2009 Connoisseurs

Late

Blue Note's birthday brought BN spam which led me to the Blue Note site, where I read this:

BLUE NOTE REISSUES/MERCHANDISE

In addition to the continuation of Blue Note’s long-running RVG Series (for which the legendary recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder remasters his classic sessions) and Connoisseur Series (featuring lesser-known gems from the catalog), the label will also begin reissuing its core RVG Series titles as vinyl/CD combos. The label will also be making special digital initiatives available on www.bluenote.com and via digital retail partners around the world. In addition, during the Spring-Summer 2009 clothing company Friend or Foe will also present a line of their vintage-look, luxurious-feel t-shirts featuring classic Blue Note cover artwork and many other brand licensing efforts in multiple categories are in the works as Blue Note furthers its efforts of developing Blue Note as a premium lifestyle brand with licensing agent Fusion

So the Conns are apparently continuing, and one has to wonder what the "special digital initiatives" will be ... downloads of OOP releases that don't justify or a Conn or RVG issue? I'm also curious about this:

BLUE NOTE BIOGRAPHY & PHOTOGRAPHY BOOK

Acclaimed author Ashley Kahn (Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece, A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane’s Signature Album, The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records) is penning Somethin’ Else: The Story of Blue Note Records and the Birth of Modern Jazz, the definitive label biography to be published by Viking in Summer 2009. Blue Note will also be releasing a companion 2-CD compilation that spans the label’s 70 years. A photography collection that presents Francis Wolff’s iconic images from Blue Note’s early period alongside Jimmy Katz’s documentation of the current era will be published by JazzPrezzo.

http://www.bluenote.com/MainNewsDetail.asp...amp;promoId=690

Would like to see:

Sam Rivers' A New Conception

Larry Young's Contrasts

Jackie McLean's Hipnosis (maybe coupled with the rejected '68 session)

Tyrone Washington's Natural Essence (with the 'trainwreck' as a bonus)

Any remaining Hill in the vaults

Is there any remaining Hill in the vaults? I thought BN/Mosaic released pretty much everything that was left in the past several years.

Would like to see:

Sam Rivers' A New Conception

Larry Young's Contrasts

Jackie McLean's Hipnosis (maybe coupled with the rejected '68 session)

Tyrone Washington's Natural Essence (with the 'trainwreck' as a bonus)

I second those (particularly the Sam Rivers disc) with the exception of

Hipnosis - I'm hoping they'll pick High Frequency first. It's the last remaining

BN session of his that was part of the old (and long OOP) big mosaic box

and hasn't been put out on CD in other form yet. It's the only BN McLean

session that I don't have on CD yet.

Edited by Kyo

Bring on the t-shirts! Heck, I already have about 95% of the BN LPs/CDs that I want anyway.

"Lifestyle brand"?

Ugh.

That was my reaction. <_<

"Premium" lifestyle brand, mind you! -_-

Finally, some shirts....though that premium lifestyle name sounds like they'll be aimed at the health conscious crowd and'll probably max out at a size L that'll soon shrink to Med after the first wash. Horrors. I've already made about 15 of my own shirts under the 'non svelte beer drinking guys' label with sizes XL and XXL. You can hunker down and hide inside a jumbo Jutta Hipp & Zoot and blend into the scenery like a big 'ol bush while quietly sipping a bottle of suds. Should be standard issue for all combat pilots in the event that they have to parachute into enemy territory............with forests, of course. :ph34r: Navy SEALs get the camo 'True Blue.' This fool lost his --- was captured and will soon be toast.

catfish.jpg

Hipp.jpg

"Lifestyle brand"?

Ugh.

That was my reaction. <_<

"Premium" lifestyle brand, mind you! -_-

Is it true that a "lifestyle" is for people who don't know how to have a life? :rolleyes:

I hereby predict that "Blue Note Dads" will be a marginally significant demographic in the 2012 election....

so the BN cd reissue heydey is over, isnt that correct? it seems like every cd ive seen in recent reissue lists for a while now, i already have and/or aren't suprises....the only one i can think of in recent is you gotta take a little love, i didnt really know about or have on cd or wasnt issued on cd in usa b4 i dont think etc....//// its nice to see more early mobley/morgan dates on single disc

Hipnosis - I'm hoping they'll pick High Frequency first. It's the last remaining

Yeah, that session too! I'll take any McLean they throw my way -_-

Is there any remaining Hill in the vaults? I thought BN/Mosaic released pretty much everything that was left in the past several years.

