Upcoming Blue Note reissues

Daniel A

Grant's First Stand is an excellent session,

Agreed!

I have one of the previous versions that is good enough for me.

Yes, I have the McMaster version - and a mono Deep Groove NY USA. Those are good enough :)

I no longer buy discs for upgrades unless there's new material.

QRT.

MG

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I guess it's just my gripe. Back when I used to purchase Mosaic sets it would irritate me when they would go out of print and then Blue Note would reissue EVERYTHING included in the box. So in the end that limited edition set is obsolete and the music wasn't quite as rare as they told us it was...at least not until the box set sold out.

P.S. - The Paul Chambers Quintet album is currently available in the Mosaic Select.

And because of that I almost held off on buying the Horace Parlan set. But I've been here long enough now that I'm warped and consider the cost of a 5 disc Mosaic set to be dirt cheap. :lol:

One way to get over your gripe is to adopt a stance that the RVG's sound too hot (even if you don't really believe this) and pat yourself on the back for having some big cool photographs that the RVG buyers don't get. Plus the spines of your Mosaic discs (assuming you shelve them) look classier ever since the red EMI logo appeared on the Blue Note releases.

Plus the spines of your Mosaic discs (assuming you shelve them) look classier ever since the red EMI logo appeared on the Blue Note releases.

They've been doing that in Britain since 2004. Is it a new thing in America?

MG

Time flies! I'm guessing it happened here around the same time too. I'm still recovering. ;)

It doesn't really bug me, but it did look classier to have a bunch of Shorters and Silvers lined up without "big red."

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

Leo Parker - Rollin' With Leo

wow, I thought I would never see these in print again. Great news. I can't wait to finally hear them.

I've got One Step Beyond already (TOJC and on the Moncur box), but am pretty excited about the Leo Parker (just as the other one is going OOP <_< ). I'm having a small debate whether to upgrade that one from a Spanish BN, but probably won't. It's not one where the blue tinged cover makes that much of a difference.

I am glad to see reissues still appearing. I think it maintains some chance (however small) that EMI will reissue some music onto CD that has not appeared before.

It was unusual to see Verve issue Maynard Ferguson Octet on Emarcy because that was something that I believe had never been issued on CD before in Japan or the US.

I agree with the sentiments regarding seeing Mosaic issue something diminishing the chances of seeing it pop up as an individual CD, but I suppose that Mosaics help maintain some interest in collector's issuanace of CD's which may result in someone reissuing something in the individual format which I collect (to each his own; I have never been interested in box sets, especially for the reasons some other posters cite regarding the lack of art work).

Consequently, seeing individual cd's pop up after a Mosaic reissue does not bother me. But I find the opposite holds more water; once Mosaic has issued a box set, there is very little chance that the individual cd's will be reissued in the US. EMI has so much more than just Blue Note; particularly for me, I want to see more Pacific Jazz albums come out along with Roulette. So, to see the Sonny Stitt Mosaic come out told me, no individual domestic Stitt CD's on Roulette for quite some time (maybe ever).

Blue Note is such a popular label that it seems to me that nearly all the CD's get reissued constantly. As a Mobley and Morgan fan, I filled in Blue Note collection with the Japanese 4000 Series "The Works" from Toshiba; then followed the 4100 Series and the 1500 series. I am glad to see that some of those Lee Morgan's from the 1500 series that had long been unavailable in the US (or OOP, such as v. 3) so that the next generation of fan/collector can enjoy them. But, as I believe Hans and others have said, I do not chase the latest remastered version. It also tells me never pay any type of collector's price for a Blue Note CD (exception for the first US pressings with bonus cuts) because due to popularity they constantly reappear.

So, it is good that "Rollin with Leo" is back in print. I picked up the first Japanese issued TOCJ (as I did with the Parlans) and stumbled upon the US edition also (I think it has bonus cuts). I hope people enjoy the reissue. I would like to see more reissues come out of previously unissued Pacific Jazz and Roulette. If it has to come from Japan, fine. Was it last year there was a series of 8-10 Pacific Jazz reissues, some of which had never been out before (and reasonably priced)? I would like to see some more of that.

