JAZZ ON RCA VICTOR- what do u think of it)

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

why does rca print a little story where you have to read the story in order to find out who played on it, like some 2nd grade-test: why didnt they just print the discog detalis- theres a LOT of blank space not utilized on the back of this particylar cover--- RCA VICTOR is a respectible company: did their jazz dept. notoriously lack? or how did it stack up @ the time, comp. to BN, prestieg, etc etc as far as jazz is concerned

why does rca print a little story where you have to read the story in order to find out who played on it, like some 2nd grade-test: why didnt they just print the discog detalis- theres a LOT of blank space not utilized on the back of this particylar cover--- RCA VICTOR is a respectible company: did their jazz dept. notoriously lack? or how did it stack up @ the time, comp. to BN, prestieg, etc etc as far as jazz is concerned

RCA was a major label, which means that they were very large, and released all kinds of records - classical, pop, ethnic, easy listening, and everything in between. The number of jazz recordings on RCA is relatively small, and although a lot of fine music appeared on RCA, the packaging was not always created by jazz lovers or experts. Blue Note, Prestige, et al were geared to and created by jazz lovers who appreciated the importance of details like personnel and other minutia that may have seemed inconsequential to the general public.

I can think of some excellent sides on US RCA-Victor:

Bill Dixon - Intents and Purposes

Sonny Rollins - Our Man in Jazz

Sonny Meets Hawk

Joe Daley - At Newport '63

Gary Burton - Duster

Jeanne Lee & Ran Blake - The Newest Sound Around

George Russell - Jazz Workshop

Not to mention some excellent discs on European and Japanese RCA imprints by Mal Waldron, Steve Lacy, Lee Konitz, Charlie Mariano, Keith Tippett, Chris McGregor, Ray Russell, Tony Oxley...

Edited by clifford_thornton

why does rca print a little story where you have to read the story in order to find out who played on it, like some 2nd grade-test: why didnt they just print the discog detalis- theres a LOT of blank space not utilized on the back of this particylar cover

Sounds like the back covers of a lot of '50's Verve releases.

Time to call attention to "The RCA Victor Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz." What a great set. I still go back to it very often to this date. The sound in many instances is till unsurpassed. It was my introduction to Bird, Diz and many others. Whatever it's faults RCA has kept something similar (and in good sound) available into the cd era. For those of you unfamiliar with my first reference "The RCA Victor Encyclopedia of Recorded Jazz" was a series of 10" lps sold in supermarkets for 49 cents an 10" lp. I came across it just as I was getting interested in jazz and scoffed them up. INDISPENSABLE!!

Edited by Harold_Z

Like all the majors Victor has blown hot and cold over the years with its jazz holdings. I think their old Vintage series in the late 60s was one of the best reissue series ever done (even if the vinyl was sometimes of pretty poor quality!), and their subsequent Bluebird series reissued a lot of very fine music. Now, of course, they're part of the mammoth Sony/BMG. Who among us "old-timers" would ever have thought that Victor and Columbia would be owned by the same company? Bizarre!

greg mo

Sonny Meets Hawk

Gary Burton - Duster

Not to mention some excellent discs on European and Japanese RCA imprints by Mal Waldron, Steve Lacy, Lee Konitz, Charlie Mariano, Keith Tippett, Chris McGregor, Ray Russell, Tony Oxley...

Sadly Intents & Purposes never has made it to CD.

Sad to say, who is actually playing the music is not important to many people.

Was watching on You-Tube yesterday Frankly Jazz - The Lighthouse Allstars. The announcer only told the viewer who the bass and tenor were. At the end of the program everybody involved with the show was listed in the credits but not the musicians.

How many movies have we watched that feature a solo musician in the score who does not get mentioned in the credits?

RCA has a mixed track record in their handling of jazz.

Al Hurt was not marketed as a jazz musician.

RCA did some very shabby production for even their best jazz artists.

I don't think Sonny Rollins was handled well or understood by the company at all, though he produced some of his best work under them.

George Avakian's notes for "Our Man In Jazz" shows no understanding of the music on the record. His writing is just bullshit.

Edited by flat5

TV Action Jazz!

Stanley Wilson's music for the "M-Squad" show comes to mind. He had some excellent players on it like Pete Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Benny Carter and Red Mitchell!

Sonny Meets Hawk

Gary Burton - Duster

Ornette Coleman's Forms and Sounds. Great album cover, which the Bluebird cd issue didn't use.

The 'Jazz Workshop' series was a major program!

Also the Al Cohn sessions!

... and so many more!

Agreed. That's the kind of 50s jazz I was thinking of when I said RCA wasn't THAT bad in the jazz field at that time.

... and so many more!

Lou Levy, Pete Jolly, Nick Travis, Tony Scott, Shorty Rogers, Red Norvo, etc.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

i just wanted to know, how RCA, the GREAT RCA, could do something so assinine like put the session/personel info buried in this love letter on the back to you.

Many, many 50s/60s labels did just that, not just "majors" or other labels not focusing primarily on jazz but also Verve (as mentioned above). Musicians mentioned somewhere in the sales blurb disguised as liner notes, no recording dates, etc.