Yeah, I didn't phrase that right. I meant, can we put on a single cd any Hill material that's on the Mosaic, but hasn't been issued on a single cd, that non-Mosaic owners don't have on a single cd. :P

Yeah, I didn't phrase that right. I meant, can we put on a single cd any Hill material that's on the Mosaic, but hasn't been issued on a single cd, that non-Mosaic owners don't have on a single cd. :P

I believe the answer is no. I don't have the Mosaic, and after gradually collecting the single CDs, I have everything from the box. It has all been issued though many of the individual CDs have gone back OOP.

I would like to say (again) that we do owe MC a big thank you for getting out the two Mosaic Selects, and I am particularly glad that they came out before Andrew passed on.

I would like to say (again) that we do owe MC a big thank you for getting out the two Mosaic Selects, and I am particularly glad that they came out before Andrew passed on.

Amen to that.

That disc #3 of the Hill BN Select (the absolutely crazy one with Woody Shaw and Sam Rivers) is still one of my top-20 all-time favorite BN discs, EVER!! (The whole disc - not just that first session.)

I second those (particularly the Sam Rivers disc) with the exception of

Totally with you on JMac 'High Frequency' - can't think of a BN CD I'd rather see released. OTOH, I've always considered 'A New Conception' to be something of a disaster, that the rhythm section and Rivers aren't in sync or something (I've only heard it twice, 25 years apart, but was turned off both times). Maybe I just can't hear it somehow, but I like the other Rivers BN"s and even his freer stuff on Impulse! etc. just fine.

It'll be interesting to see what Cuscuna selects for the 2009 batch. The series has been going since 1994! Hard to believe. I can't really think of that many Blue Note titles that haven't seen CD issue at one time or another — U.S. or Japan, single disc or Mosaic — that might be in this new batch. I suppose we'll eventually see Tyrone Washington's session (the TOCJ works for me though) sans trainwreck. Personally, I'd be more interested in what could be excavated from Pacific Jazz, Colpix, United Artists, Solid State, and any other associated arcane labels.

Otherwise, though I have the respective Mosaics, I'd welcome the aforementioned Rivers and McLean titles.

Maybe someday Cuscuna will put out an Art Hodes Blue Note Mosaic Select. I'd be all over that.

It'll be interesting to see what Cuscuna selects for the 2009 batch. The series has been going since 1994! Hard to believe. I can't really think of that many Blue Note titles that haven't seen CD issue at one time or another — U.S. or Japan, single disc or Mosaic — that might be in this new batch. I suppose we'll eventually see Tyrone Washington's session (the TOCJ works for me though) sans trainwreck. Personally, I'd be more interested in what could be excavated from Pacific Jazz, Colpix, United Artists, Solid State, and any other associated arcane labels.

I completely agree; starting with Pacific Jazz reissues that have never been reissued here or in Japan. Or, United Artists, such as "Something Tender" by Bud Freeman, which I believe has never been reissued on CD. Yet, when Mosaic issued singles, it reissued the Bud Freeman RCA album of Chicago jazz, a great one, but one also readily available as a legitimate Fresh Sound RCA reissue.

Offer limited quantities of material for first time reissues. The West Coast Classics series is what I would want to see more of. Nearly all of them had been previously unavailable (Mulligan, Picture of Heath to the contrary).

If selling CD's is becoming more of a collectors' or niche market, then appeal that audience.

I completely agree; starting with Pacific Jazz reissues that have never been reissued here or in Japan.

I thought that was what Mighty Quinn was going to be all about with the Pepper Adams, Don Ellis, etc material? Have they shifted gears?

Maybe those reissues were so successful they decided to stop.