Happy Birthday GA Russell!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Many thanks again this year, my friends!

History was made this year. For the first time, I celebrated my birthday in Daylight Savings Time!

I got a nice haul of music - four CDs!

One of my favorite bands when I was in college was Dick Morrisey's jazz-rock group called If. They put out four albums in four years and called it a day. In 1997 a German label called Repertoire issued a CD of concert tapes called Europe '72. It doesn't break any new ground, but it's great to hear, as this is my first If album since getting their fourth in 1973.

For the past twenty years I have wanted a copy of Henry Mancini's soundtrack of the movie Charade. I'm not sure that a CD has ever been released in the US. This appears to be German. The music is coupled with a second album, Mancini's soundtrack of the movie Experiment in Terror, which I understand to be good.

I also received two promos that I am looking forward to hearing:

The first is Paquito D'Rivera's Panamericana.

The second is The Either Orchestra's Mood Music for Time Travellers.

Now for some cake!

I missed this thread - Happy belated GA!

"Several Shades of Jade" is such a great album - it is more of a Lalo Schifrin album, though, than a Cal Tjader album. It falls someplace between a late 50s/early 60s exotica album and a mid-60s spy soundtrack - which IS EXACTLY WHERE I CHOOSE TO LIVE MY LIFE!!!!

:cool:

Great about the Charde/Experiment twofer. They're both gems. The instrumental version of "Charade" is one of my favorite spy themes ever. "Experiment" is one of only two Mancini soundtracks from this period (the other being Arabesque) in which Mancini included some of the film's dramatic underscore on the album version. He later said that he regretted the approach he took with his soundtrack albums to highlight mostly pop/jazz content. Either way, all of those Mancini soundtracks from that period are fun listening.

Happy birthday again!