Blue Note quiz on Facebook

bluesForBartok

Greetings,

I've not posted here in long time so at first glance this may seem like spam. It is not. I'm a web developer for EMI (and a passionate blue note fan of many years) and I just launched a Blue Note quiz on Facebook. You can find it here.

For those of you w/ FB accounts I hope you take the quiz and I look forward to your comments. Some of the questions will be painfully obvious to a lot of you here but I hope that you will find some of the questions challenging. I dug pretty deep including pulling some information from Ashley Kahn's forthcoming book.

BTW I thought the Artist forum was the best place to post this but if the admin finds that this post is not in the right place / forum on the BB please feel free to move.

Again I look forward to your comments and look for me on FB.

Walter Gross aka bluesForBartok

Edited by bluesForBartok

Wow, that was kinda tough; it humbled me :huh: . On average, I scored nothing more than 50%. I think maybe out of each quiz, I definitely knew two answers; the others were pretty difficult for me.

(and by the way, I was even too embarrased to publish my results :o)

Edited by Holy Ghost

Greetings,

I've not posted here in long time so at first glance this may seem like spam. It is not. I'm a web developer for EMI (and a passionate blue note fan of many years) and I just launched a Blue Note quiz on Facebook. You can find it here.

For those of you w/ FB accounts I hope you take the quiz and I look forward to your comments. Some of the questions will be painfully obvious to a lot of you here but I hope that you will find some of the questions challenging. I dug pretty deep including pulling some information from Ashley Kahn's forthcoming book.

BTW I thought the Artist forum was the best place to post this but if the admin finds that this post is not in the right place / forum on the BB please feel free to move.

Again I look forward to your comments and look for me on FB.

Walter Gross aka bluesForBartok

Hey Walter, good to see that familiar avatar again. :tup to you and the quiz. :)

Yikes, that was pretty tough...I scored in the 60-79 percentile on the first two. Too scared right now to take the third... :ph34r:

Oh, you got the Lionel whatshisnames birthplace wrong too? :blush2:

Question for Walter: When the prompt pops up giving you the opportunity to post a comment on your own page as well as your friend's homepages --- well, what if you only want it to be posted on a couple of your friends homepages and not every single one? I wasn't sure, so I just hit 'skip.'

I'm ashamed, only scoring 60-79%. I got tripped up by a few of the "new Blue Note" questions and some of the pre 50's history ones but now I know! I guessed wrong that Mogie recorded 76 sessions for the label. I was thinking of his 25 leader dates.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Same here. Scored 60-79% on one, but only 50% or so on the others. Some of the "modern" questions tripped me up, of course, but I was embarrassed to have missed a few of the older ones as well. Guess I'll have to buy Kahn's book now! :lol:

Guest Bill Barton

You guys are bummed at getting 60-79%?!?!?!?!? I'll fess up. I flat-out flunked the sucker. In fact, I was ashamed to post it on my FB profile. Back to the drawing board (or the listening room.)

Thanks to all so far for taking the quiz. I'm starting to wonder if this crowd is finding the questions tough, perhaps a person w/ average knowledge of BN is probably not going to do well at all.

JSngry - Sorry but we didn't make a version that lives outside of the "walled garden" that is facebook. If you like I'll gladly send you the doc of questions / answers that we used for the quiz. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

By no means would I try to pimp FB on anyone but I gotta say it's pretty cool for reconnecting w/ old friends and networking w/ new ones. Unlike MySpace (the online equivalent of a bad neighborhood), all of the relationships and people you connect with are genuine. There is a little bit of the spam factor but it's pretty well controlled.

btw thanks for the shout out Dan. GO SOX!!!

Bertrand - yes I used to work for Sickler @ SFM. Boy that's going on 10 years ago now... I saw Don recently at a Blue Note event and he was as charming as ever.

Edited by bluesForBartok

ok i wasnt gonna chime in but screw it, that quiz (1st section, 1st 3/4 of quiz till i got mad) had absouetly NTHING to do w/ BN....bud powells left hand etc etc? is that from the liner notes of a Bud BN side, or is the BN connection in that its simply Bud....

---name the sequential BN sessions during the switcheroever from studio hackensack to studio eng. cliffs-

This Blue Note Organ player who once, according to legendeary old school seattle local organist NOT the saxophone player James Moody, said he saw him in **LA** , yes LA....in the 60s and he slammed like 1/2 a whisky bottle and fell flat on his face on the floor: he was Through!

a) Jimmy Smith

b) BabyFace Willette

c) that guy who played with George Braith

d) none of the above

(the ans. is b)