Kirk Felton are the better choices for a new remaster, or Steve Hofmann (if he hasn't already done it).

p.s. Yes Hofmann has done it, for Analogue Productions, and there's a Hong Kong Fantasy SACD as well: http://www.sa-cd.net/search/rollins

Edited by mikeweil

Well ..... it's a nice blowing session, held late at night due to Ray Brown's and Shelly Manne's studio commitments, and certainly not as arousing as the Village Vanguard live trios or some of the RCA stuff, but still - I would buy it.

But please keep those tapes away from RVG! Joe Tarrantino or Kirk Felton are the better choices for a new remaster, or Steve Hofmann (if he hasn't already done it).

p.s. Yes Hofmann has done it, for Analogue Productions, and there's a Japanese Fantasy SACD as well: http://www.sa-cd.net/search/rollins

And a (maybe OOP) 45rpm reissue as well.

edit: I think SH did at least two reissues, the first one on DCC label.

I think that the recording is soo good, thanks Mr. Du Nann, that it really needs only a plain transfert A/D.

Edited by porcy62

isn't "new remaster" redundant?

Not really redundant, assuming that every remaster is something's new and different, unless you use a previous one as source, maybe inappropriate, I'd use "latest remaster", but we are talking about adjective.

Edited by porcy62

Yes there are a few of these offshoot labels that have really gotten quite brazen now, I've seen everything from "Miles Ahead" to "Mulligan meets Getz" to "Plenty, Plenty Blues".

Yes, I've seen all of these in local stores, too... beats me why the idiots carry them if the orginal CDs are still to be found (the Mulligan meets Getz for instance was part of a recent Universal sale they had at the same store that now carries the Spanish/Andorran/wherever version - and they likely ask twice as much for the stolen version than they wanted for the Universal version in said sale.)

I don't have this one yet. Is it as good as everybody says it is?

NO

Conflicting opinions here....still not sure if this is an album I need to hear...

One of the top five jazz albums of the 50's.

I think it's one of the greatest Rollins albums from this early, classic period. "I'm An Old Cowhand" alone is worth the price of admission. It is (or was?) available as part of the very fine 5-cd box, "Sonny Rollins: The Freelance Years," which includes all of his Riverside and Contemporary material with alternates.

Greg Mo

If all the negative comments are not just people trying to be funny, then another view is needed.

This is a marvelous Sonny Rollins record. It is one I would definitely not want be be without!!!!!!!!

Generally I can spot satire, even on the internet which can be difficult ... but some of these comments about this album are so far out of line that I must admit to some serious confusion. How anyone cannot recognize this album for the perfection that it is, is beyond me? ... So I hope that what I have been reading is supposedly satirical ... This album was a sensation when it was released, and it remains so ... certainly one of the best from the 1950s ... and I agree with Peter F. that I would never want to be without this album. I go my first copy in 1957, and I still listen to it very regularly ...