Carmell Jones and Randy Weston Selects in "Running Low"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both sets very much. The Jones is incredible...it was a real eye opener. I'm not crazy about the material on the third disc of the Weston set, but the material on the first two discs is essential.

The Carmell Jones Set arrived here this morning -excellent music indeed! Perfect companion to the OOP Gerald Wilson box, BTW.

Special thanks are due to Chuck Nessa for talking Michael Cuscuna into listening to the folk tunes LP :g

I had seen Jones live once when he shortly played with old friend Lou Blackburn's Afro-Jazz band, Mombasa. Very nicev trumpet player and good-natured appearance.

Both sets arrived yesterday in usual speedy fashion. Couldn't be more pleased.

I did notice that the Jones was stamped No. 3711 and the Weston No. 3507. Both are licensed for 5,000 copies, so I would assume, if they are sold in sequence, that their "running low" status is due to the licenses expiring soon on both these sets, rather than the number available getting low. Does Mosaic indicate anywhere on their website when licenses on individual sets expire?

I did notice that the Jones was stamped No. 3711 and the Weston No. 3507. Both are licensed for 5,000 copies, so I would assume, if they are sold in sequence, that their "running low" status is due to the licenses expiring soon on both these sets, rather than the number available getting low.

As verified with Mosaic several years ago, the big boxes are sold in sequence, but the Selects are not (in fact, the newer Selects aren't even individually numbered).

I did notice that the Jones was stamped No. 3711 and the Weston No. 3507. Both are licensed for 5,000 copies, so I would assume, if they are sold in sequence, that their "running low" status is due to the licenses expiring soon on both these sets, rather than the number available getting low.

As verified with Mosaic several years ago, the big boxes are sold in sequence, but the Selects are not (in fact, the newer Selects aren't even individually numbered).

Thanks. It was an idle curiosity. I've never noticed, do they ever say that a license on a big box is set to expire on X-date, rather than just categorize it as "running low?" Might be helpful for a buyer who wants to prioritize things. But maybe there's a legal or proprietary reason that they would avoid doing so?

Thanks. It was an idle curiosity. I've never noticed, do they ever say that a license on a big box is set to expire on X-date, rather than just categorize it as "running low?" Might be helpful for a buyer who wants to prioritize things. But maybe there's a legal or proprietary reason that they would avoid doing so?

No, as Hans indicated, Mosaic never publicly reveals exactly when a particular license is due to expire. They also never indicate the reason--i.e., either expiring license or exhaustion of the authorized run--a particular set is "running low" or in "last chance." Presumably, this is proprietary information that, for marketing reasons, they don't want to reveal.

I had seen Jones live once when he shortly played with old friend Lou Blackburn's Afro-Jazz band, Mombasa. Very nicev trumpet player and good-natured appearance.

LOVE those first two Mombasa albums, and interesting to hear that Carmell had played with them (even if for just a gig or two).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember to thank me for the Harold Land Folk Music date. :)

I was going to make some pithy, witty comment to that effect (or at least attempt to), but then saw that Mike Weil beat me to it.

For those who don't have the set (nyah, nyah), this is from Michael Cuscuna's booklet notes:

Harold Land's Jazz Impressions of Folk Music, the final album in this collection, was recorded by Imperial, an independent label that dabbled in jazz from time to time. These July '63 sessions were the last recorded small group collaboration by Land and Carmell Jones (they would appear on Gerald Wilson's exquisite Portraits at the end of the year). As a young record buyer in 1963, I avoided this album like the plague. Every time I looked at the tunes, The Kingston Trio ran through my head. It wasn't until about 10 years later that Chuck Nessa insisted I listen to it, promising that the soloing was first-class. And he was right.

BTW, does anyone have a scan of the Harold Land cover?