Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

I got mine from there, yes... they arrived Monday 6/Tuesday 7 of September, all of them. Took way longer than I'm used to. I profit, of course, from free shipping (and deduction of the huge French VAT, too).

The Dixon is supposed to be out on the date you mention (or thenarounds), but the others have been out for a while now...

Played the whole Motian and Bowie sets so far - the Motian needs time, all except for "Misterioso" is new to me. This is a kind of music that I need more time to digest. The Bowie/Leaders albums are great fun, though, right away!

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you *did* order yours from amazon.fr?

I thought maybe you got them from dusty's and that was why you got them that much earlier... weird!

Amazon should be large enough to be able to absorb such orders and pre-orders in no time, one would think... no idea why mine took so long this time (they also arrived several days after the timeframe given in my order).

Anyway, great series, great price... and now the Dixon coming on - me = happy camper! :)

Played the whole Motian and Bowie sets so far - the Motian needs time, all except for "Misterioso" is new to me. This is a kind of music that I need more time to digest. The Bowie/Leaders albums are great fun, though, right away!

Listened to both sets and came to the same conclusion, the Bowies are pure fun while the Motians are at the first spin at least a bit underwhelming...

Next the The Russells

The Bill Dixon set is now shipping.

Yeah, and I bet yours will be there a week before mine again :crazy:

Not that I mind... still haven't dug into the Russell and Taylor sets yet.

Felt like hardbop in the past weeks and that's been rare enough in the past years, so it's been mostly Horace Silver since Saturday!

What I'd like to know is why after two batches of 4 sets each time, they elected to put out the Dixon set alone, are they still going to keep doing them.

to me it looked like they tried to add the Dixon to the second batch after his death? at least that's what i'm, hoping...

Question for US customers ordering Black Saint/Soul Note sets from foreign destinations.......Most important.....do the sets arrive undamaged? I don't want any beat up dinged. dented box sets.......that's my major concern.....

I ordered from Amazon.fr and the boxes(Bowie & Taylor) arrived in perfect shape, no problems at all.

Just noticed that the excellent duet album "Flux and Change" is included on both the Pieranunzi and Motian boxed sets. Why Cam would do this is anybody's guess!

The back cover of the Paul Motian box says 'Flux and Change' star Paul Bley and Paul Motian!

The disc liner notes correct this and indicate the players are Pieranunzi and Motian!

Ah well, my Lester Bowie didn't even make the few kilometres from France to here undamaged. But then wiht just three discs in there, the box is half emplty and damaged much easier than all the others.

You mean they don't tailor make each box in accordance with the amount of CDS that's in it......I'm ordering the George Russell set with 9 CDS so it might not be a problem.....they must be making 9 cd boxes for everything.

Yes and no... the Threadgill with 7 discs won't close that well, but it seems they learned and made the Russell for 9 discs a bit fatter. The Bowie with 3 discs was standard size (same as the other sets with 5 or 6 or 7 discs).