Joe Henderson Milestone Years

Gary

I maybe should have qualified by question to ask if there was anything that Fantasy owned with Joe, that wasn't on the Milestone box, from the same time-period (as the Milestone box).

Is the Flora Purim material included?

Only the tracks Joe played on (an overdub session).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

i think black narcissus is a great session and it is about the only session on this disc which isn't available solo but should be.

i guess the bonus track from canyon lady is good too but not worth buying the box for.

too bad crappy concord probably won't be issuing black narcissus anytime soon.

Power to the People is one of the greatest LP's Mr Henderson ever recorded, IMHO. Got the original LP, nice shape, just great.................Italian CD reissue with cardboard sleeve cover sounds mighty fine also........wonderful players, great tunes, really a gem!

I am with the pro mob on this one . I have had this since it came out as I was captivated by his Blue Note work.

I have gone back and forth to this set and now have it on my mp3 as a nice one to have on random

Yes it is different than his BN material ..more progressive. It was so good I was playing nothing else for weeks at the time. It is a little more used looking now. I treat it as a set as valuable to me as the Mosaics. The notes were also very good with it too.

I bought the Sonny Rollins set at the same time as I got a great deal but I was never so fussed with that - dunno why just never was -_-

Anyway take your time with this set and enjoy!

This is how box sets should be ( other than of course Mosaic!)

Fav tracks are the live ones at the moment

Andy :tup

Guest akanalog

Power To The People has never been issued as a single CD in the U.S.

Bertrand.

i just sold my box and bought an individual power to the people here in nyc the other day. i hate that crappy italian company-all the discs come scratched (had some coryells and a catapilla album issued by them too) but i would say that power to the people is readily available in america individually.

I recommend the set - it's a fascinating selection of material. In fact it was one of the very first CD box sets I ever bought (at 20% off, if I recall correctly B-) ). Some of it of its time, perhaps, but an important chunk of Joe's discography. I find some of the more obscue material in this box e.g 'Canyon Lady' and the Luis Gasca tracks to be some of the most enjoyable listening. Overall, the 'Power To The People' material is probably the strongest. That session is well up to 'A1' Blue Note standards of the era.

• 10 months later...
Guest akanalog

yeah black narcissus is about my favorite album on that set.

i would say pick up what is available singly (or as two-fers) right now and hopefully black narcissus will join that group soon if concord isn't pure scum.

personally i would rather have the original albums with the artwork and whatnot. also there are some tracks on the box set from albums that are not fully represented (only a track or three) and at some point you might find you have duplication in your collection.

the only reason i can say to buy the set (i owned and sold it and now have whatever is available as an OJC plus the sketchy italian "power to the people") is that there is a bonus track from "canyon lady" which is pretty cool and not available otherwise.

• 1 year later...

Bump...

I'm just listening to this box (which I got used for €70,-) and I really can't say which of the included albums I dig most - it's all good, and I mean *really* good! :D It's funny that I ended up getting the box at the same time that Power to the People was finally issued as an individual CD by Concord - I'm sure the box wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if I'd owned that album before, but I had already made up my mind to go for the box when the Keepnews Collection stuff came out. And in retrospect I'm glad I did - there's just sooo much great music to explore here! And I really like the Flora Purim tracks, will certainly be getting more of her Milestone material from eMusic soon! :)

I got this years ago as a "boxless" box set from Jazz Record Mart actually. They had the jewel cases and the booklet, but not the box itself. I think I got it for 50% off, or something nearly as good. Haven't played it in a while, but will probably do so soon.

AT THE TIME, I bought the first 2 Henderson Milestones and stopped. I thought he'd "left the path". Not much of later listening has deterred me from this impression.

He was a "consummate professional" and fine tenor player, but I viewed him outside the history.

Chuck, if I might so inquire, what do you now think of "Power to the People"? -- Joe's third Milestone release.

(BTW, I mostly agree with you about "The Kicker" and "Tetragon" being a bit lacking -- a 'step back' (or maybe 'backing off the accelerator petal' a bit, if you will) -- as compared with probably all his previous BN leader dates.)

I think "Power to the People" is the masterpiece of the Milestone years, and as fond as I am of "Inner Urge" and "In 'N Out," "Power" might be Joe's greatest overall record.

Total agreement.

IMHO, "Power to the People" is as good anything Joe ever recorded.

I agree. There's a lot of the fire of El Barrio / Inner Urge on this LP. Incidentally I love Mike Lawrence's playing too.

Guest donald petersen

black narcissus deserves to be on a single CD. too bad piece of crap concord would never do that.

tetragon is pretty good. i don't think it should be lumped with the kicker, which is kind of lame.

Why the Concord bashing? They just released Power To The People on a single CD - something that Fantasy never did (and they had enough time, that's for sure). Maybe if it does well there'll be more Henderson reissues like it.

Why the Concord bashing? They just released Power To The People on a single CD - something that Fantasy never did (and they had enough time, that's for sure). Maybe if it does well there'll be more Henderson reissues like it.

How many other records have they deleted?

And let's not congratulate Concord TOO much for reissuing PttP -- it was effectively in print.

Guy