Meantime, dig in to some great music if you don't have it.

Baker

Agree re: the cover art on the Leo Parker. A good reason to hang on to the DMM LP ! Shame they didn't issue it on vinyl 'back in the day'.

Yeah! We'd look at albums on the BN inner sleeves and wonder how to get hold of them. And the one we lusted after MOST, was "Rollin' with Leo". They were all listed in Schwann so there was no way anyone over here knew that'd never been issued. THE most frustrating thing!

MG

Yeah and you were probably just as frustrated with Back to the Tracks and Dimensions and Extensions :lol:

BTW, the Rollin'with Leo cover is BADAZZ.

Agree re: the cover art on the Leo Parker. A good reason to hang on to the DMM LP ! Shame they didn't issue it on vinyl 'back in the day'.

Yeah! We'd look at albums on the BN inner sleeves and wonder how to get hold of them. And the one we lusted after MOST, was "Rollin' with Leo". They were all listed in Schwann so there was no way anyone over here knew that'd never been issued. THE most frustrating thing!

MG

Yeah and you were probably just as frustrated with Back to the Tracks and Dimensions and Extensions :lol:

BTW, the Rollin'with Leo cover is BADAZZ.

Well, I might have been, had they been illustrated on the BN inner sleeves or on the back of other BN albums (as "Blue John" was).

And it WAS the cover that made us lust for "Rollin' with Leo" - I still think it's better in black & white.

MG

I want to see more Pacific Jazz albums come out along with Roulette.

i agree with that. Pacific Jazz is one of the labels i'm most interested in and that gets reissued less. Blue Note is really no big deal. they are available all the time. i'm happy if they rvg some OOP album but that is not suprising. I'm more than happy with their current wave of reissues but i only hope EMI would think wider.

Is "One step beyond Jackie McLean" on a current Mosaic?

On the Grachan Moncur Mosaic Select.

Which should be out of print by the time this RVG disc is released (now listed in the "last chance" section).

Looking forward to the Leo Parker RVG. I already have some edition of all the other titles in this batch, though.

Available for pre-order at CDUniverse for $10.15 - February 10th release.

Paul Chambers Quintet

Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Horace Parlan - Up and Down

Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off the Old Block

Use the links to support Organissimo.... we still do that don't we...?

Available for pre-order at CDUniverse for $10.15 - February 10th release.

Paul Chambers Quintet

Grant Green - Grant's First Stand

Horace Parlan - Up and Down

Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off the Old Block

Use the links to support Organissimo.... we still do that don't we...?

Yes we do, or try to. Thanks for taking the time to do it! :)

I wonder if the mistake in separating tracks on One Step Beyond will be corrected for this edition. Was it corrected in the Moncur Mosaic?

Bertrand.

That was only an issue with the Collector's Choice version, the Mosaic is fine.

Also with the old US ("domestic") disc - or would a CD ordered from Trueblue in the mid/late 90s be a Collector's Choice edition? I've never seen "Collector's Choice" discs over here until I bought one recently (the Hackett/Teagarden Capitol twofer), and I noticed some Nat Cole pop-twofers (South of the border and stuff like that) are turning up now, but I've never seen a "Collector's Choice" Blue Note CD, would they be labelled someway? Of course I couldn't tell if there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap, 10 years ago...

NO, not the same thing, I think the Blue Note series was called Collector's Classics, it was a series of "commissioned" (distributors and retailers were asked how many copies of each they wanted) repressings of cds that were deleted in the early years of digital. They were repressed and sold with exactly the same packaging and remastering as the original cds, with the exception that, in all instances I THINK, the center trays were of white plastic (a la Toshiba).

I think there is some confusion here. The Blue Note series was called Collector's Choice (reprints of earlier titles, including wrong trackings!), and then there are the unrelated labels Collectors' Choice Music (which has the twofers ubu was referring to) and the defunct Collector's Classics (which reissued Henry "Red" Allen and Wingy Manone among others).