*** Trombone Corner ***

Rooster_Ties

In the "free" arena, let's not forget Paul Rutherford. The issue of his 1975 Berlin concerts on Emanem is really nice stuff, too.

Others of note:

the "real" Clifford Thornton

Albert Mangelsdorff

Nick Evans

Johannes Bauer

Conny Bauer

Malcolm Griffiths

Willem Van Manen

Daouud Haroom

Charles Stephens

On this tack - Gail Brand and Alan Tomlinson too!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm happy to say that over the years I've seen Alan Tomlinson, Paul Rutherford, Malcolm Griffiths, Conny Bauer and Nick Evans. Sadly not the others.

Talking of "over the years", between 1957 and about 97, I saw all the following who made their way to these shores:

Jack Teagarden

Dickie Wells

Britt Woodman

Quentin Jackson

Chuck Connors

Lawrence Brown

Benny Powell

Henry Coker

Al Grey

Kai Winding

Bill Watrous

Slide Hampton

Gary Valente

Unfortunately, I never got to see my all-time favorites: J.J., Rosolino and Brookmeyer.

Edited by BillF

Hearing the trombone close up is awesome. I saw JJ and Kai years ago. I was in the front row and the sound really crackled with overtones. More recently I had the same experience with Robin Eubanks, front row seat again but when he moved off mike the sound as electric. All this was lost through amplification. I don't think I've noticed this phenomenon with any other brass/wind instrument.

Hearing the trombone close up is awesome. I saw JJ and Kai years ago.

At one JJ gig in NYC I was so close to the man that his slide was going backwards and forwards right over my head. :o That was the fine group with Dan Faulk and Rene Rosnes. That occasion brought back fond memories yesterday whilst diggin' the 'Heroes' CD. Fortunately. his placement with the slide was immaculate !

A great opportunity to check out at close quarter the famous 'JJ' sound - right out of the bell.

Edited by sidewinder

Hearing the trombone close up is awesome. I saw JJ and Kai years ago.

At one JJ gig in NYC I was so close to the man that his slide was going backwards and forwards right over my head. :o That was the fine group with Dan Faulk and Rene Rosnes. That occasion brought back fond memories yesterday whilst diggin' the 'Heroes' CD. Fortunately. his placement with the slide was immaculate !

A great opportunity to check out at close quarter the famous 'JJ' sound - right out of the bell.

Wow! That must have been an experience! Many of the ones I saw were far from close up - buried in the ranks of the Ellington and Basie bands!

Ah yes, Tomlinson - have only heard a little of his work w/ Brotzmann, for example. Never heard of Gail Brand.

Tomlinson is on a lot of LJCO recordings as well...as for Gail, she's younger. Made a really great recording with Bay Area guys on Emanem called 'Supermodel, Supermodel'. My favourite though, of what I know of hers, is the fantastic quartet Lunge's second album here.

Anyone mention Wayne Henderson? He had some chops back in the day ...

I was (and still am) a big WH fan. He was one of the first guys I checked out, and I played in a group in high school that played a bunch of Crusaders tunes. Wayne was a big time disciple of JJ (as most trombonists are) and had that big, fat sound that drew me in. I still listen to the Crusaders now and then. WH is a soulful MF! :tup

Before I got into jazz I never thought of the trombone as anything other than just a marching band instrument. The (Jazz) Crusaders were one of my gateways into jazz and Wayne Henderson was the first person to show me that the trombone could be a solo instrument. I loved him then and I still love his Crusaders stuff now.

Edited by mikelz777

Ah yes, Tomlinson - have only heard a little of his work w/ Brotzmann, for example. Never heard of Gail Brand.

Tomlinson is on a lot of LJCO recordings as well...as for Gail, she's younger. Made a really great recording with Bay Area guys on Emanem called 'Supermodel, Supermodel'. My favourite though, of what I know of hers, is the fantastic quartet Lunge's second album here.

Thanks for the tip on Brand; there are a lot of weird Emanem things that slip through the cracks and I never hear about them.

I have Ode and Harmos, but little else LJCO and it's all in storage boxes anyway.

Two of the greatest things since sliced bread...

mombasa~~~~_africanrh_101b.jpgmombasa~~~~_africanrh_103b.jpg

Dusty hype is mostly to be believed...

African Rhythms & Blues - Mombasa --- CD (Item 434718) Spiegelei/Sonorama (Germany), 1975

A sublime blend of spiritual jazz and African rhythms -- and one of the few 70s recordings made by Mombasa, a European group put together by LA trombonist Lou Blackburn! The record's got a much more righteous sound than any of Blackburn's work of the 60s -- a boldness and sense of pride that comes from its blending of percussion, acoustic bass, and soaring horn lines on trombone, trumpet, and bamboo flute! Other African elements slide into the music too -- like bits of kalimba -- and the lack of piano or keyboards on the record makes for an especially earthy sound, one that trades rhythm from the percussion with melodies from the horns in a really magical way. Tracks are long, and the set was recorded with the same post-colonial energy as similar work from Paris or London at the time -- a really righteous groove that longs to be rediscovered!

African Rhythms & Blues 2 - Mombasa --- CD (Item 471073) Spiegelei/Sonorama (Germany), 1976

The second album from Mombasa -- and possibly even better than the first! The group have really come into their own by the time of this date -- mixing together jazz and African roots with a sound that's unlike anyone else we can think of -- quite unique in its approach to rhythms, sounds, and solos! The grooves aren't really the Afro Funk you might expect -- and instead, they're based on a headier brew of basslines and percussion, one that's somewhere in a space between Boscoe, The Pharoahs, and Demon Fuzz -- but with a sound that's ultimately different than both. The trombone of Lou Blackburn carries the lead on most tracks -- snaking out wonderfully over the grooves, with a quality that's amazingly soulful, and which almost has him standing head to head with Fred Wesley as a 70s innovator on his instrument. Other members of the group include Doug Lucas on trumpet, Bob Reed on percussion, Alan Tatham on drums, and Don Ridgeway on electric bass -- the last of whom really does a great job shaping the sound of the tunes.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 month later...

bump...

Bill Watrous is in town this weekend for the Texas Jazz Festival. His was actually about the only name I recognized on the schedule (despite the name, it's more of a local/regional/state musician thing than bigger, more well known names, for the most part). Bill's playing with the San Gabriel 7.

I may try to get down there tonight or tomorrow night, but I don't know if my kids will be able to handle an evening of jazz (yet).

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ILJA REIJNGOUD: Music for six trombones and rhythm section

untamedworld.jpg

A few years ago I became interested in writing music for larger trombone ensemble. After forming a modern jazz quintet with Bart Van Lier, I was asked to join the Dutch trombone group Bart's Bones. In the years that followed I started to write my own music for four to twelve trombones, with and without rhythm section, and either classical or jazz related. After music performance at events like the North Sea Jazz Festival, I decided to record most of my compositions. I asked some of my good friends ( who happens to be the best trombone-players in Europe!) to record the music, accompanied by the rhythm section of my own Jazz Quartet. I am both happy and honored that those great musicians were willing to bring my music to life. (Ilja Reijngoud on the cd-booklet)

Ilja Reijngoud: Music for six trombones and rhythm section

Keep swinging

Durium