• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT news about the Dixon!

But my sets from France still haven't made it :mellow:

I would think that the only one of the Dixons that would need remastering would be Thoughts. Cranked to 2 o'clock on my amp it sounds great, but it's recorded at what seems like a pretty low dynamic level considering what I know to be the dynamics of the music. If memory serves, Bill wasn't too happy with how it came out, but he liked to have his stereo at full volume anyway :-)

Also, the liner notes to these releases should be made available somewhere, as they are certainly part of the package (not to mention the beautiful covers).

Unfortunately, only Son of Sisyphus has liner notes--in tiny type. Also, only four of the CDs have replica back covers, so some of Dixon's artwork is not included. The other five have track titles and credits overset on faint images of the covers. Alan Silva and Mario Pavone are credited with "counterbasses" on November 1961.

GREAT news about the Dixon!

But my sets from France still haven't made it mellow.gif

I would think that the only one of the Dixons that would need remastering would be Thoughts. Cranked to 2 o'clock on my amp it sounds great, but it's recorded at what seems like a pretty low dynamic level considering what I know to be the dynamics of the music. If memory serves, Bill wasn't too happy with how it came out, but he liked to have his stereo at full volume anyway :-)

Also, the liner notes to these releases should be made available somewhere, as they are certainly part of the package (not to mention the beautiful covers).

Unfortunately, only Son of Sisyphus has liner notes--in tiny type. Also, only four of the CDs have replica back covers, so some of Dixon's artwork is not included. The other five have track titles and credits overset on faint images of the covers. Alan Silva and Mario Pavone are credited with "counterbasses" on November 1961.

"Counterbass" is straight repro of error on my original CD inner cover

As with the Haden box, the only one I've bought so far, looks like the artwork/notes weren't a high priority

If you live in the us,ordering from amazon.uk rather than harmonia will cost you less. the amazon prices in the uk have a vat price built into. When you go through the ordering process you can see that the price is reduced once you plugged in your u.s. shipping address.

similarly for Australia - ordered my Dixon set this way (Grooves-Inc don't have the Dixon & Russell sets on their database)

Edited by romualdo

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Dixon In Italy discs with the original CD issues? It sounded to me like (and this may have been an issue with the recording rather than the mastering) there was far too much noise reduction used on the original CDs. Cymbal attacks are muted, decays are too quick, and some of the quieter piano passages sound like they're being played under a blanket.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Dixon In Italy discs with the original CD issues? It sounded to me like (and this may have been an issue with the recording rather than the mastering) there was far too much noise reduction used on the original CDs. Cymbal attacks are muted, decays are too quick, and some of the quieter piano passages sound like they're being played under a blanket.

Don't have the original LPs or CDs to compare with, but the latest release sounds muffled. The rest of the CDs in the box do sound great.

Don't have the original LPs or CDs to compare with, but the latest release sounds muffled. The rest of the CDs in the box do sound great.

Thanks for that info...guess it was something done during the recording/mixing rather than the mastering. Andrew Hill's Strange Serenade also suffers from this overuse of noise reduction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Orderded George Russell set from Amazon.uk via harmonia mundi.....price is right ($46.00 ppd).....just hope it's gets here in a timely fashion and undamaged.

Just got hold of this too. Music that has somehow, inexplicably, eluded me for decades. Some outstanding music on here ('The Essence Of George Russell' an initial standout on first listening) and sound quality of the CDs is fine. Wish they had put a booklet with it though including good legible session notes and the lineups (without the need to get a magnifying glass out).

• 1 month later...

Up for any updates about upcoming releases. David Ayers reported the possibility of Anthony Braxton and Dave Douglas (on 24 Mar 2010), and Niko cited an Italian article that mentions Steve Lacy, George Lewis, Max Roach, and Don Moye (on 31 May 2010). Anyone have confirmations of forthcoming sets? Thanks for any additional info.

this link suggests that a David Murray set will be next (nothing to see except for the top line of your browser window which says DAVID MURRAY:DAVID MURRAY which is parallel to what you see for the other sets, e.g. this one... but obviously, this information should not be taken too seriously... (strangely, the David Murray BSSN recordings have long been up on some of the streaming sites unlike the rest of their catalogue - always took that as an indication that they have a slightly different legal status...)

this link suggests that a David Murray set will be next (nothing to see except for the top line of your browser window which says DAVID MURRAY:DAVID MURRAY which is parallel to what you see for the other sets, e.g. this one... but obviously, this information should not be taken too seriously... (strangely, the David Murray BSSN recordings have long been up on some of the streaming sites unlike the rest of their catalogue - always took that as an indication that they have a slightly different legal status...)

Is there a box big enough? :g