Dexter Gordon- A Day in Copenhagen

jazzkrow

Da' Bastards at Dusty have Dexter Gordon's "A Day in Copenhagen" on MPS.

Here is their write-up:

Unlike many other American expatriates living in Europe, tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon always managed to play and record with the top musicians while overseas. This excellent sextet session (with trombonist Slide Hampton, trumpeter Dizzy Reece, pianist Kenny Drew, bassist Niels Pedersen and drummer Art Taylor) finds him exploring three Slide Hampton compositions and a trio of standard ballads. The other soloists are fine but Gordon easily dominates the set, playing his brand of hard-driving bop.

With this line-up hard to go wrong?

Anyone have/ highly recommend this one?

Intrigued about Hampton and Reece's contribution.... or is it mainly Dex as described?

-Jeff

Very good one! It's more organized than most of Dexter's recordings, no doubt because of Slide Hampton.

The playing is well-focused and everybody contributes to the success... and of course it's nice to have Dizzy Reece in the mix!

This is a cheapo reissue series, btw, 9$ is about the max these should cost... (there you see it again, 9$ is probably our continental version of what you call the 1$ bins...)

An excellent session, and (as mentioned) much of the credit goes to Slide for his great arrangements. I really like what he did w/You Don't Know what Love Is.

Don't hesitate to pick this one up!

EDIT: Quite some time ago I transcribed Slide's solo on My Blues. It's a good one. All players play well on this one.

Edited by Free For All

Hey Jeff, you should have just given me a call. It's a wonderful session from start to finish. I've owned it for many years on LP, have listened to it often and finally was able to acquire the CD release when Dan Gould had a giant CD sale. Among the many highlights is Slide Hampton's uptempo arrangement of a perennial jazz ballad, "You Don't Know What Love Is". Cooks all the way.

I always thought this date was too "contained". Nothing wrong but not what I wanted from this group.

hm, yes, maybe... but I think it's exactly that that makes it attractive to me... the fact that it's not just Dexter blowing with some first-rate rhythm section (his Blue Note album with Drew is one of my favourites!), but rather there's some kind of "moderation" by way of arrangements (Slide Hampton), some shorter and more concise solos (Dexter could do that, of course - ample proof can be found on his Savoy and Dial sides).

This kind of pre-shades Dexter's participation in the orchestra Slide Hampton co-led with Joe Haider - there was a live double LP on MPS that also begs for CD reissue. Dex was happy blowing in the section and doing an occasional solo - must have been a nice relief from standing in the limelight all the time. The sextet session was a one shot affair, so that may be a reason for the containment ...

This kind of pre-shades Dexter's participation in the orchestra Slide Hampton co-led with Joe Haider - there was a live double LP on MPS that also begs for CD reissue. Dex was happy blowing in the section and doing an occasional solo - must have been a nice relief from standing in the limelight all the time. The sextet session was a one shot affair, so that may be a reason for the containment ...

It's on CD, I must have mentioned that five times at least, but somehow no one seems to take notice - fine stuff!

http://www.jhmrecords.ch/en/catalog/detail/jhm_3627.php

:)

• 3 years later...

A Day in Copenhagen is about my favorite Dexter release, and at the top of my list among Slide dates. Very well written and performed. The band plays well together. Too bad there weren't more dates with this band.

Re: Slide's writing and arranging on this LP, it is pretty much a master class on how to voice three horns.

He has a knack for making 3 horns sound like more horns. The half step voicings etc. Brilliance!

I have the British LP pressing of this on MPS/BASF. It's been a personal favourite since about 1976 - very good sound.

I like this date quite a bit - it's grown on me over time. Nice and tight.

Unlike many other American expatriates living in Europe, tenor saxophonist Dexter Gordon always managed to play and record with the top musicians while overseas.

This strikes me as kind of ridiculous and presumptive re: other musicians, as far as quotes go...

I originally had this on LP when first issued. Now have the earlier CD release. As has been said, one of the most appealing aspects

of this recording is that it is very different from his countless blowing sessions on Steeplechase, Prestige and Blue Note. Though I like

The blowing sessions, it is nice to see Dexter presented in a different manner.