Natasha Richardson dies

very sad.

From the Los Angeles Times

Natasha Richardson dies at 45; award-winning actress from famous theatrical family

By John Horn

March 19, 2009

Natasha Richardson, the luminous British actress from one of the world's great acting families, whose performances ranged from the high-brow drama "The Handmaid's Tale" to the lightweight comedy "The Parent Trap" and the Tony-winning Broadway production of "Cabaret," died Wednesday. She was 45.

The wife of "Schindler's List" actor Liam Neeson and daughter of actress Vanessa Redgrave and the late film director Tony Richardson died at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York. The cause of death was not announced, but she had been hospitalized after suffering a devastating brain injury while skiing Monday.

"Liam Neeson, his sons and the entire family are shocked and devastated by the tragic death of their beloved Natasha," said a statement released by publicist Alan Nierob. "They are profoundly grateful for the support, love and prayers of everyone, and ask for privacy during this very difficult time."

Richardson was injured at Mont Tremblant, a luxury resort in Canada. The actress was taking a lesson on a beginner's run near the bottom of the ski area and was not wearing a helmet when she had what first appeared to be a minor accident.

She initially reported that she was well, but soon started to complain of a headache. Hours after the fall, the star of a number of acclaimed stage plays -- including "Anna Christie," "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Closer" -- slipped into unconsciousness, and she was transported Tuesday from a Montreal hospital back to New York, where she was surrounded by family and friends.

rest of story

i cant wait for the malpractice trial to start, she would be chillin' today, if they had immidiately opened her head up in surgery.... but instead, because "Zerprexteline" [or insert any fictitous drug-co. brand name here] bought the ninth floor Bucca Di Peppo the week before, they put Richardson on god knows what take two and call me in the morning garbage and , blah blah blah- and wham, pricesss diana 2009. alllow chewy to break it down: if there was a doctor who knew how to do surgery in that Northeastern American/canadian region, they prob. would of got him over there- but there WASN'T- all they have are a bunch of charlie parker immitators

The poor woman. It's really a horrible tragedy which shows us again how fragile our life is.

Personally it further ingrains my long standing fear and loathing of all kinds of high speed sporting activities. I feel unsettled just watching people skiing.

From all reports I've seen, the fall was very minor, and she got up and walked away, insisting she was OK and refusing treatment. It wasn't until later that she began to experience headaches, and sought medical treatment. Although I assume that an autopsy will reveal the answer, some have speculated that she may have had some pre-existing condition.

The whole thing is very tragic.

i cant wait for the malpractice trial to start, she would be chillin' today, if they had immidiately opened her head up in surgery.... but instead, because "Zerprexteline" [or insert any fictitous drug-co. brand name here] bought the ninth floor Bucca Di Peppo the week before, they put Richardson on god knows what take two and call me in the morning garbage and , blah blah blah- and wham, pricesss diana 2009. alllow chewy to break it down: if there was a doctor who knew how to do surgery in that Northeastern American/canadian region, they prob. would of got him over there- but there WASN'T- all they have are a bunch of charlie parker immitators

You're being ridiculous.

RIP. This is really horrible. Reading between the lines, the family may have faced a decision re. turning off the respirator.

Not sure if we'll ever find out exactly what happens. I don't really know, but think that the family would have to request an autopsy and then disseminate the results.

From wire service accounts, the original fall sounded so minor that no one may have taken particular note of it.

the autopsy is already underway.

minor or not, the fall was duly noted and paramedics were called.

the paramedics never saw her, however, having been told they were not needed and sent away.

as jack said, there is speculation she may have had an undiagnosed preexisting condition.

i'd hate to be the person or persons who called off the paramedics. their feelings of guilt must be enormous.

you are SO "out to lunch"!!! give it a rest already!

You're being ridiculous.

I hear the sun came up this morning as well...

I'm sorry for her family, of course. I am not familiar with her work, so I can't comment on the profession's loss.

This has been on digg for about 48 hours, since it was announced that she was brain dead. Am I the only one who feels that they should have pulled the plug then, rather than shipping to New York her body hooked to the machine? I feel that this is akin to desecration of a corpse.

you are SO "out to lunch"!!! give it a rest already!

What Valerie said.

You're being ridiculous.

I hear the sun came up this morning as well...

I know, sometimes though it's still got to be said.

I'm sorry for her family, of course. I am not familiar with her work, so I can't comment on the profession's loss.

This has been on digg for about 48 hours, since it was announced that she was brain dead. Am I the only one who feels that they should have pulled the plug then, rather than shipping to New York her body hooked to the machine? I feel that this is akin to desecration of a corpse.

I too am unfamiliar with her work. What grabbed my attention was that I ski Tremblant every winter with my boys - was just there 3 weeks ago. Not that that means anything, other than to see a place that I know for such beauty and fun be part of such a tragic story. Sort of sobering in the sense as I know that accidents happen while skiing, but from the reports I've seen, this one appeared to be a minor fall. My guess is that there was an undiagnosed condition that contributed to this tragedy.

As far as moving her to NYC is concerned, I was listening to the Howard Stern show yesterday (I know, I know - please this is not the thread to rip Stern - to anyone who cares to). He was pretty shook up about it as he knows both Neeson and Richardson personally and mentioned that he was speaking with Richardson just last week. Anyway, he says - and I'm guessing that there is some credibility based on his personal relationship - that she was basically brain dead by the time she hit Montreal and that the decision was made to move her to New York so that friends and family could say their final good-byes and come to grips with the tragedy.

I think I can understand that motive - especially with children involved, although I certainly don't claim to have any great understanding of the psychology involved with end of life decisions and the impact on those left to grieve the tragic loss. I also have no claims to understand how the decision making capabilities of those most directly involved with the sudden/tragic loss of a spouse might be impacted. Seems to me that he (Neeson) did what he felt was right for all concerned.

Anyway, he says - and I'm guessing that there is some credibility based on his personal relationship - that she was basically brain dead by the time she hit Montreal and that the decision was made to move her to New York so that friends and family could say their final good-byes and come to grips with the tragedy.

That's what the UK newspapers are reporting too. What an tragedy.

I never did ski at Mt Tremblant but reports I used to hear were that ice could be a problem and it wasn't the greatest of places to let beginners loose.