Fred Neil

AmirBagachelles

between his talent, his recordings, and the public's current awareness. If you like folk, folk-rock, or just GREAT singer-songwriter's best work, then I recommend you get The Many Sides of Fred Neil, or another good anthology. I listen to the The Many Sides about once or twice a year, usually after I read yet another citation of Neil's influence and talent. I love the authority with which he sings and swings. He's truly one of the best.

One of the great singer/songwriters of the 1960s. I second the recommendation of the Collectors' Music set The Many Sides of Fred Neil, which contains his Capitol albums Fred Neil, Sessions and The Other Side of This Life, a single and unreleased stuff, but above all I'd recommend his Elektra album Bleecker and MacDougal, which has his best songs in my opinion. Fred Neil was born in 1931 and died in 2001.

AMG bio

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm a big Fred Neil fan also. There's a great song on the Elektra album called IIRC "And a Little Bit of Rain." Apparently one of Dylan's first jobs in NY was playing harmonica for Fred Neil.

The songs on the essential Elektra album Bleecker & MacDougal are:

Bleecker & MacDougal

Blues on the Ceiling

Sweet Mama

Little Bit of Rain

Country Boy

Other Side to This Life

Mississippi Train

Travelin' Shoes

The Water Is Wide

Yonder Comes the Blues

Candy Man

Handful of Gimme

Gone Again

I became a fan after Mojo did an article about him about ten years ago. Remember when Mojo was good? The first thing I bought by him was the 2 disc set The Many Sides of Fred Neil which has already been mentioned. That's as good a place to start as any, especially for the price. I've since bought a few vinyl albums including Bleeker and MacDougal which I agree is great. I love that deep and resonating voice of his. It's a shame he couldn't figure out a way to survive in the music industry. The world is a poorer place because of it.

I pulled Bleecker & MacDougal from a cutout bin as a teenager - I was curious about him from the long list on the back cover of Buffalo Springfield's 2nd LP. I was not disappointed, although I always thought his way of singing blues was a little too straight compared to black artists ... but I was moved very much by his sincerity, even more by the songs on his duo LP with Vince Martin, Tear Down The Walls - just went downstairs to see whether I still have them. They are still there - will have to put them on tomorrow.

Edited by mikeweil

I pulled Bleecker & MacDougal from a cutout bin as a teenager - I was curious about him from the long list on the back cover of Buffalo Springfield's 2nd LP. I was not disappointed, although I always thought his way of singing blues was a little too straight compared to black artists ... but I was moved very much by his sincerity, even more by the songs on his duo LP with Vince Martin, Tear Down The Walls - just went downstairs to see whether I still have them. They are still there - will have to put them on tomorrow.

For someone who wasn't a blues singer (for a while he was part of the 1960s Greenwich Village folk scene), he did a nice job in my view :)

I always thought his way of singing blues was a little too straight compared to black artists ... but I was moved very much by his sincerity, even more by the songs on his duo LP with Vince Martin, Tear Down The Walls - just went downstairs to see whether I still have them. They are still there - will have to put them on tomorrow.

I hear you, but ...

I reckon Neil fits with a bunch of folks I consider sort of "righteous whitebread blues".

Others: Leo Kotke, John Martyn (maybe), Jack Teagarden, Paul Siebel, Johnny Mercer, Tim Buckley, Aussie harp man Chris Wilson.

It's a style/sound that has its own unique flavour and is quite different from white folks TRYING to sound black, though that can be cool, too.

Like JSngry, I too know Neil only through Nilsson's version of "Everybody's Talkin'" and Tim Buckley's (incredible) version of "The Dolphins."

I remember reading in his obit that Neil spent the later part of his life as a dolphin researcher in Florida, and that by that time he apparently did not like discussing his musical career at all.

Count me as a big fan, especially of the Elektra material (the Capitol stuff could meander a good bit, Neil seemed sort of in a haze in that period, but the incredible talent remained). "Other Side of This Life", "The Bag I'm In", "Everybody's Talking" and "The Dolphins" were all excellent compositions that received memorable covers. Stylistically, Neil had some similarities to Tim Hardin. His vocals were "bluesy" as opposed to "the blues", which is something different. The Jefferson Airplane, in addition to doing "Other Side of This Life" regularly in their early set lists, name-checked Neil in two of their best originals, "The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil" and the magnificent "House at Pooneil Corner", which to me was their ultimate psychedelic trip (not that the entire Baxter's album or some of the other stuff on Crown of Creation was far behind). If you're into Tim Hardin and/or Tim Buckley, Neil is well worth checking out. For the younger crowd, if you're into Jeff Buckley, all three of them are well worth checking out, except for the 70's material by Hardin and Tim Buckley, which are many shades of messes.

Count me as a big fan, especially of the Elektra material (the Capitol stuff could meander a good bit, Neil seemed sort of in a haze in that period, but the incredible talent remained). "Other Side of This Life", "The Bag I'm In", "Everybody's Talking" and "The Dolphins" were all excellent compositions that received memorable covers. Stylistically, Neil had some similarities to Tim Hardin. His vocals were "bluesy" as opposed to "the blues", which is something different. The Jefferson Airplane, in addition to doing "Other Side of This Life" regularly in their early set lists, name-checked Neil in two of their best originals, "The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil" and the magnificent "House at Pooneil Corner", which to me was their ultimate psychedelic trip (not that the entire Baxter's album or some of the other stuff on Crown of Creation was far behind). If you're into Tim Hardin and/or Tim Buckley, Neil is well worth checking out. For the younger crowd, if you're into Jeff Buckley, all three of them are well worth checking out, except for the 70's material by Hardin and Tim Buckley, which are many shades of messes.

Agreed on all counts.