Woody Shaw - Elektra Musician Reissues

Head Man

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the discographical details (which I couldn't recall very well -- I don't have the LP's myself, though I think I may have heard one of them years ago)...

Live at The Jazz Forum, NYC; February 25, 1982

WS - tp, flg; Steve Turre - tb; Mulgrew Miller - p; Stafford James - b; Tony Reedus - dr; Bobby Hutcherson - vbs.

1. 400 Years Ago Tomorrow (Davis) 10:29

2. Diane (Rapee/Pollack) 10:26

3. Misterioso (Monk) 17:16

4. Sweet Love of Mine (WS) 9:42

5. Orange Crescent (Turre) 11:33

6. To Kill A Brick (WS) 11:30

7. Apex (Miller) 10:50

8. All The Things You Are (Kern/Hammerstein) 12:58

Woody Shaw -- Master of the Art: tracks 1-4

Woody Shaw -- Night Music: tracks 5-8

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Reminds me I also really need to get vols. 3 & 4 of the Highnote live Woody Shaw series (since vols. 1 & 2 are so wonderful).

Not to confuse things, but here are the details of that series (which is NOT the same thing as the Elektra live recordings)...

date: 1979-1980. Woody Shaw Live [at the Keystone Korner], Vol. 1- 4.

Shaw, Woody - tp; Jefferson, Carter - ts, ss (1-4, 7-8); Turre, Steve - tb (5-6, 9, 12-18); Willis, Larry - p (1-16); Miller, Mulgrew - p (17-18); James, Stafford - b; Lewis, Victor - dr.

1. Love Dance (Bonner) 15:50

2. Light Valley (Willis) 11:32

3. Why (Lewis) 18:58

4. Stepping Stone (WS) 10:58

5. Rahsaan's Run (WS) 11:48

6. What Is This Thing Called Love (Porter) 12:54

7. The Legend of Cheops (Lewis) 16:52

8. Isabel the Liberator (Willis) 17:05

9. Teotiuacan (James) 12:34

10. Organ Grinder (WS) 10:02

11. Little Red's Fantasy (WS) 10:43

12. When Lights Are Low (Carter/Williams) 9:53

13. The Time Is Right (Singh) 13:36

14. It Could Happen To You (Burke/Van Heusen) 13:23

15. OPEC (WS) 11:42

16. Bye Bye Blackbird (Dixon/Henderson) 12:43

17. Ginseng People (Turre) 11:37

18. Seventh Avenue (Lewis) 14:08

Shaw, Woody -- Live, volume 1 (1-4) -- HighNote HCD 7051, 2000 (CD)

Shaw, Woody -- Live, volume 2 (5-8) -- HighNote HCD 7089, 2001 (CD)

Shaw, Woody -- Live, volume 3 (9-11, 17-18) -- HighNote HCD 7102, 2002 (CD)

Shaw, Woody -- Live, volume 4 (12-16) -- HighNote HCD 7139, 2005 (CD)

I think we're really lucky to have so many LIVE Woody Shaw recordings out there (over 10 hours, by my rough count). There's these two Elektras, the four HighNotes, the larger 'Berlin' group on Muse, the double-disc on BN (the one with a bunch of Monk tunes), plus a couple probably grey-market Reds out there too. I may even be forgetting one or two others, maybe.

I think some of them are worth their weight in gold. When Woody was 'on' (which I'll admit, wasn't 100% of the time), but when he WAS on -- he was maybe my all-time favorite trumpeter ever. icon12.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Can´t await to re-buy them as CD. Woody Shaw´s group from that period really was one of the highlights of the early 80s. I saw them live, of course. Woody Shaw, to me was something like the "young hope", a highly talented and very individual sounding trumpet player and each of the group members was just a phantastic musician.

The Elektra label, as I remember was done by Bruce Lundvall, who until then was the boss of CBS. That was the period when great music was issued or re-issued on CBS, until the time when Lundvall left. So, Elektra Musician was his product and many of the artists were former CBS-artists like Dexter and Woody. It was Lundvall´s idea to include a short interview with the artist at the end of the album. Woody´s interview sounds cool, but with Dexter´s interview something went wrong, the interviewer was asking only dumb questions about who plays in Dexter´s group, stuff that you either know anyway or can read from the album lines.....

Master of the Art also had an interview with Woody tacked on to the end.

Even without the interview, they still wouldn't fit on one CD. 94 minutes of music. The collector in me would want to see a specially priced two CD set with great notes and photos, bonus cuts, etc. but I'm happy to get two straight reissues after all these years and will snatch them up immediately upon release.

• 1 month later...

thanks Lon and Rob,

These still have not shown up in NYC - I continue to check J&R and Virgin. Nothing.

Welcome to New York!!

That's surprising. I used to hang out at J&R regularly until 9/11 happened, and they always received new releases on time.

I received my copies of these from CD Universe on the release date. If you're interested, they are still bargain-priced there.

speaking of Elektra, an off-topic question: was there ever a Vol. 2 of "Pure Genius" by the Max Roach/Clifford Brown group?

No, unfortunately.

missed this reply till today - thanks! would have loved to hear there's more and I'd only have to find it somewhere...

I think we're really lucky to have so many LIVE Woody Shaw recordings out there (over 10 hours, by my rough count). There's these two Elektras, the four HighNotes, the larger 'Berlin' group on Muse, the double-disc on BN (the one with a bunch of Monk tunes), plus a couple probably grey-market Reds out there too. I may even be forgetting one or two others, maybe.

I think some of them are worth their weight in gold. When Woody was 'on' (which I'll admit, wasn't 100% of the time), but when he WAS on -- he was maybe my all-time favorite trumpeter ever. icon12.gif

There's also STEPPING STONES, though the reissue may already be OOP. I got MASTER OF THE ART today--loved it and will probably order the other Elektra reissue tomorrow.

speaking of Elektra, an off-topic question: was there ever a Vol. 2 of "Pure Genius" by the Max Roach/Clifford Brown group?

No, unfortunately.

missed this reply till today - thanks! would have loved to hear there's more and I'd only have to find it somewhere...

I mena, there's probably more to be had from Max's holdings, but he never gave it to Lundvall to be released, at least not that I've heard.

Woody Shaw, to me was something like the "young hope", a highly talented and very individual sounding trumpet player.../quote]

Word. I've been seriously checking him out again. He had a way around harmony, which taken with a beautiful sound, technique and energy to burn, an exploratory nature in playing, writing, presenting, made him exciting to hear. And he studied the masters, as all great artists do. There's a Bye Bye Blackbird solo on his website where you can hear him harmonically taking Miles' classic solo apart, examining it, quoting it, and finally putting it in the funnel of his own musical ideas.

I think he might've been the last trumpet innovator and of all the popular players of the last 40 years Woody and Joe Henderson were at the top of what was being felt and said in improvised music. I did think Joe swung more, to be honest, not that Woody's time wasn't great. I would say he 'burned' more than swung, a different kind of 8th note. One of the things he brought to jazz that was fresh was a mastery and application of 20th Century harmony. Another was his use of intervals. He was even formulaic at times, but the passion never let it sound that way.

Edited by fasstrack