Baritone Saxophonists

Late

Guess I have to jump in here and mention Don Raffell.

A wonder jazz player who almost did not record any solos.

I know of one Liberty album (he played tenor on that).

You can find his bari playing on the Gerald Wilson record dates that Jack Nimitz did not do.

Hmm...did anyone mention Bill Hood?

Edited by flat5

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever notice how these type threads eventually end up naming almost everybody who's ever played the instrument or every record a particualr player has ever appeared on?

:D

I think baritone saxophonists have a great advantage over players of other instruments. If you can play it, you've got this effin' HUGE sound, which has just got to impress any audience! And music is, before anything else, sound.

MG

Listening to Lars Gullin right now, I'm thinking all things baritone. Here are some questions to start a discussion:

• When you reach for a recording with a baritone saxophonist on it, what album, or artist, do you find yourself most commonly reaching for?

• What baritone saxophonist do you wish had recorded more? In what type of setting?

• Are there any great baritone saxophonists out there that you think are under-recognized, or not recognized at all?

• Are there any baritone saxophone-led recordings that you would personally consider a "hidden gem" in the vast sea of improvised recordings?

bildjournalen56.jpg

For me, it's Gille Melle and "Primitive Modern."

• 16 years later...
On 1/4/2004 at 1:03 AM, mikeweil said:

A hidden gem (as asked for in the initial post) is the 1956 Savoy LP Patterns in Jazz with Kenny Dorham on four tracks. Dorham and Payne were a perfect frontline match, with their lyricism and common first-hand bebop experience. The rhythm section with Duke Jordan, Tommy Potter (playing some great solos) and Arthur Taylor is very very fine too - each title swings in a slightly different fashion.

Payne's soft and fluid sound touches me much more than the harder edged Adams etc. school. He's also heard prominently on the Ernie Wilkins-Kenny Clarke Septet LP on Savoy, in tandem with George Barrow, who hasn't been mentioned yet - mostly burried in section work, but his solos here show a fine player.

Browsed through this resurrected thread and listened to Patterns of Jazz. Very nice laid back but groovy music. Dorham does complement Payne well (on 3 tracks). The album is available on streaming, but I ordered (on Discogs) the cd anyway!